Just watched the Big East 30/30, and so glad I did... | Syracusefan.com

Just watched the Big East 30/30, and so glad I did...

SRHoo

Walk On
Just wanted to share my thoughts.

I'm an old school, pre Florida State, Ralph Sampson & Michael Jordan era, ACC fan. I'm a native southerner. We drink sweet tea by the gallon, will choose a plate of N.C. BBQ over the best plate of linguini in New York, walk & talk a little slower than "normal", and always considered Maryland the yankees of the conference.

I hated it when BC, Miami & Virginia Tech joined the league.

I didn't hate it as much, but at first didn't really want Syracuse, Pitt or Notre Dame to join. When Maryland decided to leave, and Louisville accepted, I knew the ACC was the ACC in name only and was really nothing more than a merger with the Big East.

I'll admit it...I was narrow minded, and didn't fully appreciate where you were coming from. I respected Boeheim, and the Big East's success, but you'd always be that conference from the northeast that we only took because of football. I didn't respect the lost rivalry with Georgetown...how the conference went from nothing to top dog in such a short period of time...the buzz of the BET in MSG...in other words, I didn't respect how much Syracuse was losing by coming to the ACC.

I think the thing that stood out to me in the piece was Boeheim's interview after the final BET. I had never seen it, but he came out and said this is a football decision...I didn't want this. I respect his honesty.

The marriage of Syracuse and the ACC was certainly not traditional, and probably would have never happened without the football $ influence. That said, I think the new rivalries created with the rest of the ACC, especially with Louisville joining, will be the best of both worlds. It'll take some time, but we'll get there. The TV ratings for the Duke games speak for themselves. The game with us in Charlottesville was the hottest regular season ticket in 30 years.

I'll always be an ACC purist, but I'm (quickly) warming up to the idea of the fast talking New Yorkers ;) Hopefully Greensboro wasn't too slow of a pace for you...just be patient with us in Brooklyn...we're used to a little slower pace!

People always ask for honesty and when someone is we often chastise them for it. I for one have always appreciated Boeheims honesty and SRHoo...it was a hell of a basketball conference and NYC is electric. I love North Carolina, beautiful state and I respect tradition but honestly, NYC can take this wonderful conference called the ACC into another level.

I had mentioned in the chat room we had going last night that hoped ACC traditionalists would watch and get a sense as to why we are the way we are. You can take us out of the Big East, but I don't think the Big East will ever be out of us.

Good luck to Virginia in the Tournament. If your program continues to rise the way it looks like it will, don't turn into UConn fans.

I'm an old school, pre Florida State, Ralph Sampson & Michael Jordan era, ACC fan. I'm a native southerner. We drink sweet tea by the gallon, will choose a plate of N.C. BBQ over the best plate of linguini in New York, walk & talk a little slower than "normal", and always considered Maryland the yankees of the conference.

I didn't hate it as much, but at first didn't really want Syracuse, Pitt or Notre Dame to join. When Maryland decided to leave, and Louisville accepted, I knew the ACC was the ACC in name only and was really nothing more than a merger with the Big East.

I'll admit it...I was narrow minded, and didn't fully appreciate where you were coming from. I respected Boeheim, and the Big East's success, but you'd always be that conference from the northeast that we only took because of football. I didn't respect the lost rivalry with Georgetown...how the conference went from nothing to top dog in such a short period of time...the buzz of the BET in MSG...in other words, I didn't respect how much Syracuse was losing by coming to the ACC.

I think the thing that stood out to me in the piece was Boeheim's interview after the final BET. I had never seen it, but he came out and said this is a football decision...I didn't want this. I respect his honesty.

The marriage of Syracuse and the ACC was certainly not traditional, and probably would have never happened without the football $ influence. That said, I think the new rivalries created with the rest of the ACC, especially with Louisville joining, will be the best of both worlds. It'll take some time, but we'll get there. The TV ratings for the Duke games speak for themselves. The game with us in Charlottesville was the hottest regular season ticket in 30 years.

I'll always be an ACC purist, but I'm (quickly) warming up to the idea of the fast talking New Yorkers ;) Hopefully Greensboro wasn't too slow of a pace for you...just be patient with us in Brooklyn...we're used to a little slower pace!
Classy post. I am impressed with the Hoo fans we see on this board and in person (I was in Greensboro). Best of luck to your team in the tourney. Maybe we can meet up again in the Final Four.

SRHoo said:

Thanks for the positive post! Unfortunately I still think a large percentage of the ACC and ACC fans still believes in the old mentality. The power is still held by the southern schools and I feel that It will be many many years until we get equality at the ACC table. Ever since the was announced, I have felt that we need UConn to give the north one more seat at the table. A lot of us have Big East pride and I for one dislike the ACC for its actions in the past and I can't see myself routing for anyone besides Pitt, Lville, or ND in the near future.

Classy post. I am impressed with the Hoo fans we see on this board and in person (I was in Greensboro). Best of luck to your team in the tourney. Maybe we can meet up again in the Final Four.

UVA fans have been shite on for years by the Tobacco Road power brokers. It's probably a different feeling to have fanbases like ours offer mutual respect (yeah, we have our moments too). I didn't really appreciate Louisville fans until the Final Four last year. The respect they showed to our program was something I didn't expect. Total opposite of the self centered UK fans I have met in my days. Hearing douchbag Michigan Fan yap yap yap about how we sucked and The Fab Five made it easy to throw in my lot with the Cardinals that Monday night...even with the BE Tourney thrashing fresh in my mind.

