Jorge Posada hangs 'em up | Syracusefan.com

Jorge Posada hangs 'em up

That's how you leave the game gracefully and he will be remembered as a Yankee legend and possible HOFer. As a Yankee fan, I thought he was a warrior at the toughest physical and mental position in baseball, he was a great hitter and personality wise he held the team together for many years as a bridge between the spanish speaking players and the american born players on the team. His only downfall was his defense as he was a terrible back stop and okay sign caller with a great arm (in his prime).

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a year off and then starts coaching in the Yankee farm system.

one of the yankee greats. Thanks Jorge for the memories!

I think he will fall short of the Hall of Fame, but he was certainly an excellent player on some great teams.

I think he will fall short of the Hall of Fame, but he was certainly an excellent player on some great teams.

I took a quick look last night, more so looking over the landscape than really analyzing Jorge. There are only 16 catchers in the hall. Only 9 of them I would say are your true studs. Only FIVE(!) played after 1950.

To me, the problem is just more hypocrisy from the writers that have way too much power in these things. They use the lack of defense as a reason to keep DHs out of the Hall, but then turn around and give no additional weight to playing the most physically demanding position in the game.Guys like Joe Torre, Ted Simmons, and Lance Parrish had much better gloves than Jorge, and bats that were not far off (especially given the era). Take away Torre's manager years, and none have the name power that you expect of a HOF. Jorge has that name power though.

In the end I think it comes down to three points...
- Jorge's work in helping to build the Yankee dynasty.
- Off of the top of my head he'd have the best offensive statistics of any catcher NOT in the Hall of fame, if left out.
- Once Mike Piazza gets in, it's going to usher in the new breed of catcher.

Starting to think the Yankees should have given him an invite to attend spring training. As much as I was disappointed in his "attitude" and performance during the first half of the season last year, he managed to pull it together and contribute down the stretch, professional that he is. With mutually agreed upon understanding of the expectations for the upcoming season, he could definitely slot in as dh.

The rings he won still don't compare to the glory of the ESPN commercial where David Ortiz tries his hat on and Wally catches him in the act.