Kansas Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Kansas Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Before the game I mentioned that I think Kansas is both the best team in the country and the team that is best suited to score against our zone. If you saw Kansas play against Kentucky, take my word for it, that game was an outlier. They played bad (if by bad you mean still good enough to beat Kentucky) in the first game of the season, but they are really good.

Generally if you're going to beat the best team in the country you need a few breaks to go your way. What we got was our best player playing through an injury, our second best player getting into early foul trouble, and the back up to both of them leaving the team a day earlier. Not what I would call a recipe for success.

Syracuse hung in the game early with tough defense, and good rebounding, but this was not a game you can win with defense alone, you've got to score to beat Kansas. Two things held us back from scoring in the first half. First was Battle's outside shooting. He got several good looks and missed them all while Kansas slowly piled up a lead. Second was the fact that we committed several charges going to the basket (some were good calls others not as much). Regarding the charges, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that it took Syracuse a half to adjust to the speed and athleticism of Kansas's defense. Rather, I think we should celebrate the fact that this young team adjusted, figured out how to get to the basket, and won the second half (if you don't count the last 3 minutes where we were pressing and fouling and Kansas scored the last 6 points of the game).

There were two turning points in this game. One in each half. In the first half Mykhailiuk banked in a three, then barely caught a tipped lob where he got fouled, then Chukwu missed a dunk and got a technical trying to put his miss back in. All together that's a 12 point turnaround, in a minute or two of basketball time, all on extremely unlikely occurrences. That's the kind of bad luck you can't have when you play a better team.

In the second half, Syracuse hit a couple threes opening up the D a little, and probably more importantly they figured out how to get to the basket and convert. They cut the lead to 7 and that's when Graham took the most difficult shot anybody took all game (a fade away 3 from about 28 feet out with Battle's hand in his face) and made it. Huge momentum killer.

A quick note on our defense. We held Kansas to 10% lower than their season average from 3, and we shut down scoring in the post. Our defense played good. By far the best they've played all season in my opinion. I heard a lot of people complaining about all the lobs converted against us but its important to keep in mind that we were NOT just getting beat by the same play over and over again. 4 different players caught lobs against us, and Kansas was fielding 4 and often time 5 great three point shooters on the court at a time while still having the athleticism to convert those lobs. There was simply too much for any defense to account for. They do the same things against man D, and its the reason I consider Kansas to be the best team in the country.

Individual performances:

Howard - A lousy charge call against him and one stupid foul forced him to sit the bench for most of the first half. He came out in the second half and looked like our best player and perhaps the second best player on the court behind Graham. You've got to love that.

Battle - Battle is not healthy, and my guess is he's been tending to his injury rather than practicing between games. This probably explains why he was ice cold during the first half, and that cold shooting did hurt us. Despite his problems, the guy found a way to grind out 22 points. He's going to give a lot of people a lot of problems this year.

Brissett - He had a mismatch that he didn't exploit quite as forcefully as you'd like him to, but we can't forget that he's a freshman playing in his seventh game ever and he still put up 13 and 9 against the best team we will face all year. It should be pointed out that he has been the best rebounder in every game we've played all season. Things are only going to get better with Brissett, he was a huge recruiting "get."

Moyer - We didn't need Moyer to out rebound Maryland and we didn't need Moyer to out rebound Kansas. I'm ready to say it. We don't really need Moyer. He will help with depth, certainly, but we should be thinking of him as the 8th man in the rotation, and we should expect him to receive the limited offensive touches that the 8th man in the rotation usually gets.

Chukwu - Remember when everyone thought that Chukwu was too skinny and would be bullied by P5 centers? Well he just went up against undoubtedly the biggest strongest center he will face all year, and arguably also the best center he will face all year, and he outscored the guy 7 points to 6. I think we can officially stop worrying about Chukwu not being big or strong enough to compete. This is big news for SU.

Sidibe - Looked hurt before getting hurt (I think he came in with a banged up knee and then twisted his ankle, but I could be wrong). The short turn around we've got coming up can't be a good thing for Sidibe. I'll be curious to see how much he plays against UConn, and even more curious to see how he plays once he's fully healthy again.

Washington - I thought he looked active and smart on defense, and cool and composed on offense. Graham tried to get in his hip pocket and bother him with some pressure D, but Washington handled that fine. He went 0-2 from three but he's a decent shooter and he took good shots so I imagine those will start to fall. It wasn't a step down from the way Thorpe has been playing. What we lose from Thorpe leaving is some future upside. There was a possibility that Thorpe regained his 15ppg form and Syracuse had an additional weapon in the form of a 3 guard line up they could break out when it suited them. That won't happen now. Washington is going to be a back up, but I have no reason not to think he can't be a solid back up.