I get that this is a huge season for Virginia, like an awakening of sorts. No longer are they the plaything for Tobacco Road. Unfortunately, SU was the one thing that stood between them and showing the NC schools that "we own YOU this time". Biggest game in UVA since Sampson, in their place, on Senior Night. Bad combo. And they beat us bad. I am so glad they got the number one seed, because they deserved it by taking both ACC titles. The committee finally got something right.

Just wait until next year, Hoo Nation... ;)

dude fantastic freaking post, in so many respects. Historical, forward thinking. cultural, putting a lot into perspective. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Change may be hard, but going with the silver lining theory, it can be good. Real good. I'm thinking you're right.

I'm so pulling for your team, class kids from what I can tell, CLASS coach all the way, and class fans. If we're out of it and not playing you I'm rooting for the Hoos!

Last edited:

Watch all those street fights and listening to Thompson brag about it makes me appreciate the sportsmanship in the ACC this year. you can have great games without a bunch of idiots taking swings at each other.

Nice Post. Things will never be the same, doesn't mean they won't be as good, especially for younger fans.

storange said:
Nice Post. Things will never be the same, doesn't mean they won't be as good, especially for younger fans.

Younger fans will adjust quicker than older fans. It's going to be hard to replace the old Big East and the tourney at MSG. It was very special.

I attended the SU games in Durham, Charlottesville and Greensboro this year, so I experienced three ACC venues and met a lot of ACC fans. Everyone was polite and welcoming and anxious to answer my questions about how to find this or that landmark. No one in any of those cities showed any hostility towards me or my SU-clad colleagues. This was in marked contrast to the receptions we received from some Big East fan bases, most notably Georgetown.

Yes, I will miss the excitement of the Big East Tournament in NYC (in great part because I live just 50 miles from it), and I hope the ACC tournament will make rotational appearances there. However, I feel very positive about our first year in the ACC...And I congratulate UVA for its spectacular (so far) season.

Watch all those street fights and listening to Thompson brag about it makes me appreciate the sportsmanship in the ACC this year. you can have great games without a bunch of idiots taking swings at each other.

to be fair, the fights, scuffles, etc. happened a really long time ago.

this was probably more recent:

And how many times did Chris Paul punch opposing players in the nuts?

Add in the flopping from our Tobacco Road brethren (yuck, can't believe that I typed that), and I don't know if there's any higher degree of sportsmanship in the ACC than the Big East.

I'm not feeling the love. I just wish we were able to come to an agreement over the rules. Especially what is considered a charge and what is considered to be block. One week we get called for a charge. On the exact same play with the Orange on defense we get called for a block. I just sick of ambiguous rules. We need a game where the rules can be easily understood and applied. I don't know what the answers is to resolve this. But I wish it was better than it is now.

I think the new additions have been a big positive. Syracuse especially this year spiced things up with some great games.
The chief floppers in the ACC are of course at Duke and I think the new rules have helped a little bit. Shane Battier was the worst and he was later known as Shane Floppy-A by a lot of ACC fans.

to be fair, the fights, scuffles, etc. happened a really long time ago.

this was probably more recent:

And how many times did Chris Paul punch opposing players in the nuts?

Add in the flopping from our Tobacco Road brethren (yuck, can't believe that I typed that), and I don't know if there's any higher degree of sportsmanship in the ACC than the Big East.
that's ancient history. hansborough is an ahole. i might feel different if we had to play that crosseyed simpleton. this year, i thought our opponents were likable for the most part.

that's ancient history. hansborough is an ahole. i might feel different if we had to play that crosseyed simpleton. this year, i thought our opponents were likable for the most part.

I thought that the Duke guys were turds, as usual.

yes, the Henderson/Hansbrough incident was a long time ago, but not nearly as long ago as the Gtown fights/scuffles.

cto said:
I attended the SU games in Durham, Charlottesville and Greensboro this year, so I experienced three ACC venues and met a lot of ACC fans.

0-3. Maybe you should stay away from the conference road games next year!

0-3. Maybe you should stay away from the conference road games next year!
But I also attended SJU, Maryland and the three games in Maui. So I am actually 5-3 on the road. ;)

Millhouse said:

I kind of agree. It's a better game when played with mutual respect. But - that vein of hatred and toughness that the old BE came from made the BE tourney have some soul or something. I don't know - really hoping Barclays and Brooklyn can reinvigorate some if that.

I enjoyed the ACC regular season as much as the BE recently. But missed MSG like crazy.

?..No one in any of those cities showed any hostility towards me or my SU-clad colleagues. This was in marked contrast to the receptions we received from some Big East fan bases, most notably Georgetown.

The fine young students of Georgetown. The ones who called my sister the most vile of all vulgarities when she dared walk past their line. That line was a gauntlet for anyone wearing orange. They are spoiled entitled brats with inferiority complexes.

The new ACC is basically an eastern version of what is now the Pac 14. That could work.

Virginia was the best team in the ACC this year. They may not have been the most highly recruited or have the most future NBA stars. But they were the best TEAM. And that's what I love about college sports.

The fine young students of Georgetown. The ones who called my sister the most vile of all vulgarities when she dared walk past their line. That line was a gauntlet for anyone wearing orange. They are spoiled entitled brats with inferiority complexes.
they called her a uconn grad?