JUCO S Doug Elliott | Syracusefan.com

JUCO S Doug Elliott

ConnectiCuse

Scout Team

of Mt. San Jacinto JC says we are in the lead. No offer yet.

Nevada, New Mexico and Wyoming are our competition.

What happened to this class with years to build relationships and the staff being "very pleased" with where recruiting was over the summer? I'm really surprised by the amount of JUCO kids they're working on now as opposed to HS kids (at least as far as I can tell as a casual follower here on this board)

What happened to this class with years to build relationships and the staff being "very pleased" with where recruiting was over the summer? I'm really surprised by the amount of JUCO kids they're working on now as opposed to HS kids (at least as far as I can tell as a casual follower here on this board)
I'm totally confused as well. First we heard the class was wrapped up and they were moving onto 2014 now in the last few weeks they've suddenly jumped into the recruitment of 10+ jucos. Doesn't make sense.

They've taken a few every year but this year seems excessive as well as late. Didn't they say the same thing about wrapping up the calss in November last year too though?

Hit a few snags on the recruiting end, but everything is fine. Relax I tell ya.

DM is not willing to take in some of the "studs" that were considered acceptable recruits 6 years ago.

DM is not willing to take in some of the "studs" that were considered acceptable recruits 6 years ago.
You are probably right. The staff knows what they are doing. Besides, with JUCOs I bet you have to offer 5 or 6 to get one of the better ones. In the past, we have gotten some under the radar guys and this year we seem to be competing for some of the more visible ones. Just my impression.

Doesn't KState do what they do with quite a bit of JUCO's?

Doesn't KState do what they do with quite a bit of JUCO's?

Yes and they actually have their own supply system for Jucos. Every year they place HS commits who have grade issues in one of five CCs in Kansas so there is always an on going supply of JUCOs for the program. They already have a commitment from these kids so they don't have to spend time recruiting JUCOs.

So why did we hit some snags? Why aren't they recruiting better?

You use Juco's to fill holes in the depth chart due to injuries, kids not panning out, kids not showing in a prior class.

I can see going after kids in the secondary, LB, and OL this year. And if you get a line on a potential impact kid at any position, you should add him if.

I like this approach and have been a fan of taking between 3-5 jucos a year depending on the need. Doug realizes that we need to shore up certain positions and that the quickest way to do so is with a juco. It is extremely rare in todays world to see a true frosh contribute. Look at AB he is physically gifted had an extra year and he still had a hard time. We need help on the OL and at LB. If DM feels that he can upgrade us with a Juco why not. If you read the interviews with these kids they are all excited about the academic side of Syracuse so i think that we are targeting high quality kids. Diet, Googins MB and Chris all contributed this year. I like the approach and feel as if we are going to continue with this trend.

I think the 1-3, 2-4 start really hurt recruiting this year. Most kids seemed to bail at that time

It's an urban legend about any coach saying recruiting was wrapped up.

Not saying its good but it's clear we need some immediate help at lb and safety and possibly on the line and these juncos all fit needs

So why did we hit some snags? Why aren't they recruiting better?

Not sure why "hitting snags" necessarily means they aren't recruiting very well. For the $ our staff makes they do a pretty good job recruiting and identifying players. My bet is that "snags" has less to do with the adults not doing their jobs and more to do with the fact we're dealing with 18 year old kids.

I think the 1-3, 2-4 start really hurt recruiting this year. Most kids seemed to bail at that time

It's an urban legend about any coach saying recruiting was wrapped up.

Not saying its good but it's clear we need some immediate help at lb and safety and possibly on the line and these juncos all fit needs

I guess but you'd think then that finishing 5-1 would have generated some significant buzz. I always wait and see on recruiting but I'd have to think anyone who has great vibes about how this class is finishing it up either knows a lot more than me or has much more faith.

Not sure why "hitting snags" necessarily means they aren't recruiting very well. For the $ our staff makes they do a pretty good job recruiting and identifying players. My bet is that "snags" has less to do with the adults not doing their jobs and more to do with the fact we're dealing with 18 year old kids.

Huh? I'm not sure quite what you're getting at. They get paid plenty to recruit and they are always going to be dealing with 18 year olds so they need to figure that out. As far as I know they may be doing just fine, but I'm not sure salaries or the unreliable nature of 18-year-olds are great excuses if they fall short.

Huh? I'm not sure quite what you're getting at. They get paid plenty to recruit and they are always going to be dealing with 18 year olds so they need to figure that out. As far as I know they may be doing just fine, but I'm not sure salaries or the unreliable nature of 18-year-olds are great excuses if they fall short.

I don't recall making excuses for them. I also don't believe they are falling short. So maybe that is where our viewpoints differ.

I don't recall making excuses for them. I also don't believe they are falling short. So maybe that is where our viewpoints differ.

Maybe I just misinterpreted. I definitely admit I have zero clue if they are falling short of anything. No clue. And, I'd argue, no one knows that. But from the outside looking it, it doesn't look great and my only point was that I'm not entirely sure what salaries or the whims of 18-year-olds have to do with it. Those are issues every year, right?

Maybe I just misinterpreted. I definitely admit I have zero clue if they are falling short of anything. No clue. And, I'd argue, no one knows that. But from the outside looking it, it doesn't look great and my only point was that I'm not entirely sure what salaries or the whims of 18-year-olds have to do with it. Those are issues every year, right?

I understand what your saying, your right, those are issues every year. I think the problem is some people had higher expectations than they should have just because it might have been hinted that recruiting was locked up. All of a sudden were out searching for a bunch of JUCO's and people think something bad happen. It's possible a few recruits we thought were coming here have fallen off the wagon but that doesn't mean the coaches are doing a bad job, IMO.

These things happen every year, we've actually been lucky since HCDM has been here and we really haven't lost a lot of recruits that were realistically interested in coming here. But every year the staff has been here we've been aiming a little bit higher and higher with with each of our classes. When that happens you lose kids you think you've got, that happens to all the big time programs. The difference for schools like Oregon, they just replace the de-commits with another big time recruit. We're not at that level yet, so I just think we have to expect these types of things to happen and it's not necessarily a negative reflection of the staff. I would be more worried if there was no back up plan or we filled these spots with no star - 2 star recruits nobody has heard of before.

Some of these JUCO's look like they can play too, so I'm not too worried about it. Were not going to live on bringing in JUCO's but some years it's a necessary evil.

I guess but you'd think then that finishing 5-1 would have generated some significant buzz. I always wait and see on recruiting but I'd have to think anyone who has great vibes about how this class is finishing it up either knows a lot more than me or has much more faith.

I wouldn't necessarily think that because by November a good many kids have their lists narrowed down and are starting to set up visits. Syracuse was on the outside looking in by the time we got it going.

I wouldn't necessarily think that because by November a good many kids have their lists narrowed down and are starting to set up visits. Syracuse was on the outside looking in by the time we got it going.

that's true but these kids are always cancelling and rescheduling visits. Who knows. if we were really in on kids, then they got disouraged by our slow start, I would think they may have come back around when we started playing better ... if they were that fickle in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom