Just to show you can't read too closely | Syracusefan.com

Just to show you can't read too closely

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
into the information that gets reported on recruiting in some of the blogs (no disparagement of Francis or his blog intended).

Zagsblog described Nerlens Noel's visit to Kentucky as an official visit.

"Nerlens Noel, the top uncommitted prospect in the Class of 2012, took an official visit to Kentucky this past weekend and Wildcats fans are dreaming that he will replace Anthony Davis in the lineup next fall."

It then references Noel's own post on his ESPN recruiting blog which goes to great pains to point out that his visits to KY and SU were both unofficial visits. In his blog, he devotes a whole paragraph to saying...

"I’ve taken two visits since I reclassified, first to Syracuse, and I’m actually just getting back from Kentucky now. Both of the visits had to be unofficial because I have to get a lot of paperwork processed at my school before everything’s final, so until that happens all of my visits have to be unofficial. I think everything will be final by around early March."

My point is just that we hang on every word and nuance reported on the recruiting targets we are interested in leading up to their commitments and unfortunately the guys writing the blog entries aren't always being nearly as precise in what they are conveying to us.

Maybe not an important point "official vs. unofficial" but I've also seen discussion here around why did this guy use an official visit on team X, but only take an unofficial visit to see us.