Julian Whigham | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Julian Whigham

Since I still have a scout subscription...here's a few tidbits from an article on him yesterday

He's visiting Syracuse Jan 20th
Coach Shafer was visiting with him this weekend
He ran a 4.55 in the 40 recently and is running track in the spring
Staff told him originally he would redshirt at CB but now he may have a chance to compete for 3rd or 4th CB
Sounds pretty solid from interview on Jan 6 (although his mom went to Miami)

IF he is good enough to be in the top 4 at CB, there is no way DM can not play him. All the best players need to be on the field next year, even if they blow a year "only" playing special teams. DM needs to go "All In" next year.

We also need to gain positive recruiting momentum as the program enters the ACC.

IF he is good enough to be in the top 4 at CB, there is no way DM can not play him. All the best players need to be on the field next year, even if they blow a year "only" playing special teams. DM needs to go "All In" next year.

We also need to gain positive recruiting momentum as the program enters the ACC.

The only reason I see him Redshirting is his size...he played at 175 this year and has "bulked up" to 180...

He finished 2011 with 10 picks, 60 tackles and 3 punt returns for touchdowns at a 6A Florida program that made it to the state semis...was named defensive player of the year for class 6A-8A in Florida..

The only reason I see him Redshirting is his size...he played at 175 this year and has "bulked up" to 180...

He finished 2011 with 10 picks, 60 tackles and 3 punt returns for touchdowns at a 6A Florida program that made it to the state semis...was named defensive player of the year for class 6A-8A in Florida..

Thanks for the stats, sock puppet. Very impressive. Sounds like he is going to play...

We see this every year and it's bittersweet. It's nice for him to have other teams after him but not if they actually steal him.

Per the unwashed masses:
When we landed him "no stars, no other big offers. Marrone can't recruit!"
IF we lose him "He was going to be a huge star and our coaches lost him! Marrone can't recruit!"
If we keep him "no stars, and no other listed offers. Marrone can't recruit!"
couchburn

Bottom line, we need to keep this kid. A 4.0 gpa guy in the secondary to go with other 4.0 gpa guys like Ford, Mungwa. Smart, fast, and talented group... sign me up!
Absolutely one of the key recruits of this class. If JW's as good as advertised, I see him in the immediate mix at CB or FS, especially with P. Thomas (and K. Scott) gone and Lynn's health compromised. Both Whigham and Ford are key next year. Even if Morgan commits, these two are essential to depth and talent at DB.

Absolutely one of the key recruits of this class. If JW's as good as advertised, I see him in the immediate mix at CB or FS, especially with P. Thomas (and K. Scott) gone and Lynn's health compromised. Both Whigham and Ford are key next year. Even if Morgan commits, these two are essential to depth and talent at DB.
Not looking at whigham as a safety

Agree, he was recruited as a CB and that's where he'll likely end up. If we also land Morgan, one of the 2 may be pressed to add depth at S, with PT and Fisher gone. And wasn't Mungwa slotted to move to OLB in the Spring?

morgan is a MUST...what about standifer I could see him getting minutes just from some of the "hype" I read... if we get morgan, standifer isnt a huge miss because he came on so late in the game.

I don't think we're in the game for Standifer. We're where we are with him because of our DC's relationship. TW may have also influenced. That may not be enough, because he has a ton of BCS programs waiting in line.

Why is Morgan is a must get? We have quite a few DB's at this point. I am not losing sleep over Morgan either way. Kid's stock continues to drop for a reason

I never said Morgan was a must get, but key for various reasons. Yes, he'd be a nice add to deepen the DBs, but not necessarily an immediate impact player. But another important consideration is we'd be improving our top 5 NYS recruiting ambitions with his arrival. Morgan's commit can only help future instate recruiting goals, especially downstate.

Not looking at whigham as a safety

Can you help with this - I've seen posts on this board that mention Eskridge as playing corner and Desir at safety - shouldn't that be reversed? Desir is fairly thin and I've stood next to Eskridge and he is a big guy. Probably the tallest defensive player we have that doesn't play on the line and was pretty well built last year so this year I'd imagine even more so.

And wasn't Mungwa slotted to move to OLB in the Spring?

I REALLY hope Mungwa isn't moved to OLB. It would be nice to have some big safeties for a change who can bring it.

I REALLY hope Mungwa isn't moved to OLB. It would be nice to have some big safeties for a change who can bring it.

I seem to remember watching his film and thinking that this guy was a linebacker all the way. Good acceleration, instincts, and hit like a jackhammer, but lacked deep speed. Normally I wouldn't have been all that concerned, but I also read a few scouting reports that mirrored what I saw on the tape. Wherever he plays I hope he is successful, I just don't agree that size should trump the ability to cover... especially since we are obviously moving in a direction of big, physical, CBs.

Can you help with this - I've seen posts on this board that mention Eskridge as playing corner and Desir at safety - shouldn't that be reversed? Desir is fairly thin and I've stood next to Eskridge and he is a big guy. Probably the tallest defensive player we have that doesn't play on the line and was pretty well built last year so this year I'd imagine even more so.
That's been me posting that. All I know is that the last time I got info about the team, it was that Eskridge was playing at CB and sticking to our 1st team receivers like glue and making them look foolish. Apparently Desir is an absolute ballhawk and has good size for a safety, which is why they are flip flopped.

Why is Morgan is a must get? We have quite a few DB's at this point. I am not losing sleep over Morgan either way. Kid's stock continues to drop for a reason

The only reason I think Morgan is important is because he is from NY.

I seem to remember watching his film and thinking that this guy was a linebacker all the way. Good acceleration, instincts, and hit like a jackhammer, but lacked deep speed. Normally I wouldn't have been all that concerned, but I also read a few scouting reports that mirrored what I saw on the tape. Wherever he plays I hope he is successful, I just don't agree that size should trump the ability to cover... especially since we are obviously moving in a direction of big, physical, CBs.

certainly don't need 'deep speed' to play safety; you're already starting 10 to 15 yards off the line of scrimmage when you have deep responsibilty. Bigger safeties aren't going to be run over at the POA.

That's been me posting that. All I know is that the last time I got info about the team, it was that Eskridge was playing at CB and sticking to our 1st team receivers like glue and making them look foolish. Apparently Desir is an absolute ballhawk and has good size for a safety, which is why they are flip flopped.

Fair enough. I have no problem with a big, tall and fast corner. Pretty excited about Eskridge and looking forward to seeing him as a lock down corner next year. I am a little concerned though about Desir moving to safety. From what I've seen he's definitely a ball hawk, but he's definitely very skinny as well (SUathletics has him listed at 5'11" and 168lbs).

Eskridge is a beast - big, fast,athletic and physical. Think Mike Williams, only at DB. He's exactly what you want to cover today's big WRs. It'll be tough to out jump 6'3", out run 4.4 or out-physical 200+lbs. Desir is slight, but the word from the get-go was he projected as a S. He's about 6' and maybe now about 180lbs. Ricky may not possess the real good speed for a cover guy, but he's a nice looking athlete and the staff really likes him.

Eskridge is a beast - big, fast,athletic and physical. Think Mike Williams, only at DB. He's exactly what you want to cover today's big WRs. It'll be tough to out jump 6'3", out run 4.4 or out-physical 200+lbs. Desir is slight, but the word from the get-go was he projected as a S. He's about 6' and maybe now about 180lbs. Ricky may not possess the real good speed for a cover guy, but he's a nice looking athlete and the staff really likes him.

Not to be a damper on the positive vibes regarding the future of our secondary, but this is why I really wanted Eskridge to get a shot at WR first. Haven't watched the tape in a while, but his ball skills looked instantly ready for college competition, and I think he worked the sideline like a player well beyond his years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom