Just throwing this out there | Syracusefan.com

Just throwing this out there

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
But doesn't it seem like the ACC teams have done a much better job of penetrating the zone and getting good shots than the big east teams used to do? It seems to me that the lower tier big east teams would spend all their time passing the ball around the periphery of the zone and then heave a desperation shot.

These lower tier ACC teams have been doing a much better job of dribble penetration and kick outs..or dumping the ball underneath for easy buckets.

Of course our bigger problem is offense, but my perception is that the ACC teams are more adept at playing against the zone.

I think tonight the problem was we played too slow for too long. Once we started speeding the game up, Ga tech took some awful shots, and had no idea what to do.

It was harder to penetrate the zone because we had better defensive guys up top than we do this year. I don't think we've been this bad at the top since the Devo/Flynn years.

Agree with a lot of those points also more teams are playing the zone now. Maybe, not to SU's expertise but teams are seeing it more than they have in the past. Plus not having a healthy Grant hurts a lot and my fear is he won't be healthy until next year.

One thing that worries me is this going to be like when SU used to get good athletic qb's because no one else was going after them and now they have seen the errors in their ways and finally realize that the zone actually is a way to win games much like getting a QB that can move? After schools made that commitment to more athletic qb's SU hit a hard time of recruiting them. It may be the same kind of thing...their success has now spread and teams are getting more and more used to attacking or playing it.

But doesn't it seem like the ACC teams have done a much better job of penetrating the zone and getting good shots than the big east teams used to do? It seems to me that the lower tier big east teams would spend all their time passing the ball around the periphery of the zone and then heave a desperation shot.

These lower tier ACC teams have been doing a much better job of dribble penetration and kick outs..or dumping the ball underneath for easy buckets.

Of course our bigger problem is offense, but my perception is that the ACC teams are more adept at playing against the zone.

This is actually something that I was thinking about last night. For the first half of the ACC season it seemed like the opposing teams were pretty lost in attacking the zone, but since the SU/Duke game in the Dome, other teams seem to be better prepared and have a good gameplan. I think that the Feb 1 SU/Duke game gave a good blueprint on attacking our defense.

IMO the ACC teams shoot better from mid range. They make more shots. Many BE teams couldn't shoot well. That's why these ACC teams are playing better against the zone which is designed to allow the opponent to beat themselves by being inept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom