Joseph's Play Better Suited for NBA | Syracusefan.com

Joseph's Play Better Suited for NBA

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Very good article about KJo now posted on the Celtics' website.
http://www.nba.com/celtics/summerleague/071212-josephs-play-better-suited-for-nba.html

From the article:

When asked if he believes that Joseph will excel more in the NBA game than he did in college, Lue (KJo's summer coach) quickly responded by saying, “Oh yeah, for sure. He’s a guy who’s more of a slasher, cutter. He can shoot it. I think he’s strong when he goes to the hole; he’s getting contact. And he follows his shot really well. He’s a quick jumper – his second jump is really quick. I think he’s really good, I just think the main thing is to keep him aggressive, keep him attacking.”

I haven't watched a ton of either game, but in the bits I have seen he seems to be doing a better job of cutting out some of the wasted movement. The stand still dribbling shows he would put on always seemed to be hindering his game a bit here the last couple years.

Not only is the style of play more open for a slasher type, but the fact it is Kris was never suited to be the focal point of an offense. We all fell in love with him as the first man off of the bench, and that may be a role he grows into in the NBA some day. The stat that has jumped off the page to me most so far is Kris' rebounding. That tells me is is spending more time working his way to the basket without the ball, whereas he could be found floating around the three point line waiting for the ball last year.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/summerleague/071212-josephs-play-better-suited-for-nba.html

From the article:

When asked if he believes that Joseph will excel more in the NBA game than he did in college, Lue (KJo's summer coach) quickly responded by saying, “Oh yeah, for sure. He’s a guy who’s more of a slasher, cutter. He can shoot it. I think he’s strong when he goes to the hole; he’s getting contact. And he follows his shot really well. He’s a quick jumper – his second jump is really quick. I think he’s really good, I just think the main thing is to keep him aggressive, keep him attacking.”
Too bad none of those skills are very valuable in the college game. He might have been a real asset. :confused:

Who in the NBA now is actually a better pro player than college?>

And don't say James Harden.

I watched some of last night's game between Detroit / Boston.

Hard to glean much from a summer league game--they are tremendously sloppy and a lot of the players force to try to make an impression with their play. It actually reminded me a lot of watching an AAU game.

But in any event, Kris did some nice things--took it to the hole well, handled the ball well [read: didn't over handle it]. Didn't see him take any jumpers--seemed like every shot he made was right at the rim--but he was definitely active.

Didn't see Fab playing at all.

Who knows--maybe Kris will buck the odds and stick as a 2nd round pick.

Thats hard to say because a lot players in the NBA played 1 or 2 years in college so they are better pro players than college but thats mostly because they needed some time to improve and grow.

For example Kevin Love is a better pro than he was in college but he played one year of college basketball.

or Jru holiday and Westbrook. Same thing. They played 1 and 2 years.

I might argue Kevin Love. What he transformed his game into is unbelievable.

From the article:

Lue's answer made no sense; are you not allowed to do any of those things in the college game?

David Lee
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Steve Nash
Deron Williams
Rondo
Carlos Boozer
Lamar Odom

And you could argue Z-Bo, Stephen Jackson.

44cuse

How about LeBron, Kobe, and Garnett since they never went to college? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lue's answer made no sense; are you not allowed to do any of those things in the college game?
Good point. The difference is Kris might be better in a 24 second game -- faster transitions -- than in a 35 second game with more half court sets. And he might be better when he isn't the #1 option trying to dribble on the perimeter. I suspect a similar judgment was made about Dion -- he might be better in the pro game where the pace is faster. Now, how about Fab?

I would think Kris' ceiling would be a Marquis Daniels type career. A guy who kind of hangs around... would get more minutes on a bad team, but would be the 11th man on a good team.

I would think Kris' ceiling would be a Marquis Daniels type career. A guy who kind of hangs around... would get more minutes on a bad team, but would be the 11th man on a good team.
Thought that before, but his performance in summers (slim evidence so far) is making me wonder.

People can downplay summer league, but summer league means different things to different people. Some guys have roster spots assured, and other guys have to fight for a job. It's another open audition for other teams though too. Even if Boston doesn't work out for Joseph he might catch the eye of another team and open doors for himself down the road.

Good point. The difference is Kris might be better in a 24 second game -- faster transitions -- than in a 35 second game with more half court sets. And he might be better when he isn't the #1 option trying to dribble on the perimeter. I suspect a similar judgment was made about Dion -- he might be better in the pro game where the pace is faster. Now, how about Fab?
I think this is probably the biggest thing. Throughout his time at SU he reminded me of Todd Burgan in that respect.

I watched some of last night's game between Detroit / Boston.

Hard to glean much from a summer league game--they are tremendously sloppy and a lot of the players force to try to make an impression with their play. It actually reminded me a lot of watching an AAU game.

But in any event, Kris did some nice things--took it to the hole well, handled the ball well [read: didn't over handle it]. Didn't see him take any jumpers--seemed like every shot he made was right at the rim--but he was definitely active.

I agree. I only watched a few minutes the other day, but he definitely looked pretty comfortable out there. Had some nice positioning on some rebounds as well. I would have never have guessed it was the same KJ, but I was wondering if he was feeling better physically (and mentally) as well.