Just a quick observation... | Syracusefan.com

Just a quick observation...

SigChiChef

Walk On
I felt like Syracuse had a lot of games against teams that made the tournament and The Nit compared to others. So I researched...
Syracuse played a total of 19 games against teams playing in the postseason, going 5-8 against NCAA and 4-2 against Nit. 9-10 overall...add Pitt 11-10.

Duke played a total of 11, going 4-3 against NCAA and 3-1 against Nit. 7-4 overall ...add pitt 8-4.

UNC played a total of 14, going 5-5 against NCAA and 3-1 against nit. 8-6 overall...add pitt 10-6.

UVA played a total of 13, going 3-5 against NCAA and 3-2 against nit. 6-7 overall...add pitt 7-7.

Just found that interesting...

Just to complete this with all ACC teams bound for the NCAA ..
Clemson played 12, going 5-4 NCAA and 1-2 Nit. 6-6...add pitt 8-6.

Nc State played 15 going 6-4 NCAA and 3-2 Nit. 9-6 overall...add Pity 9-8.

Just to add on and maybe my vision is off, but how do the best teams have the hardest strength of schedule when often times a fellow conference member considered not as good has a very similar schedule yet the less good team has to play the better team. Which would make there schedule harder, right?...

I just can't wrap my head around that.

Last edited:
So Cuse had tougher schedule than all of them (given 21 total games for Cuse is the highest) and similar win % against tourney teams compared with UVA, Clemson and NCSt

We still got blown out. A lot. That can be interpreted as "giving up."
Computers just see it as "not good."

Regardless of these other things, that's the one that hurt us, IMHO.
And we technically won 19 games; Chaminade didn't count.

Even if all teams only played the ACC schedule, the bottom teams that did not make the tournament would always have more games against teams that made the tournament.
Our games vs dook or unc, we played a tournament team and they didn't.

We didn't get left out because of NET or our record against tourney teams.'

We got left out because we laid huge eggs against big time competition on national television with one exception. We got left out because we lost @BC, FSU, @GT, win two of those and even with the blow outs it would have been hard to leave us out.

So Cuse had tougher schedule than all of them (given 21 total games for Cuse is the highest) and similar win % against tourney teams compared with UVA, Clemson and NCSt
The NCAA teams are losing out on 1 or 2 games against NCAA opponents compared to thier non-tournament qualifying conference foes, so that does hurt their numbers a slight bit.

I guess we are behind the times with our scheduling. Years ago they would joke that Boeheim only played tomato cans in NY. When we would miss the tournament they would refer to our weak schedule and RPI. Now we play a tougher schedule while the Big12 beats up on the sisters of the blind to boost their NET.

We still got blown out. A lot. That can be interpreted as "giving up."
Computers just see it as "not good."

Regardless of these other things, that's the one that hurt us, IMHO.
And we technically won 19 games; Chaminade didn't count.

At the end of the day, you should be penalized for that.

How much - that's certainly debatable...

Strength of Schedule is not valued by the NET system. Not like the old RPI system.
Either change your schedule or be left behind. Some teams figured this out faster than others.

Even if all teams only played the ACC schedule, the bottom teams that did not make the tournament would always have more games against teams that made the tournament.
Our games vs dook or unc, we played a tournament team and they didn't.
That's exactly what made me think of the SOS point. Exactly why the best teams shouldn't have the tougher strength of schedule.

I should check out a few other teams in ACC that didn't make it to see how that compares to us.

Last edited:
So...
BC played 12. 1-7 and 3-1

VA tech played 14. 4-7 and 2-1.

Pitt played 13. 3-7 and 2-1.

Fla st. 16. 2-9 and 3-2.

Miami 15. 1-9 and 2-4

Last 1 ooc.
Nova played 20. 2-9 and 4-5...6 and 14 and they just missed tourney? 8 of those 11 games against NCAA teams were against 3 teams.

Last edited:
I was curious to check out other conferences.

The big time big12...
1. Houston played 15 going 9-4 and and 2-0.

9. TCU played 12 going 3-9 and 0-0.

14. WV played 12 going 2-9 and 0-1.

Mighty mountain west...
1. Utah state played 13 going 4-6 and 2-1.

7. Colorado St. Played 17 going 7-7 and 3-0.

8. Wyoming played 16 going 3-11 and 0-2.

So maybe Colorado St. could be a good pick to go far, they did just crush Virginia fwiw.

I wasn't planning on going here but...

So in conclusion, as far as at-large bids, if the point of the NCAA tournament is to have the most deserving teams and to setup the most competitive games wouldn't you want teams that have had the most success against others included in the tournament?

At the same time include teams with the most experience against teams within the tournament.
Is that too easy?
Sure there are some exceptions, say a mid major goes 3-1 against teams in tourney, include them. But forget about a P5 or 6 that goes 3-9 against tourney teams.
TCU out
VA out

Utah St choke

Strength of Schedule is not valued by the NET system. Not like the old RPI system.
Either change your schedule or be left behind. Some teams figured this out faster than others.
Very true but that wasn't my point. I started out not really having a point, it was just an observation I thought was interesting. I think a point was developed though, keep the selection process transparent, simple and fair...obvious I know. Not some formula that can be manipulated and in the end bull****.
To your point, by this incomplete exercise TCU figured it out.

So I just realized that 2 of the teams that came back somewhat unworthy of a bid are playing each other, TCU and Utah st...hmmm
It's a crapshoot at this point anyway but still made me go hmmm

I'm looking forward to the very thin Kansas team from the overrated big12 playing against maybe the deepest team Samford bucky ball

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom