Just Curious... | Syracusefan.com

Just Curious...

CJOJ

Walk On
Hey all - somewhat new here and first post. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (or rambling and long-winded, but as I stay around I'm sure you'll learn that's my style), but it seemed to somewhat fit with the recruiting theme...

Just curious - why do people seem so convinced Tyus Battle is one-and-done?

Far as I can tell, he isn't showing up anywhere on 2017 OR 2018 mock drafts on any of the traditional sites (nbadraft.net, draftexpress, etc.) and players in his range typically aren't one-and-done. Case in point, case study of the last 5 years from 247 composite rankings of players ranked 21-50 (basically Tyus Battle +/- 15 spots)...

2015 - 4/30 (13.33%) - Syracuse 1/1 (Richardson)
2014 - 2/30 (6.67%) - Syracuse 1/1 (McCullough)
2013 - 1/30 (3.33%) - Syracuse 1/1 (Ennis)
2012 - 0/30 (0.00%) - Syracuse 0/2 (Coleman, Grant)
2011- 1/30 (3.33%) - Syracuse 0/2 (Christmas, MCW - plus Gbinje if you want to count him)

I may have missed one of two people who left early since I was just doing this quickly, but point being over the last 5 years it's only maybe a little over a 5% chance that a player in Battle's range in the rankings goes one-and-done.

Maybe we are overrating the possibilities just because our success rate happens to be a little higher the last 5 years (3/7 = 42.85%).

Not saying it couldn't happen. He's a much better outside shooter than I expected so he definitely has a chance. But let's not forget Ennis and Richardson both played 34+ minutes in seasons that led to a 25-0 start and #1 ranking and a Final Four berth respectively.

To tie it back to 2017 recruiting... The potential loss of Green got me thinking about this because, although it would definitely still sting, it's not like we wouldn't still have the makings of a decent team for next year without him if Battle is back.

PG - Howard
SG - Battle
SF - Moyer, Brisett
PF - Thompson
C - Chukwu, Sidibe (?)

Add Jordan Tucker and 1-2 grad transfers in the backcourt / wing spots and we could still be a team that could make some noise.

In the meantime - damn the boys looked good tonight. 20+ point win over Monmouth is very impressive. Regardless of what does or doesn't happen in 2017 recruiting looks like this year's team could have a really high ceiling so let's not forget to enjoy this too!!!

Hey all - somewhat new here and first post. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (or rambling and long-winded, but as I stay around I'm sure you'll learn that's my style), but it seemed to somewhat fit with the recruiting theme...

Far as I can tell, he isn't showing up anywhere on 2017 OR 2018 mock drafts on any of the traditional sites (nbadraft.net, draftexpress, etc.) and players in his range typically aren't one-and-done. Case in point, case study of the last 5 years from . . . composite rankings of players ranked 21-50 (basically Tyus Battle +/- 15 spots)...

2011- 1/30 (3.33%) - Syracuse 0/2 (Christmas, MCW - plus Gbinje if you want to count him)

I may have missed one of two people who left early since I was just doing this quickly, but point being over the last 5 years it's only maybe a little over a 5% chance that a player in Battle's range in the rankings goes one-and-done.

Maybe we are overrating the possibilities just because our success rate happens to be a little higher the last 5 years (3/7 = 42.85%).

Not saying it couldn't happen. He's a much better outside shooter than I expected so he definitely has a chance. But let's not forget Ennis and Richardson both played 34+ minutes in seasons that led to a 25-0 start and #1 ranking and a Final Four berth respectively.

To tie it back to 2017 recruiting... The potential loss of Green got me thinking about this because, although it would definitely still sting, it's not like we wouldn't still have the makings of a decent team for next year without him if Battle is back.

PG - Howard
SG - Battle
SF - Moyer, Brisett
PF - Thompson
C - Chukwu, Sidibe (?)

Add Jordan Tucker and 1-2 grad transfers in the backcourt / wing spots and we could still be a team that could make some noise.

In the meantime - damn the boys looked good tonight. 20+ point win over Monmouth is very impressive. Regardless of what does or doesn't happen in 2017 recruiting looks like this year's team could have a really high ceiling so let's not forget to enjoy this too!!!

Also - apologize for all the math but what can I say, I'm a CPA and financial consultant so the nerdy math stuff is kinda my jam.
Millhouse is gonna love you.

Far as I can tell, he isn't showing up anywhere on 2017 OR 2018 mock drafts on any of the traditional sites (nbadraft.net, draftexpress, etc.) and players in his range typically aren't one-and-done. Case in point, case study of the last 5 years from . . . composite rankings of players ranked 21-50 (basically Tyus Battle +/- 15 spots)...

PG - Howard
SG - Battle
SF - Moyer, Brisett
PF - Thompson
C - Chukwu, Sidibe (?)

Nice first post and welcome CJOJ! I completely agree with you about Battle. I think that he's more than likely back next year. I think the reason that so many think he's gone is his outstanding measurables and the general belief that he was under-ranked by the recruiting services due to his injury. Also, as your own data shows, in the most recent years we've tended to lose our top recruits after one year. Also, if you consider a player's first year the first one that he got major minutes, you can add MCW and Grant to your list, as well as Waiters and Melo from the year before (although maybe they were higher ranked). But I agree with you, I don't think Battle ends up getting the minutes to leave. In fact, I think there's a decent chance that Lydon returns as well. He's going to be stuck playing out of position most of the year (SF, and to a lesser extent C), and I think he'll struggle relative to the potential that we see in him. It might drop his draft stock enough to keep him here as well.

In general, I tend to think that if players return after a year in which they've gotten major minutes, is much more likely than we think that they'll continue to return because their games get picked apart. I think we've got a small chance to keep Lydon for 4 years and Battle at least 2. I know that also puts me in the minority around here.

If you're a top 75 player and want to be a first round pick in 1 or 2 years, Syracuse is your destination.

PG - Howard
SG - Battle
SF - Moyer, Brisett
PF - Thompson
C - Chukwu, Sidibe (?)

You're absolutely right though. If Battle stays it will lessen the pain of losing Green a ton! Adding Tucker would definitely bring a few more people off the ledge!

In JB's 40 years, he has only had 6 one and dones.

I'm sure the answer is obvious, but who am I missing?

Melo
Greene
Ennis
McCulloch
Richardson

Melo
Greene
Ennis
McCulloch
Richardson

I think the actual number is 5. You have them all that I know of.

Yea those are the only 5 I come up with.

Again, I think we may just be experiencing a little bit of recency bias because of having one-and-dones 3 years running.

I'd set the odds right now at something like 75 (returns) / 25 (goes)

Melo
Greene
Ennis
McCulloch
Richardson

Good catch. I had Jerami on my list, but that is wrong. He stayed 2 years. The total number is 5

Strangely, when I was at the game tonight I was thinking the same thing. To early in the season to tell I guess.

The other thing I noticed to nite was this team isn't gonna have enough balls on the court for all the guys looking to get touches. Good problem to have I guess. Lots of talent.

Funk Doc said:
You're absolutely right though. If Battle stays it will lessen the pain of losing Green a ton! Adding Tucker would definitely bring a few more people off the ledge!

When green said no, battle became the 9th man.

Melo
Greene
Ennis
McCulloch
Richardson
maxresdefault.jpg

McCulloch!!

Also - apologize for all the math but what can I say, I'm a CPA and financial consultant so the nerdy math stuff is kinda my jam.

love it! You should meet SWC75

Melo
Greene
Ennis
McCulloch
Richardson

Maybe Wes Johnson? Kinda? Not really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics