Just throwing this out there re: PG for next year | Syracusefan.com

Just throwing this out there re: PG for next year

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
We've got open scholarships. There appear to be a number of 5th year/JUCO guys available. Coach has apparently said we're set for guard next season.

I don't care. I want to see another scholarship guy on the roster with PG listed as the position. I don't even care if it's a reach and the guy isn't that good or isn't even expected to actually play.

We need somebody. As fun as the days of the 6 man rotation were when Flynn was a freshman, there is ZERO reason why we need to risk being in that position again due to injury, suspension, potato knees, etc.

There's some natural point or combo guard out there that would be really happy to take a scholarship from us for a year or two. Let's go find that guy.

Scholarship players for 2014-2015(for now)
Seniors: Rakeem Christmas
Juniors: Trevor Cooney, Jerami Grant, Michael Gbinije, Dejuan Coleman
Sophomores: Tyler Roberson, Ron Patterson, B.J. Johnson
Freshman: Kaleb Joseph, Chris McCollough, Chino Obokoh

That is 11 scholarships. We have 2 open slots, and I believe 2 recruits for 2015 so if we use our 2 open scholarships atleast one of them would need to be a 1 year guy.

I am much more worried about a isolation scorer next year, then I am about a backup point guard. Especially if Grant doesn't return. Hopefully our jumpshooting gets alittle better. We had one of the top 7 pg's in the nation last year in tyler ennis and he was probably top 5 in terms of setting people up. The team still lacked offense, and even with grant I don't see us being a better scoring team next year (although we could be).

Last edited:

That is 11 scholarships. We have 2 open slots, and I believe 2 recruits for 2015 so if we use our 2 open scholarships atleast one of them would need to be a 1 year guy.
No we wouldn't because Rak's scholarship would be off the books in 2015. Also if we brought in 5th year guys those scholarships would be off as well. No reason not to look into getting a back up PG somewhere.

Unless you consider Grant a senior for scholarship purposes. They should be fine.

Unless you consider Grant a senior for scholarship purposes. They should be fine.
I wouldn't do that just in case Grant got hurt and needed to come back. If we intend to use the 13 scholarships then one of them would need to be a 1 year person. However, I honestly don't think we are going to use either of our last 2 scholarships for 2014 at best we can hope for a transfer, but I honestly don't expect either of the 2 last scholarships should be used even though I think we are ridiculously thin a PG again.

The 2 open slots have already been used to bring in Lydon and Malachi Richardson in the 2015 class. That leaves only 1 additional spot for 2015 from the graduation of Rak. If Franklin Howard signs on there are no other slots available. Yet the staff continues to pursue both Bryant and Diagne hard. If you assume Grant leaves early (either now or after returning for his junior year) that opens 1 additional slot for either Bryant or Diagne but not both. They cannot bring in an additional 2014 recruit without losing the slot for Bryant/Diagne...unless it's a 5th year transfer who leaves after the year. That is why they will not bring in a 2 yr juco PG or any freshman PG.

The 2 open slots have already been used to bring in Lydon and Malachi Richardson in the 2015 class. That leaves only 1 additional spot for 2015 from the graduation of Rak. If Franklin Howard signs on there are no other slots available. Yet the staff continues to pursue both Bryant and Diagne hard. If you assume Grant leaves early (either now or after returning for his junior year) that opens 1 additional slot for either Bryant or Diagne but not both. They cannot bring in an additional 2014 recruit without losing the slot for Bryant/Diagne...unless it's a 5th year transfer who leaves after the year. That is why they will not bring in a 2 yr juco PG or any freshman PG.
Grant is likely gone before 2015. So that would along with Christmas graduating would open the scholarships for Bryant and Diagne.

I just wish Boeheim would go after a 5th year 1 year guy. We need depth in the backcourt. If Gbinije is our backup PG again next year I will be nervous.
We have 11 scholarship guys with Grant next year, 2 recruits for 2015 that is 13 guys.
We lose Christmas and Grant then we are back down to 11 for both Bryant/Diagne.
Before Ennis left JB was expecting Ennis-Joseph for PG, Cooney-Gbinije-Patterson-Johnson for SG now without Ennis it looks like
Joseph-Gbinjie for PG Cooney-Patterson-Johnnson for SG.
I don't expect to compete for a NC next year so I guess adding guy isn't necessary as my expectations will be a lot lower next season.

get some pg insurance. don't let one turned ankle or OTC issue flush the whole season. we got the roster space.

Our only possibility can be a 5th year grad transfer. Assuming Grant and McCoullough are 1 and done we would already be short a scholarship for Diange/Bryant after Howard commits next week.

Our only possibility can be a 5th year grad transfer. Assuming Grant and McCoullough are 1 and done we would already be short a scholarship for Diange/Bryant after Howard commits next week.
Agreed, I would be scanning the waiver wire for EVERY 5th year guard and tell him that with a freshman PG being the only other PG on the roster playing time will be available. I like Kaleb Joseph's potential, but expect lightning in a bottle 2 years in a row from FR PG is hard to expect. Joseph would still get rotation minutes, but if they are a PG 5th 1 year guys available we should be kicking their tires, but I don't think we are.

I am just going to have no expectations next year and consider making the tournament enough next year. I don't think we have 2 PGs on roster and we can't expect Joseph to play 38 minutes a game and be as good as Ennis.

Who'da thunk we'd be pining for the days of Josh Wright and James Thues.

FWIW, PeteCalvin was a stellar point guard on the Slammin' SAMMY intramural team back in the day. As probably the only gentile chapter of Sigma Alpha Mu in history, we're sadly omitted from my favorite leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Heros".

We've got open scholarships. There appear to be a number of 5th year/JUCO guys available. Coach has apparently said we're set for guard next season.

I don't care. I want to see another scholarship guy on the roster with PG listed as the position. I don't even care if it's a reach and the guy isn't that good or isn't even expected to actually play.

We need somebody. As fun as the days of the 6 man rotation were when Flynn was a freshman, there is ZERO reason why we need to risk being in that position again due to injury, suspension, potato knees, etc.

There's some natural point or combo guard out there that would be really happy to take a scholarship from us for a year or two. Let's go find that guy.
Well, I am glad that issue is settled. Get to it JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom