JUDAH'S BACK | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

JUDAH'S BACK

Richardson was in that morass of dudes ranked 20-100 where the differences between players are razor thin. He had a tournament run that made him stand out to at least one team and got him that first round guarantee. It's insanely difficult to break into the NBA and he got a 3 year runway. Once he got in the door it was up to him to stay in. Doing the Euro thing isn't what he dreamed of but he's making the most of what he's got. I don't blame the kid for leaving at his probable college apex. If he didn't improve playing full time as a pro I don't see how him returning for a sophomore year helps him. Also the next year was the no tourney probation 2017 season. More likely than not he stays in that 20-100 ranked blob and now he's a year older with more tape to pick apart.

Richardson was in that morass of dudes ranked 20-100 where the differences between players are razor thin. He had a tournament run that made him stand out to at least one team and got him that first round guarantee. It's insanely difficult to break into the NBA and he got a 3 year runway. Once he got in the door it was up to him to stay in. Doing the Euro thing isn't what he dreamed of but he's making the most of what he's got. I don't blame the kid for leaving at his probable college apex. If he didn't improve playing full time as a pro I don't see how him returning for a sophomore year helps him. Also the next year was the no tourney probation 2017 season. More likely than not he stays in that 20-100 ranked blob and now he's a year older with more tape to pick apart.

Just a correction but it was Raks senior year that was the no tourney season.

One game really. He was bad in the other games. I don't think he was ever a good enough shooter to make up for average athleticism.

Last edited:
One game really. He was bad in the other games. I don't think he was ever a good enough shooter to make up for average athleticism.

I don't begrudge a guy with a first round guarantee for leaving, but whoever scouted him should have been fired. He was an ok college shooter that happened to have one of the most high profile games in the tournament and he got drafted off it. It's like they ignored the rest of the body of work.

I don't begrudge a guy with a first round guarantee for leaving, but whoever scouted him should have been fired. He was an ok college shooter that happened to have one of the most high profile games in the tournament and he got drafted off it. It's like they ignored the rest of the body of work.
I think the scouts bought into his shooting form. It was textbook. It never materialized in consistent stretches. He and Cooney had the same stats that year. Mali was 13-45 in the ACC/NCAA tournament going into the UVA game. We didn't win those other games because of him.

He wasn't "bad" per se, he just didn't stand out as much as he did in the E8. I liked Malachi that year, he was a freshman starter who had an impact- and IMO, was pretty good. Lucky for us he picked the perfect time to have the game of his life.

He wasn't "bad" per se, he just didn't stand out as much as he did in the E8. I liked Malachi that year, he was a freshman starter who had an impact- and IMO, was pretty good. Lucky for us he picked the perfect time to have the game of his life.
Agree to disagree. He was 3-14 against Gonzaga and 1-7 against MTSU. I don't even think he was the best freshman on that team.

2015 was self-imposed ban. 2017 we were eligible, but were the first team out and made the NIT.

Agree to disagree. He was 3-14 against Gonzaga and 1-7 against MTSU.
I was talking more about his overall season not just the tourney.
JB knew how valuable he was and chewed him out, which in turn made him more aggressive, which led to his offensive outburst, and had folks proclaiming: "Malachi Richardson has gone mad"! :)
One of my favorite SU calls, and moments, ever.

I was talking more about his overall season not just the tourney.
JB knew how valuable he was and chewed him out, which in turn made him more aggressive, which led to his offensive outburst, and had folks proclaiming: "Malachi Richardson has gone mad"! :)
One of my favorite SU calls, and moments, ever.
Because of that tongue lashing, Malachi is a millionaire

I have heard several NBA team executives say that they really begin personally scouting college players late in the college basketball season & often only in person during March due to their schedules. It always surprises me how much of their opinions can be developed in a couple of weeks.

I have heard several NBA team executives say that they really begin personally scouting college players late in the college basketball season & often only in person during March due to their schedules. It always surprises me how much of their opinions can be developed in a couple of weeks.

I think that would make sense more for the front office staff, since the NBA trade deadline is in early/mid-February and that's their priority then. I'd have to assume pro teams have dedicated college scouts that are watching these guys play all year. A lot of them are part-time. I know a local guy that was college buddies with Neil Olshey at Le Moyne who used to scout games for the Blazers in Upstate NY on a part-time basis.

I don't know about that -- it was a late 1st round pick, you're trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Plus, the NBA cycles through 3 and D guys, so you're basically looking for someone who checks the boxes.

Which Malichi did -- he had the size, he was fairly athletic, he was a former McD's all american, and the perception was that he could shoot. Was he inconsistent? Sure, but he was also a freshman. And there was evidence that he could get streaky hot.

Also worth mentioning that Sacramento drafted 2G's about 3 years in a row, so they were clearly looking to fill that gap. Very little risk associated with taking a guy late in the first round. They took a flier on Mali [just as they had done the year before, with the 2G they drafted from Kansas], gambling on upside. Didn't pan out for Sacramento, but Toronto was willing to snap Malachi up afterwards rolling the same dice on upside. Not a fireable offense.

I don't know about that -- it was a late 1st round pick, you're trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Plus, the NBA cycles through 3 and D guys, so you're basically looking for someone who checks the boxes.

Which Malichi did -- he had the size, he was fairly athletic, he was a former McD's all american, and the perception was that he could shoot. Was he inconsistent? Sure, but he was also a freshman. And there was evidence that he could get streaky hot.

Also worth mentioning that Sacramento drafted 2G's about 3 years in a row, so they were clearly looking to fill that gap. Very little risk associated with taking a guy late in the first round. They took a flier on Mali [just as they had done the year before, with the 2G they drafted from Kansas], gambling on upside. Didn't pan out for Sacramento, but Toronto was willing to snap Malachi up afterwards rolling the same dice on upside. Not a fireable offense.

Mali's gone MAD! happened against Malcolm Brogdon, the ACC DPOY, and a consensus 1st team AA.

Scouts figured that if he could cook against Brogdon (who is still in the Association to this day), that he could do so against other legit NBA defenders.
He played solid, energetic D against Brogdon and others that day too, so it was thought that might also translate.

That... ended up not being the case.

I've always suspected he had a commitment from Toronto to draft him, but Baldwin (who also washed out) unexpectedly fell to them.

Last edited:
But that's not he comparison they are making. They aren't dreaming of playing for GTK Gliwice.
Few players do, because very very very (*) few realize their dream of being a starter in the NBA. There are ~390-ish jobs in the NBA, but they all don't turn over every season - only a percentage do. But every year there are at least another 60-90 kids (or ~20% of the total positions, let alone the ones actually open or potentially open) thinking that they're going to get the call. And the number of players who don't stick for more than a season or even a few games is increasing.

*I'd throw another very in there, but I think that's enough to indicate a 0.001% chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom