Jozy Altidore to Sunderland | Syracusefan.com

Jozy Altidore to Sunderland

Alsacs

Living Legend
Imperial you nailed it. I don't like this move just because I see Sunderland as terrible,
Any Sunderland fans out there? Are they contenders for Europa or best case middle of the table? I hope he does better than with a relegation desperate Hull City team. Is the goal for Jozy to get 10 goals in the BPL? Will that be a success with Sunderland? I know Reyna played for them, but I can't think of any other Americans.
Jozy to Sunderland

I have a friend from Newcastle and he is proud of geordies ability to hate on Sunderland. They have some pretty imaginative and hilarious anti-Sunderland songs on youtube.

I have a friend from Newcastle and he is proud of geordies ability to hate on Sunderland. They have some pretty imaginative and hilarious anti-Sunderland songs on youtube.

Newcastle fans are world renowned for their ability to hate everyone. They are the Philadelphia Eagles fans of the premiership.

Imperial you nailed it. I don't like this move just because I see Sunderland as terrible,
Any Sunderland fans out there? Are they contenders for Europa or best case middle of the table? I hope he does better than with a relegation desperate Hull City team. Is the goal for Jozy to get 10 goals in the BPL? Will that be a success with Sunderland? I know Reyna played for them, but I can't think of any other Americans.
Jozy to Sunderland

I like the move for him. Sunderland is a solid mid table club and shouldn't have to worry about relegation anytime soon. If Jozy plays well for them he'll bump then up to the top half of the table and promptly get snapped up by a bigger club. If he doesn't it won't be as bad as if he faltered at a bigger club that gets tons of press.

I don't watch Sunderland as much ( although will be a lot more with the NBC deal this year) but I always thought they had a decent attacking club - they just lacked having enough talent to get over the hump. Jozy will not be in a high pressure situation there and I think he could do well. It would be great if he did really well and could add even more American presence in the EPL alongside Dempsey ( I know there are others just having two Americans who become household names for their clubs would be great)

I don't watch Sunderland as much ( although will be a lot more with the NBC deal this year) but I always thought they had a decent attacking club - they just lacked having enough talent to get over the hump. Jozy will not be in a high pressure situation there and I think he could do well. It would be great if he did really well and could add even more American presence in the EPL alongside Dempsey ( I know there are others just having two Americans who become household names for their clubs would be great)

Sunderland is a decent club in defense and good in midfield but have lacked attacking bite in recent seasons. Jozy could help them there and they play a decent enough brand of football to watch. They won't ever get blown out 6-0 and theyll finish anywhere from 8-15 on the table in a given year.

I think Jozy will link well with Fletcher up top and they have a solid midfield core with Sessegnon, Johnson, and Gardner.

Sunderland is a decent club in defense and good in midfield but have lacked attacking bite in recent seasons. Jozy could help them there and they play a decent enough brand of football to watch. They won't ever get blown out 6-0 and theyll finish anywhere from 8-15 on the table in a given year.

I think Jozy will link well with Fletcher up top and they have a solid midfield core with Sessegnon, Johnson, and Gardner.

I also hope that this signing will allow Jozy to be himself just playing against better competition. He is in such good form hopefully Sunderland will not mess too much with what they want him to be on the pitch for them. Would hate to see him forced to take on a slightly different role and regress ( even with his added maturity).

I also hope that this signing will allow Jozy to be himself just playing against better competition. He is in such good form hopefully Sunderland will not mess too much with what they want him to be on the pitch for them. Would hate to see him forced to take on a slightly different role and regress ( even with his added maturity).

They need him for the exact role he plays with the USMNT. Otherwise they would've looked elsewhere.

Also, simliar to the USMNT he will playing with good but not overwhelming surrounding talent vs some vastly superior sides. So no chance he gets lazy by being used to having all his goals served up to him in the 6 yard box. If he scores goals he will have to work for them albiet not create then entirely on his own. It really is a good fit for both sides with minimun risk and fairly high reward potential IMHO. Hope he does well against teams except the one that is based in Merseyside wears red.

Also, simliar to the USMNT he will playing with good but not overwhelming surrounding talent vs some vastly superior sides. So no chance he gets lazy by being used to having all his goals served up to him in the 6 yard box. If he scores goals he will have to work for them albiet not create then entirely on his own. It really is a good fit for both sides with minimun risk and fairly high reward potential IMHO. Hope he does well against teams except the one that is based in Merseyside wears red.

I am excited to see how he does. If he can become a real threat for them and put up some nice #'s, hopefully that will help with teams keying in on him in the World Cup to allow for others to break through and get some decent chances.

Speaking of house hold names in England, I was watching the documentary Fox Soccer aired about Liverpool a while back (which was superb BTW whether you are a supporter or not). There was a scene where the manager was talking to a young fan, probably about 10 years old, full-on Scouser. When meeting the manager of his favorite club, he had one question: "Are you gonna sign Clint Dempsey?". It was awesome.

Speaking of house hold names in England, I was watching the documentary Fox Soccer aired about Liverpool a while back (which was superb BTW whether you are a supporter or not). There was a scene where the manager was talking to a young fan, probably about 10 years old, full-on Scouser. When meeting the manager of his favorite club, he had one question: "Are you gonna sign Clint Dempsey?". It was awesome.

Thats awesome- I love hearing that. Just need to get a few more Americans in the EPL that are effective like Dempsey..

I am excited to see how he does. If he can become a real threat for them and put up some nice #'s, hopefully that will help with teams keying in on him in the World Cup to allow for others to break through and get some decent chances.

I hope he can score at least 10 goals and get a few assists at least. If he scores 15+ it'll be a resounding success and he'll become the talk of next years transfer window similar to Christian Benteke is this season.

Sunderland finished 17th last year, 3 points clear of the drop zone. Calling them a solid mid-level team is perplexing. The days of Darren Bent scoring 20+ are over.

Sunderland finished 17th last year, 3 points clear of the drop zone. Calling them a solid mid-level team is perplexing. The days of Darren Bent scoring 20+ are over.
Di Canio is also a loose cannon that could go off at any second... Shocking he was hired with such a checkered past.
dicanio.jpg

Don't think he'll last the season, they are relegation fodder.

well here is to hoping jozy can put up 15 or so goals and be a large reason sunderland puts themself back into the mid table.

As a Spurs fan I was kind of hoping they would take a flyer on him given the current lack of strikers on the team, but i'm not sure he is the quality that Tottenham desperately need at the moment. Had they shipped off either Defoe or Adebayor and snagged both Benteke and Altidore I would have been ecstatic. Hopefully Jozy can score 12+ goals this season and really make a name for himself in the BPL.

They finished 13th, 10th, and 13th the 3 prior seasons and haven't been relegated since 06. Suppose that makes them mid table in my mind. They only conceded 54 goals BUT only scored 41. They needed a striker thus they got Jozy.

As a Spurs fan I was kind of hoping they would take a flyer on him given the current lack of strikers on the team, but i'm not sure he is the quality that Tottenham desperately need at the moment. Had they shipped off either Defoe or Adebayor and snagged both Benteke and Altidore I would have been ecstatic. Hopefully Jozy can score 12+ goals this season and really make a name for himself in the BPL.

What happened with the David Villa move? I thought Spurs had him all but signed.

What happened with the David Villa move? I thought Spurs had him all but signed.
He wanted to stay in Spain, had a relative at atletico, and wanted CL. Unfortunately because AVB did his best. I hope we keep Adebayor, sell Defoe, and get Benteke

He wanted to stay in Spain, had a relative at atletico, and wanted CL. Unfortunately because AVB did his best. I hope we keep Adebayor, sell Defoe, and get Benteke

I see Spurs needs as being similar to Liverpools which seems be reflected by constantly going after the same targets. That being said i was watching Benteke highlights this morning and am not sure he fits our style of play and likewise I'm not sure he'd fit at Spurs. He's a big powerful target man in the box and both pool and spurs seem to prefer fast, agile guys to dart in and out of the box. Benteke may be a better fit at a club like Arsenal IMHO or Man U if Rooney leaves. One guy I would LOVE to go after if/when Suarez leaves is Jackson Martinez from Porto. He is absolutely electric and you should check him out if you haven't yet.

I see Spurs needs as being similar to Liverpools which seems be reflected by constantly going after the same targets. That being said i was watching Benteke highlights this morning and am not sure he fits our style of play and likewise I'm not sure he'd fit at Spurs. He's a big powerful target man in the box and both pool and spurs seem to prefer fast, agile guys to dart in and out of the box. Benteke may be a better fit at a club like Arsenal IMHO or Man U if Rooney leaves. One guy I would LOVE to go after if/when Suarez leaves is Jackson Martinez from Porto. He is absolutely electric and you should check him out if you haven't yet.

Martinez isn't getting sold for less than 30mil gbp and he's also 28. Good for Porto but risky at this stage of his career. And not sure he would go to a team with no european football in sight... :D

Martinez is 26, only a few months older than Suarez who if sold would provide at least 30 mil in which to buy Martinez with. Hey congrats on qualifying for Europa... again. I always hear how big name players long to compete there.;)

Seriously though, I like Spurs team and have nothing against them aside form their recent Schiano style recruiting of Liverpool targets. It's not like Spurs and Liverpool are worlds apart in terms of ability. Last season they played 2 great matches with the home team the 1 point victor in each game. IF Spurs can land a striker you guys may compete for the title. If not and Bale leaves you could just as easily finish 7th.

That being said, any interest in purchasing a slightly used, goal scoring, cannibal chipmunk at striker? Perhaps for just a bit more than Martinez would cost us so we can buy another CB or CDM as well?

Spurs could have used Suarez all season but seems unlikely now given what happened. My hopes are for Benteke to join as soon as possible, especially after the David Villa and Gomez news and my other hopeful Emerick Aubameyang joining dortmund this past week. Running out of suitable options quickly.