Joseph vs Ennis | Syracusefan.com

Joseph vs Ennis

BonaCuse

Scout Team
Joseph was recruited to back up Ennis this year and get the reins in a year or two. Or three, while providing depth. I watch Joseph's game and I honestly think he's 180 degrees different than Tyler.

On the bright side I think he's more agressive, pushes the ball (a flaw and my one complaint of Ennis) seems to be a leader and looks for his own shot.

The downside is that I am not sure his decision making is anywhere near Tyler's. Too many jump passes and seems to leave his feet a lot before making a decision. Never saw Tyler do that last year. Joseph seems to be stuck in midair at times with nowhere to go.

Future is bright for the kid, but it's going to take some time.

One MCW seemed to leave his feet too much as well and they made the final four. I think he will be fine...

Joseph was recruited to back up Ennis this year and get the reins in a year or two. Or three, while providing depth. I watch Joseph's game and I honestly think he's 180 degrees different than Tyler.

On the bright side I think he's more agressive, pushes the ball (a flaw and my one complaint of Ennis) seems to be a leader and looks for his own shot.

The downside is that I am not sure his decision making is anywhere near Tyler's. Too many jump passes and seems to leave his feet a lot before making a decision. Never saw Tyler do that last year. Joseph seems to be stuck in midair at times with nowhere to go.

Joesph is much more aggressive, hence he will make poorer decisions and turn the ball over more than Ennis. Ennis slowed the game down and was more of game manager/facilitator.

Haven't had a chance to watch that much the last two games, but it's staggering to see the difference considering how deliberate Tyler was in his game. Not calling KJ reckless, but man Ennis was so composed out there.

Haven't had a chance to watch that much the last two games, but it's staggering to see the difference considering how deliberate Tyler was in his game. Not calling KJ reckless, but man Ennis was so composed out there.
Tyler was soooo composed out there but his game really didnt progress after that amazing Pitt shot. I still cringe when i think of those last two possessions he set up against Dayton. Just hope Kaleb can show more progress at end of season

I think ennis was worried about TO's to a fault, to the point that he was thinking draft status. actually I think ennis cared more about the draft than anything else. joseph is a much more natural player, he will make mistakes but he is more athletic and a better shooter. ennis is in the d-league is all you need to know.

Ennis' style of play resulted in less offensive possessions and less turnovers

Joseph's style of play will likely result in more offensive possessions and more turnovers.

Two different ways to get the job done. In theory, I prefer Joseph's style a lot more than Ennis' style.

Joseph is a Syracuse point. He plays our game. I'll take a couple more turnovers a game to get the Syracuse fast break back. Ennis was a good player, a good point. But he couldn't run the break and he didn't exactly make up for it in the half-court either. Sure, there were big problems on last year's team that Ennis could only do so much to solve but his great skill was his care with the ball rather than vision. Certainly better than others we've had. Jason Hart for one basically spent 4 years pounding out a groove at the top of the three point line in the half-court.

There was one play where Joseph pushed it when there was seemingly nothing there, forced the issue, penetrated past the defense and dumped it off to McCullough who got fouled.

Those are plays we needed against Dayton.

Very excited to see this style of play back again.

Short term I would take Ennis, down the road Joseph could be better. People forget what an unbelievable year Ennis had. I think losing that last game clouded our assessment of Ennis as well as the overall team. They had a heckuva year. By the time we crunch through this year we will be wishing we could re-invent last season.

I think Tyler Ennis was awesome. However, for this team, we need to push the ball and be aggressive on the break. I feel like KJ is better suited for this team.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would think JB wants to play faster than we did last year, especially with our personnel.

Sort of hard to compare decision making and ball security. Ennis was a once in a 20 year player in those respects. Kaleb Joseph is not that guy and we shouldn't expect him to be (who has been?)

KJ is going to have some dumb turnovers, that's expected. I'm a little more concerned that I haven't seen him do too much driving/probing of the defense as yet. I'm not sure why he hasn't done much of this, I don't think it is a lack of capability. But our offense, on multiple occasions, would have benefited from a drive to the lane and I haven't seen much of it at all. I'm sure he'll improve as he goes though. TE was a complete player on day one and I don't know that he really improved per se. He had a pretty bullet proof game when he started. That is what makes that last possession against Dayton so painful. It was the exact opposite of what TE did all year.

Joseph is a Syracuse point. He plays our game. I'll take a couple more turnovers a game to get the Syracuse fast break back. Ennis was a good player, a good point. But he couldn't run the break and he didn't exactly make up for it in the half-court either. Sure, there were big problems on last year's team that Ennis could only do so much to solve but his great skill was his care with the ball rather than vision. Certainly better than others we've had. Jason Hart for one basically spent 4 years pounding out a groove at the top of the three point line in the half-court.
For all his attributes, Hart would make me crazy pounding the ball at the top of the key.

People keep saying Joseph's a scoring point and looks for his own shot. I'm not really seeing that at all.

Agreed. And I'd like to see him look to shoot more. He looks to have a nice mid range pull up J, and can finish near the basket.

I am concerned about a lack of perimeter scoring this year, so I'd like to see him shoot more than he did in the first 2 games.

Short term I would take Ennis, down the road Joseph could be better. People forget what an unbelievable year Ennis had. I think losing that last game clouded our assessment of Ennis as well as the overall team. They had a heckuva year. By the time we crunch through this year we will be wishing we could re-invent last season.

I don't want to re-invent last season. That team closed out the year in dreadful fashion. I'll gladly sacrifice a 25-0 run for some success in the postseason. When I think of last year, the only thing I think of is losing 6 of the last 9 games and struggling to score 55 points.

MCW learned just in time that when you jump up in the air with the ball - you don't pass it to the other team.

One MCW seemed to leave his feet too much as well and they made the final four. I think he will be fine...

Just like the stock market: we didn't realize in the exuberance of the moment that that shot to beat Pitt was the high point of the season.

Tyler was soooo composed out there but his game really didnt progress after that amazing Pitt shot. I still cringe when i think of those last two possessions he set up against Dayton. Just hope Kaleb can show more progress at end of season

When our defensive FG% is lower than the other team, which it is most of the time, more possessions are a good thing. A very good thing.

Ennis' style of play resulted in less offensive possessions and less turnovers

Joseph's style of play will likely result in more offensive possessions and more turnovers.

Two different ways to get the job done. In theory, I prefer Joseph's style a lot more than Ennis' style.

Joseph is better than I expected, but definitely no one and done. Unfortunately it will be next year before he is strong enough and McCullough may not wait that long. Too early for me to predict the plateau for this year, but they have the talent and I prefer to be optimistic. They already are showing some comparisons to our 88-89 team, but that proved to be our highest scoring team ever and our PG (Sherman) was a Sr. So probably should forget that comparison.

Ennis was the real deal from day one. Too bad Joseph will not have the benefit of one year behind him.

Just like the stock market: we didn't realize in the exuberance of the moment that that shot to beat Pitt was the high point of the season.
FWIW Stock market hit a new high today.

I wonder if ennis regrets his decision at all. I see him on the bench at every Phx game now (cept when he got sent to the d league) and he just looks frustrated.

I get he is making a nice paycheck but that would have been there this year as well especially year 2

When our defensive FG% is lower than the other team, which it is most of the time, more possessions are a good thing. A very good thing.
Playing faster does not get you more possessions than the other team. The way to get more possessions and chances to score than the other team is defensive rebounds, turnovers and drawing less fouls than the other team. Speed of the game is irrelevant. Having a high assist to turnover ratio is very relevant.

Kaleb will be a better contributor by upping his assists, most likely by using his penetration skills. Playing faster will give him and the team more opportunities to have a higher shooting percentage but in and of itself, it does not give us more possessions than the other team.

Love both, but faster is better for me and Syracuse basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom