Jordan Bohannon intentionally misses FT to tie record | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Bohannon intentionally misses FT to tie record

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
Pretty cool moment from the Iowa-Northwestern game last night. Iowa's Jordan Bohannon made his 34th consecutive free throw last night tying him with Chris Street for the school record. Chris died in a car accident in the middle of his junior year in 1993 in the midst of the streak. So Jordan intentionally missed his next one so they would stay tied. Iowa pretty much had the game in hand when he did it, but the lead wasn't insurmountable, but I thought a pretty cool thing for Jordan to do.

Pretty cool moment from the Iowa-Northwestern game last night. Iowa's Jordan Bohannon made his 34th consecutive free throw last night tying him with Chris Street for the school record. Chris died in a car accident in the middle of his junior year in 1993 in the midst of the streak. So Jordan intentionally missed his next one so they would stay tied. Iowa pretty much had the game in hand when he did it, but the lead wasn't insurmountable, but I thought a pretty cool thing for Jordan to do.

What was the spread.;)

Since he died mid-streak, I'm okay with this. Normally I hate these things as I doubt anyone wants the "pity" record, even in death. In this case though, kind of a cool thing/tradition.

I do wonder what he does if the score is tied with 8 seconds left...did anyone ask him that? I mean, was it all contingent on time/score.

Since he died mid-streak, I'm okay with this. Normally I hate these things as I doubt anyone wants the "pity" record, even in death. In this case though, kind of a cool thing/tradition.

I do wonder what he does if the score is tied with 8 seconds left...did anyone ask him that? I mean, was it all contingent on time/score.

This. His heart's in the right place and it was a legitimately kind thing to do. So it's cool from a human interest perspective. But it's still disrespectful to the spirit of competition...not a huge deal, though. It's miles better than that women's game a few years ago where the opponent conceded the opening basket to someone whose leg was in a cast and wasn't physically able to play but was two points away from a scoring record or something like that. That was insulting.

My guess is you go for the win.

pretty classy move. and as a tribute i would also push him violently to the ground and spit on him to give him another free shot to start a new streak . a good sportsmanship technical if you will.

Last edited:

I wish that Northwestern would have won that game by one after that. All for feel good stories but come on... It's not like the record is gonna last forever... I'm sure that he was looking down from heaven disappointed that his team wasn't giving 100% effort

I wish that Northwestern would have won that game by one after that. All for feel good stories but come on... It's not like the record is gonna last forever... I'm sure that he was looking down from heaven disappointed that his team wasn't giving 100% effort

thank you, person with a heart of stone

thank you, person with a heart of stone

Not really that. I just think if he were alive today that he would be upset that this player put him over the team first