Just Made A Lengthy Call on Sirius...RE: JB | Syracusefan.com

Just Made A Lengthy Call on Sirius...RE: JB

iommi

Living Legend
I was just on the Bruce Murray Show on Sirius about 15 minutes ago talking about JB.

I basically said that JB doesn't get his just due, even with people lauding him for the 900 wins.

I also talked about the fact that he is not warm and fuzzy with the media (especially the local media in Syracuse). He doesn't kiss ass like some of the other top coaches. He is who is is. Yes, he can be a whiner but he's not a phony. I also mentioned that he doesn't have a cheerleader in the media, like other do (ie: Dukie V)

I then discussed his accomplishments. I was fair, I mentioned the disappointments too, including Richmond and Vermont. But I also emphasized the near misses like in '87 and running against a juggernaut in Kentucky in '96 after making a great run behind Wallace...and also pointed out the bad fortune with AO three years ago and Fab's stupidity last year.

They gave me a lot of time. I went on to say that he's not an accumulator, he's an innovator with the zone. They pretty much agreed but Murray said that he needs another title to cement his legacy, kind of like Peyton Manning. He said he is in the upper-echelon, but is he better than guys like Denny Crum, who has multiple titles? He also mentioned Guy Lewis (lot of wins but really?)...come on. He said that he would put him a notch below guys like K, Knight, Calhoun, Wooden, Rupp, etc.

I then mentioned the zone and it's influence and how K picked him to be his assistant for the Olympics twice and now even incorporates the zone at Duke, a team known for taking pride in it's man-t0-man.

I didn't want to mention some of the other criticisms I have of JB, namely his stubbornness at times, even during games to adapt to what the other team is doing offensively and my opinion that he is not enough of a disciplinarian with the off-the-transgressions.

As you can tell, I have a lot of time on my hands today. I took yesterday and today off.

Thanks for reading. Psyched for the Temple game Saturday. Blarney is the pre-game? Look for the guy in Orange, shouldn't be too far to find in NYC. Oh, wait that's our home gym and there will be a sea of Orange in the bar. I'll be wearing my 'Cuse hat with my syracusefan.com pin on it that says War Otto! If you identify me as iommi, I'll buy you a beer.

PS: Wasn't I the jerk who wanted a new regime following the shite-storm of off-the-court issues Yes, I admit I was a jerk and it was an emotional outburst...:oops: