Jurgy "We can't win the World Cup | Syracusefan.com

Jurgy "We can't win the World Cup

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Ahhh Jurgy we know it would take a miracle of sorts to win the World Cup. Even casual fans know that but taken into account we were a blown handball call from making the semis in 2002 with a less talented team ( arguably ) Is it absolutely impossible. I can just see Herb Brooks in the scene from miracle in the locker room before the USSR game " Guys this is not your time ...we cant win "
and his comment that most coaches would not have cut LD. ( but I did so I am really unique and if we win Im a genius and if we lose we were supposed to) this guy's ego is enormous.

Ahhh Jurgy we know it would take a miracle of sorts to win the World Cup. Even casual fans know that but taken into account we were a blown handball call from making the semis in 2002 with a less talented team ( arguably ) Is it absolutely impossible. I can just see Herb Brooks in the scene from miracle in the locker room before the USSR game " Guys this is not your time ...we cant win "
and his comment that most coaches would not have cut LD. ( but I did so I am really unique and if we win Im a genius and if we lose we were supposed to) this guy's ego is enormous.

I think it is a cultural thing.

Americans just never admit that they are not going to win. We may say it is a huge challenge or that we have to play a perfect game but we never just flat out say it ain't gonna happen.

Even if their team was the last seed in the playoffs, can you imagine Kobe or Jordan Or Jackson or Riley or Brady or Belichek or LT or Parcells or Torre or Jeter ever saying that the goal was anything less then winning it all?

Both Prandelli and the Italian players have said numerous times in the Italian press that that the favorites are Brazil, Spain, Germany and Argentina and that their team is level below all of them and that just making the quarters would be a successful World Cup.

I just don't think Europe has the same taboos that we do when it comes to admitting that defeat is likely.

Americans just never admit that they are not going to win. We may say it is a huge challenge or that we have to play a perfect game but we never just flat out say it ain't gonna happen.

Even if their team was the last seed in the playoffs, can you imagine Kobe or Jordan Or Jackson or Riley or Brady or Belichek or LT or Parcells or Torre or Jeter ever saying that the goal was anything less then winning it all?

Both Prandelli and the Italian players have said numerous times in the Italian press that that the favorites are Brazil, Spain, Germany and Argentina and that their team is level below all of them and that just making the quarters would be a successful World Cup.

I just don't think Europe has the same taboos that we do when it comes to admitting that defeat is likely.
If you have a team that has less talent, the first thing you do is convince them there is a path to victory. Soccer is a very fickle game, you can be outshot 15 to 2 and win. Was the champions league final 13 -2 in corners a couple years ago and Chelsea still won. Greece won euro championship what were the odds before that tournament. Hell what were the odds that the 94 team would beat Columbia. We have beat Spain when they hadn't lost in a couple years under Bradley. The odds are mitigated by having to do it 4 times in a row in the knockout stage but not impossible, especially if the coach doesn't cut one of our best attacking players before the tournament (sorry, had to get that in there) Having said that I do agree that they have different attitude across the pond......and that may part of JK's problem with our media in general.

Last edited:
obviously...............

still go to brazil to win the damn thing, thats a loser attitude. Our Ukrainian coach is already talking about winning euro!

I remember in highschool my friends that played soccer were very open about who they would beat on their schedule and who they would lose to. It blew my mind. They had zero expectation of beating some of the teams they played. Meanwhile, me and my meatheads on the football team got pounded by everyone, but were convinced we would win every game.

Maybe it's a soccer thing, not a Euro v American thing.

I take this as Jurgy wanting the rest of the world to continue to overlook us as we go on and actually win it all.

I remember in highschool my friends that played soccer were very open about who they would beat on their schedule and who they would lose to. It blew my mind. They had zero expectation of beating some of the teams they played. Meanwhile, me and my meatheads on the football team got pounded by everyone, but were convinced we would win every game.

Maybe it's a soccer thing, not a Euro v American thing.

Nah...you guys were just too stupid to know any better...:)