Just a thought | Syracusefan.com

Just a thought

Rocco

Watching you.
First off, let's stop worrying about who is leaving as none of us have any control over it. We need to have blind faith in Shaf to bring in the right guys to keep the ship headed on the right track. It sounds, at least on the recruiting front, that they have been very well-received thus far by many commits/recruits. I'm expecting good things to close out this class, but more importantly, get a really early jump on the 2014 class. Oh yeah, and to hell with "stars". Can that word be banned?

Secondly, we do not know exactly what went on with the recent defections unless your name is Scott Shafer. It could have very well been a change done by Shaf in wanting to bring in his own guys. Wheatley, Adkins, Henderson and Anselmo leaving hurts for sure. But they are replaceable. Shaf may have told a few of them to beginning sniffing around. DM brought them all here, so they all ended up leaving with him. BFD. Next year was going to be a rough year with many of the offensive studs on the team gone anyways. I think we will be very good defensively. Offensively, we will be raw with a new QB TBD. The talent is there at WR and RB. If we can keep the new coaches for more than a year, I think things will start to click. I love the youth and energy of this new staff. Young Guns.

Thirdly, the way that Marrone left has certainly been the opposite of smooth. However, him being successful at the next level will only help Syracuse from an image perspective IMO. It certainly will not be a negative if he wins, so to hear people saying he is a piece of shiit and they hope he fails in Buffalo is a little extreme. He will support the program, and with him being successful at the next level, widens the window of him making a large financial gift to the program at some point. He brought us back from hell, and we are on the verge of doing something great. Him leaving at this time absolutely sucks, but I do not blame him at all for leaving to take a job in the NFL. In an ideal world, he'd be here for many years to come and we would begin dominating the northeast in football again. But that isn't reality, and we need to move on.

I have been very impressed with Shaf so far. He brings an infusion of energy and has a bulldog mentality, which the players are pumped about. His new staff is young and are trailblazers on the recruiting front. How this equates to the performance on the field is TBD, but I think I speak for many here, that this is an exciting time for SU football.

Onward and upward fockers.

First off, let's stop worrying about who is leaving as none of us have any control over it. We need to have blind faith in Shaf to bring in the right guys to keep the ship headed on the right track. It sounds, at least on the recruiting front, that they have been very well-received thus far by many commits/recruits. I'm expecting good things to close out this class, but more importantly, get a really early jump on the 2014 class. Oh yeah, and to hell with "stars". Can that word be banned?

Secondly, we do not know exactly what went on with the recent defections unless your name is Scott Shafer. It could have very well been a change done by Shaf in wanting to bring in his own guys. Wheatley, Adkins, Henderson and Anselmo leaving hurts for sure. But they are replaceable. Shaf may have told a few of them to beginning sniffing around. DM brought them all here, so they all ended up leaving with him. BFD. Next year was going to be a rough year with many of the offensive studs on the team gone anyways. I think we will be very good defensively. Offensively, we will be raw with a new QB TBD. The talent is there at WR and RB. If we can keep the new coaches for more than a year, I think things will start to click. I love the youth and energy of this new staff. Young Guns.

Thirdly, the way that Marrone left has certainly been the opposite of smooth. However, him being successful at the next level will only help Syracuse from an image perspective IMO. It certainly will not be a negative if he wins, so to hear people saying he is a piece of shiit and they hope he fails in Buffalo is a little extreme. He will support the program, and with him being successful at the next level, widens the window of him making a large financial gift to the program at some point. He brought us back from hell, and we are on the verge of doing something great. Him leaving at this time absolutely sucks, but I do not blame him at all for leaving to take a job in the NFL. In an ideal world, he'd be here for many years to come and we would begin dominating the northeast in football again. But that isn't reality, and we need to move on.

I have been very impressed with Shaf so far. He brings an infusion of energy and has a bulldog mentality, which the players are pumped about. His new staff is young and are trailblazers on the recruiting front. How this equates to the performance on the field is TBD, but I think I speak for many here, that this is an exciting time for SU football.

Onward and upward fockers.
Maybe, outside of Hackett, they were invited to leave.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I dont think anyone begrudges DM leaving, I think the bigger deal is the way he left. After reading posts from CTO about how he left and from OE about the way he treated other staff etc., while he was here......it justs leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Also, some comments from Damian Rhodes and others, really point to his character. I'm disappointed in him, big time!

I dont think anyone begrudges DM leaving, I think the bigger deal is the way he left. After reading posts from CTO about how he left and from OE about the way he treated other staff etc., while he was here......it justs leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Also, some comments from Damian Rhodes and others, really point to his character. I'm disappointed in him, big time!

Not saying that you can't be disappointed in him because I am as well. But there are absolutely people on here begrudging him.

Shaf reaching out to all former players is a HUGE step in the right direction.

I'm just excited to see a post not dedicated to Teo. I'm amped about this staff and recruiting ...

Great post.

bf-hyde-park-free-concert-back.jpg

Not saying that you can't be disappointed in him because I am as well. But there are absolutely people on here begrudging him.

Shaf reaching out to all former players is a HUGE step in the right direction.

Sure it is.

BTW, I hope he fails at Buffalo... I don't think that is being extreme - and it's not personal.

If Buffalo hired Chip Kelly, I would hope he failed too.

I dislike Buffalo - always have, always will... And, I played little league with Rusty Brandon - he's from my neighborhood (that is what we used to call him - 'Rusty')... still doesn't mean I want the bills to succeed.

I am going to be interested to see what DM means by supporting the program in the future.

After the Shafer hire, Gross said he expected most of the staff to stay. I don't know why he'd say that is Shafer didn't want them and have some indication of many of them staying. Additionally, I don't believe Marrone succeeding in the NFL helps Syracuse much, if at all. Has Coughlin's success helped Syracuse?

I think that was 3 thoughts. But good ones. And here's one more positive note. Haven't seen any player defections over this. Since the semester started I would think we would know by now (not that it couldn't still happen). That's a good thing. It also ensures that this will be a smallish recruiting class, which is what you hope for in a coaching change/recruiting scramble (well a coaching change where he left for a better job, not where you fired one for doing a bad job).

By my count (until Xtreme corrects me), 65 scholarship players returned from last year's team. 3 JUCO's are already enrolled. That leaves only 17 spots. I know there are other fishes & loaves conversations to be had, but that early math is in our favor for a transition. I think the status of Max B, AAM, Rene probably needs to be sorted out. Just suspensions, back next year?

I think that was 3 thoughts. But good ones. And here's one more positive note. Haven't seen any player defections over this. Since the semester started I would think we would know by now (not that it couldn't still happen). That's a good thing. It also ensures that this will be a smallish recruiting class, which is what you hope for in a coaching change/recruiting scramble.

By my count (until Xtreme corrects me), 65 scholarship players returned from last year's team. 3 JUCO's are already enrolled. That leaves only 17 spots. I know there are other fishes & loaves conversations to be had, but that early math is in our favor for a transition. I think the status of Max B, AAM, Rene probably needs to be sorted out. Just suspensions, back next year?
There are four JUCO's enrolled

Luke Arciniega
Jonathan Burton
Josh Kirkland
John Miller

I think that was 3 thoughts. But good ones. And here's one more positive note. Haven't seen any player defections over this. Since the semester started I would think we would know by now (not that it couldn't still happen). That's a good thing. It also ensures that this will be a smallish recruiting class, which is what you hope for in a coaching change/recruiting scramble (well a coaching change where he left for a better job, not where you fired one for doing a bad job).

I suspect that if guys leave we'll see it after spring practice. They'll have a better idea of where they stand with the new staff after that. Some might also not feel a part of the new crew and be interested in looking elsewhere.

Three Jucos and one prep (Burton)
Ok but that's 4 early enrollees which would bring down the number from 17 to 16 in Chip's post. Forgot that Burton was prep.

And here's one more positive note. Haven't seen any player defections over this. Since the semester started I would think we would know by now (not that it couldn't still happen). That's a good thing.

Fourthly...

Sorry, Adult ADHD. Rambling king.

Thirdly, the way that Marrone left has certainly been the opposite of smooth. However, him being successful at the next level will only help Syracuse from an image perspective IMO. It certainly will not be a negative if he wins
You're not wrong, and that's the same rationale I use to defend Fab Melo.

I just give the benefit of the doubt to the players more than I'm willing to do for the coaches.

I've got 64 returnees right now. 14 of 21 possible scholarships accounted for (if nobody else changes their mind). Room for 7 more newbies.

If the rumors about Ben Barrett returning are true, we're at 65 returning, with room for 6 more newbs.

Rene will get a 1/2 game suspension when he's healthy, and I assume AAM and Max were 1 game misconducts.

I've got 64 returnees right now. 14 of 21 possible scholarships accounted for (if nobody else changes their mind). Room for 7 more newbies.

If the rumors about Ben Barrett returning are true, we're at 65 returning, with room for 6 more newbs.

Rene will get a 1/2 game suspension when he's healthy, and I assume AAM and Max were 1 game misconducts.

Just went through my list of 65, to see who is my extra. The only 2 I can potentially come up with are Myles Davis or Samuel Rodgers. Are one of them gone?

If not, I'm flummoxed. Any other unique departures I might have missed?

Just went through my list of 65, to see who is my extra. The only 2 I can potentially come up with are Myles Davis or Samuel Rodgers. Are one of them gone?

If not, I'm flummoxed. Any other unique departures I might have missed?

Broyld, Morgan, Funderburk, Eskridge, Reddish
Desir, Vigille, Lyn, Anderson, Hunt
MPB, Spruill, Kinder, Hale, Loeb
Whigham, Flemming, PTG, George, Kobena
Davis, Morris, Wilkes, DMF, Rene
AAM, Davis, Clark, Krautman, Lynch
Coker, Smith, Fisher, Rodgers, Norton
Simmons, Crume, Trudo, Palmer, MacPherson
Hickey, Phillips, Sloan, Robinson, Coleman
Foy, Knapp, Emerich, Thompson, Cornelius
Beaulieu, Lewis, Wales, Foster, West
Parris, Washington, Walls, Robinson, Welsh
Manley, Bromley, Raymon, Jones.

64 returning by my count.

Manley, Bromley, Raymon, Jones.

64 returning by my count.

Ugh, for some reason I had Lou Alexander hanging around. I'm terrible at this. By comparison, anyway.