Judah Mintz: Sixers Summer League | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz: Sixers Summer League

At the risk of further digressing...

Places like Vancouver/Whistler (I know, not technically this country, but it's America's Hat),
Sedona,
Kingdom Trails in VT, and -
Bentonville, Ark may beg to differ.

Pretty much everywhere has better beer than Utah, so there's that too.

Oh stop. You can’t win this argument. Kingdom trails is like one small area in park city. It makes kingdom trails look like you brought your kids to Dollar General for a playdate with the pool noodles stuffed in a box next to the vending machine. The amount of trails in Utah even makes the state of Colorado look weak. Just open trailforks and you’ll be packing your house and moving tonight. It’s unreal the amount of trails there. And I’ve been to Sedona/flagstaff, kingdom trails (and almost every cool place in VT), grand junction. Utah was insane.

Good post - the age thing and the start of the relationship is what's odd to me. The religion involved makes no difference, other than the assumptions that are being made as compared to if it was another faith involved. That said I wish the Mormon religion had it as together as my Roman Catholic leaders did/do...nothing "weird" going on there.
Let’s drink to that! All religions have issues especially the more extreme they are.

May get a shot with the Jazz if he is, may be his best chance at this point.
So in the 2000s Mormonism had its own amazing film Renaissance where all kinds of different cultural things were examined. One of the weirdest ones was Church Ball, aka the only brawl that begins with prayer.

It's not a great movie, but check out the trailer -

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I feel a personal need on multiple levels to set the record straight on a few things.

I live in Utah after growing up in Syracuse. This isn't common in Utah.

I'm also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). If grooming occurred, as alleged, that's not something we teach in the Church. I'm also responsible for what's taught in Sunday School for 7 local congregations as part of the calling I have (callings are volunteer assignments accepted by members to support their local congregation/s). My point in mentioning that is I have deep familiarity with what the church teaches and the material everyone teaches from. All of the various curricula taught can be found in Libraries at Homepage - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The current Sunday School curriculum is called Come, Follow Me. You can also find the training resource for teachers in the other manuals section called Teaching in the Savior's Way.

Now, I don't know the personal details of the relationship, but some things aren't adding up.

First, Mormons have a fascination with people from the faith that rise to the level of celebrity. We have a weirdly encyclopedic awareness of famous or internet famous people that are currently in the faith or were once in the faith. Supposedly Filipowski converted to the faith via his relationship with this woman. Nobody, including rabid Jazz fans that are Mormon, knew that until the brother's tweets. It's extremely unusual that a high profile athlete would be a member of the church and that would be completely unknown. Do we actually know for sure or have seen it confirmed anywhere that Filipowski identifies as a member of the church? I haven't seen that, and if he does, the circumstances are a bit unusual because...

Second, the church is really big on the law of chastity. The idea that this woman seduced him into conversion is just... bizarre. I'm skeptical that he would have been permitted to get baptized if it was known he was sleeping with her. The church is also big on teaching that the powers of creation are beautiful and sacred and should be expressed after marriage between spouses, not before. Are we even certain this woman is currently practicing the faith?

Third, and I've mentioned this elsewhere, there's a stereotype that "Mormons are weird" and far too often what ends up happening is a mental short cut, where something weird happens by someone associated with Mormonism, because "Mormons are weird," it's just quickly assessed that it must be part of Mormonism, instead of viewing the actions of the individual as their own, and the whole religion is cast in the light of one person's actions. It definitely seems like people are jumping to these kinds of conclusions with this idea of "Mormon grooming." It sounds sensational, Mormons are weird anyway, so it's believable to some. But it's also extremely frustrating as a person in the faith, and in a religion that is really misunderstood, and often caricatured in media. I saw a post on a Jazz forum that I haven't been able to find from someone that knows the woman's family and claims it's been years since she has identified with the church and hasn't gone to church for years. How "Mormon" is a person like that? Now, who knows if that's true either about her, but I do find a lot of news stories where people have committed a crime or done something terrible and part of the demographic details are that they're Mormon. And then later it comes out that they were baptized and briefly attended services years ago and weren't currently practicing. But the Mormon association sticks.

Now, here's the thing - I'm not saying that association shouldn't stick. Part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and the afflicted. People need help, and I'd rather my faith have open arms to the imperfect and try and help them (to say nothing of the doctrine that we all fall short and need a Savior). It's not better for religions to turn people away because they might be problematic later. Better to try and serve them and help them and hope they grow and become the best they can as they learn and follow good teachings. We're human though, so it doesn't always work. But it doesn't always mean that the thing they failed in happened because Mormons taught them to fail in some weird way.

To wrap up, and in response to the post I quoted, I wouldn't make the assumption that somehow she had a master plan to get him to Utah because of "the culture." There are so many things that don't make sense and are really inconsistent in this story. It is a weird story. Family estrangements like are alleged here almost always have an unusual element to them. But please everyone, be careful about casting aspersions on entire populations of people in religions and US states based on the alleged actions of one person.

Mormons aren't as weird as you're told and Utah is a boringly normal place to live.
Been to Utah and liked it and the people very much.

Last edited:
Judah is on the Sixers Summer League roster.
IMG_4897.jpeg

And so is old friend, Jordan Tucker…

Yeah, if what's alleged is true, it's weird.

What I'm trying to help make clear is she wasn't taught by the Mormon church, in the course of the faith's usual doctrine and teaching, to do this weird thing.

Young people in the church are taught in Sunday School to consider ways they can share the gospel with others, and to consider if s proselytizing mission or other missionary service might be right for them.

They're not taught to hook up with people younger than them as a means of conversion.

Thanks for you inside information. I've had neighbors that were Mormons. Some of the best neighbors I've had. Unfortunately, you know how people can be - they won't let facts get in the way of a juicy accusation.

Any idea how much $ these summer league guys get to sign with a team or is the Summer League just a long tryout basically so the players don't make anything?

Any idea how much $ these summer league guys get to sign with a team or is the Summer League just a long tryout basically so the players don't make anything?

All expenses, transportion, hotel, food, unless they have an nba contract like an exhibit 10, 2 way, etc. Amounts to on average about $1500.

Yikes.

Maybe I’m wrong here but pretty sure this is not a “good for Judah” moment. This suggests not even an exhibit 10 offer
I'm sure he declined a couple so he could prove himself in the summer league so he would get 30 larger offers. Gotta bet on yourself.

Yikes.

Maybe I’m wrong here but pretty sure this is not a “good for Judah” moment. This suggests not even an exhibit 10 offer
I just did a little reading, only two teams brought him in for a workout. Kid had two years left, probably left at least a million the table. Maybe they weren't getting the right feedback from other college teams interest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom