just when you thought officiating couldnt be any worse | Syracusefan.com

just when you thought officiating couldnt be any worse

orangehomer

All American
there is this game. what an joke, and the announcers just gloss over it all. college basketball is now a boutique sport, and this is why. someone needs to make a gif of that over and back call in the first half. the ball never crossed half court much less the player. they showed one replay and realized it was bullshit and didn't talk about it again. college basketball is not far from the wwe at this point.

napier dribbles off a guys foot, KICK!

Nice that the referees are letting Napier make his own calls.

I'd love for Bilas to call a Final Four though he would probably make it one game where he destroys the officiating before the NCAA would pull him.

napier dribbles off a guys foot, KICK!

That was a kick imo...decent call. UConn still seems to get the majority of calls though. Odd.

Wouldn't that be a double-dribble on Boatright though?

Dribbled it once on the catch. Then dribbled again.

College basketball officiating has been a problem, and has gotten progressively worse, for more than a decade. Quality is, at best, poor.

That was the right call- it was a kick. The jump ball call was hard to explain though..huge call.

Cal has completely mismanaged the last two minutes. Let uconn basically hold the ball for 1:40. Just horrible end of game management.

That was a kick imo...decent call. UConn still seems to get the majority of calls though. Odd.

Wouldn't that be a double-dribble on Boatright though?

Dribbled it once on the catch. Then dribbled again.

I didn't watch the first half, so I didn't see the play in question, but I can tell you that a player is allowed to establish control of the ball. If a pass is, say, a little off or wide, you can "tap" it to yourself without losing your dribble.

Nice that the referees are letting Napier make his own calls.

I'd love for Bilas to call a Final Four though he would probably make it one game where he destroys the officiating before the NCAA would pull him.
Bilas calls the 2nd FInal Four game on ESPN International and last year at the end of our Michigan game Bilas KILLED the ref for calling the charge when Jordan Morgan slid under Brandon Triche's drive that decided the game.

Fast forward to 1:30:50

Bilas DESTROYS the ref.

I'd love to hear Bilas's commentary there compared to whatever excuses the CBS idiots were making for the officials.

I'd love to hear Bilas's commentary there compared to whatever excuses the CBS idiots were making for the officials.

Ask and you shall receive fast forward to 1:30:00.
Kellogg said it was a great call and no question about the call and Kerr praised Morgan for making the play.
Then Kerr 2nd guesses the call on a replay and Kellogg agreed.

Bilas is by far the best analyst in college basketball. It sucks CBS/Turner have the USA rights to tournament. I love Bilas ,McDonough, and Raf greatest announce team of alltime for college hoops.

I didn't watch the first half, so I didn't see the play in question, but I can tell you that a player is allowed to establish control of the ball. If a pass is, say, a little off or wide, you can "tap" it to yourself without losing your dribble.

No, it was a chest pass. He caught it with both hands sort of let it drop because his foot was hurt. Caught it again, dribbled.

I know when the pass is off it's okay, it just looked weird - probably because it was a perfect pass.

Still hate seeing that SU/Michigan game and how the same ref boned us with 3 bad calls down the stretch and knocked out our starting backcourt.

3/5 of the starters didn't show up for Michigan but yeah that call COST US THE GAME.

3/5 of the starters didn't show up for Michigan but yeah that call COST US THE GAME.

How about the questionable 4th foul on MCW? Or the 5th, for that matter? How about the missed travel that led to an outlet pass for a basket after our last shot?

You have to admit that we had a bunch of strange calls go against us at the end of that game. The call on Triche was only one of them.

How about the questionable 4th foul on MCW? Or the 5th, for that matter? How about the missed travel that led to an outlet pass for a basket after our last shot?

You have to admit that we had a bunch of strange calls go against us at the end of that game. The call on Triche was only one of them.

I'm not sure. I'd have to go back and watch the game. Not doing that for obvious reasons.

But even if that is called a block on Morgan, Triche still has to make both FTs, we still have to play the last possession, and we still have to play OT. How is that deciding the game?

We shot like a## for forty minutes, but some people want to cherry pick a few calls and say that's why we lost. Because I'm sure there were no calls that went our way that entire game.

I'm not sure. I'd have to go back and watch the game. Not doing that for obvious reasons.

But even if that is called a block on Morgan, Triche still has to make both FTs, we still have to play the last possession, and we still have to play OT. How is that deciding the game?

We shot like a## for forty minutes, but some people want to cherry pick a few calls and say that's why we lost. Because I'm sure there were no calls that went our way that entire game.

I agree with your final paragraph. We played like a## offensively as a team. We only had three players who did anything--CJ who played great, Triche who had a decent all around game, and Jerami who rebounded like a terror. Nobody else did much of anything. MCW had 2 points as I recall. He and Southerland combined for 9... and Dirty scored 5 of his points in the game's last 75 seconds. We just weren't good enough offensively to have two of our main offensive cogs lay an egg in the most important game of the year.

THAT SAID, despite playing like a##, we were still right there at the end, in a position to win. Somebody posted the Triche charge video last night in a thread about Bilas. You should watch it. Yes, he would have had to make free throws, but we were right there. And at the end of the day, having several bad calls work against us down the stretch did impact the game, IMO--especially the ones that forced MCW to the bench.

I agree with your final paragraph. We played like a## offensively as a team. We only had three players who did anything--CJ who played great, Triche who had a decent all around game, and Jerami who rebounded like a terror. Nobody else did much of anything. MCW had 2 points as I recall. He and Southerland combined for 9... and Dirty scored 5 of his points in the game's last 75 seconds. We just weren't good enough offensively to have two of our main offensive cogs lay an egg in the most important game of the year.

THAT SAID, despite playing like a##, we were still right there at the end, in a position to win. Somebody posted the Triche charge video last night in a thread about Bilas. You should watch it. Yes, he would have had to make free throws, but we were right there. And at the end of the day, having several bad calls work against us down the stretch did impact the game, IMO--especially the ones that forced MCW to the bench.

I've watched it. Not the higest point in that refs career.

But the poor offensive performance makes it really hard for me to get too worked up about the calls. Maybe it's a defence mechanism. I don't know.