Dolezaj - I'm going to sound like a broken record here. I'm unhappy with him when he doesn't shoot and happy with him when he does. We need him to take shots. Good things tend to happen when he drives to the basket, and we are much easier to defend when he defers to his teammates too often. In the first half Dolezaj drove to the basket and got called with a charge on a call that will be a block 8 out of 10 times. He never tried to drive to the basket again. That was a mistake. He could have scored against Kansas, and he needs to try at least a couple times a half.

Looking ahead to UConn. We are going to be thin. No Thrope (obviously), Battle isnt going to have a ton of recovery time after that Kansas game and there is no telling how he will look, and I'd be surprised if Sidibe got more than 10 minutes of PT (he might not play at all). That said, playing UConn after Kansas will feel like swinging a baseball bat with the doughnut taken off. We are going to be able to get to the rim against them and convert. We are going to outrebound them. They will struggle to score against us unless they have a great shooting night. I expect a fairly big win, and I expect us to score in the mid seventies. I'll even take it a step further. The only opportunity we have to learn much of anything about this team before ACC play is the St. Bonniventure game. UConn, Georgetown, and the rest of the teams we play are all bad.

Your usual great synopsis and insights.

Gtown away is a 'test' only because it's a true road game.
But that still counts for something - and moreso if/when we win, since it will likely be a "quality" (cough, gag :p) road win in the NCAA tournament selection committee's eyes.

Agree that we need to and should curb stomp UConn.
Huck the Fuskies.

Definitely cannot sleep on the Bonnies.

General, I know they’ve played the worst schedule of all time but the Hoyas have some good players, especially up front. Govan is one of the best bigs in the country. Just saying.

Great stuff as usual.

Battle didn't look hobbled at all and moved around better than anyone in orange. Is this speculation an excuse for a poor shooting game or is he really not practicing?

Always good hearing from the original G. I think the best news about this game is how poorly we played offensively with all the travels, flubbed passes, silly fouls and missed shots ... while still keeping the game respectable. Our interior D, as you pointed out, had a lot to do with that. Usually it takes us longer to teach the zone with so many young players. But this group really bought in.

Offensively, we can play A LOT better. I think FH's outside shot will come. Brissett's due from the outside and when that happens will be a matchup headache. And MD needs to keep shooting and driving ... he's got all the tools and just needs to get his jumper to start falling.

Good report.
Wonder mainly about your broken record on Dolezaj. He provides hustle on defense, can use his 6ft 9in height to get on the boards, but does not have an offensive game. So, he should defer as he is doing, so Howard, Battle & Brissett initiate the offense. He can be a garbage scorer -- put backs, or cut and take a feed when he is open, or maybe a short, wide-open jumper. More than that? Maybe next season.

Good report.
Wonder mainly about your broken record on Dolezaj. He provides hustle on defense, can use his 6ft 9in height to get on the boards, but does not have an offensive game. So, he should defer as he is doing, so Howard, Battle & Brissett initiate the offense. He can be a garbage scorer -- put backs, or cut and take a feed when he is open, or maybe a short, wide-open jumper. More than that? Maybe next season.

He fumbled the one feed while open inside from Frank. My broken record is that he plays too fast. Once the game slows for him, he will be great to watch.

General20 being optimistic is a great sign for our team's prospects this year.

No offense at all to anyone especially General, but he also had huge predictions last year around this point.

Sure, last year was maybe the wackiest team we have ever had, but still.

That said- great posts as always related to game content.

Before the game I mentioned that I think Kansas is both the best team in the country and the team that is best suited to score against our zone. If you saw Kansas play against Kentucky, take my word for it, that game was an outlier. They played bad (if by bad you mean still good enough to beat Kentucky) in the first game of the season, but they are really good.

Generally if you're going to beat the best team in the country you need a few breaks to go your way. What we got was our best player playing through an injury, our second best player getting into early foul trouble, and the back up to both of them leaving the team a day earlier. Not what I would call a recipe for success.

Syracuse hung in the game early with tough defense, and good rebounding, but this was not a game you can win with defense alone, you've got to score to beat Kansas. Two things held us back from scoring in the first half. First was Battle's outside shooting. He got several good looks and missed them all while Kansas slowly piled up a lead. Second was the fact that we committed several charges going to the basket (some were good calls others not as much). Regarding the charges, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that it took Syracuse a half to adjust to the speed and athleticism of Kansas's defense. Rather, I think we should celebrate the fact that this young team adjusted, figured out how to get to the basket, and won the second half (if you don't count the last 3 minutes where we were pressing and fouling and Kansas scored the last 6 points of the game).

There were two turning points in this game. One in each half. In the first half Mykhailiuk banked in a three, then barely caught a tipped lob where he got fouled, then Chukwu missed a dunk and got a technical trying to put his miss back in. All together that's a 12 point turnaround, in a minute or two of basketball time, all on extremely unlikely occurrences. That's the kind of bad luck you can't have when you play a better team.

In the second half, Syracuse hit a couple threes opening up the D a little, and probably more importantly they figured out how to get to the basket and convert. They cut the lead to 7 and that's when Graham took the most difficult shot anybody took all game (a fade away 3 from about 28 feet out with Battle's hand in his face) and made it. Huge momentum killer.

A quick note on our defense. We held Kansas to 10% lower than their season average from 3, and we shut down scoring in the post. Our defense played good. By far the best they've played all season in my opinion. I heard a lot of people complaining about all the lobs converted against us but its important to keep in mind that we were NOT just getting beat by the same play over and over again. 4 different players caught lobs against us, and Kansas was fielding 4 and often time 5 great three point shooters on the court at a time while still having the athleticism to convert those lobs. There was simply too much for any defense to account for. They do the same things against man D, and its the reason I consider Kansas to be the best team in the country.

Individual performances:

Howard - A lousy charge call against him and one stupid foul forced him to sit the bench for most of the first half. He came out in the second half and looked like our best player and perhaps the second best player on the court behind Graham. You've got to love that.

Battle - Battle is not healthy, and my guess is he's been tending to his injury rather than practicing between games. This probably explains why he was ice cold during the first half, and that cold shooting did hurt us. Despite his problems, the guy found a way to grind out 22 points. He's going to give a lot of people a lot of problems this year.

Brissett - He had a mismatch that he didn't exploit quite as forcefully as you'd like him to, but we can't forget that he's a freshman playing in his seventh game ever and he still put up 13 and 9 against the best team we will face all year. It should be pointed out that he has been the best rebounder in every game we've played all season. Things are only going to get better with Brissett, he was a huge recruiting "get."

Moyer - We didn't need Moyer to out rebound Maryland and we didn't need Moyer to out rebound Kansas. I'm ready to say it. We don't really need Moyer. He will help with depth, certainly, but we should be thinking of him as the 8th man in the rotation, and we should expect him to receive the limited offensive touches that the 8th man in the rotation usually gets.

Chukwu - Remember when everyone thought that Chukwu was too skinny and would be bullied by P5 centers? Well he just went up against undoubtedly the biggest strongest center he will face all year, and arguably also the best center he will face all year, and he outscored the guy 7 points to 6. I think we can officially stop worrying about Chukwu not being big or strong enough to compete. This is big news for SU.

Sidibe - Looked hurt before getting hurt (I think he came in with a banged up knee and then twisted his ankle, but I could be wrong). The short turn around we've got coming up can't be a good thing for Sidibe. I'll be curious to see how much he plays against UConn, and even more curious to see how he plays once he's fully healthy again.

Washington - I thought he looked active and smart on defense, and cool and composed on offense. Graham tried to get in his hip pocket and bother him with some pressure D, but Washington handled that fine. He went 0-2 from three but he's a decent shooter and he took good shots so I imagine those will start to fall. It wasn't a step down from the way Thorpe has been playing. What we lose from Thorpe leaving is some future upside. There was a possibility that Thorpe regained his 15ppg form and Syracuse had an additional weapon in the form of a 3 guard line up they could break out when it suited them. That won't happen now. Washington is going to be a back up, but I have no reason not to think he can't be a solid back up.

Dolezaj - I'm going to sound like a broken record here. I'm unhappy with him when he doesn't shoot and happy with him when he does. We need him to take shots. Good things tend to happen when he drives to the basket, and we are much easier to defend when he defers to his teammates too often. In the first half Dolezaj drove to the basket and got called with a charge on a call that will be a block 8 out of 10 times. He never tried to drive to the basket again. That was a mistake. He could have scored against Kansas, and he needs to try at least a couple times a half.

Looking ahead to UConn. We are going to be thin. No Thrope (obviously), Battle isnt going to have a ton of recovery time after that Kansas game and there is no telling how he will look, and I'd be surprised if Sidibe got more than 10 minutes of PT (he might not play at all). That said, playing UConn after Kansas will feel like swinging a baseball bat with the doughnut taken off. We are going to be able to get to the rim against them and convert. We are going to outrebound them. They will struggle to score against us unless they have a great shooting night. I expect a fairly big win, and I expect us to score in the mid seventies. I'll even take it a step further. The only opportunity we have to learn much of anything about this team before ACC play is the St. Bonniventure game. UConn, Georgetown, and the rest of the teams we play are all bad.

Agree with all of this stuff. That banked three hurt in conjunction with the missed dunk. If we play this game 10 times we may lose all 10, but KU is very good and we were competitive. Along with the UMD W, we can build off these games. Would be great to add another one tomorrow night.

I heard the game but did not see it. SU is a tall team and KU plays a lot of guards. Why did we not post them up, especially OB, to generate offense?

Individual performances:

If we play this game 10 times we may lose all 10, but KU is very good and we were competitive.

I agree that we probably lose 9 out of 10 times to KU at this point of the season.
Not so sure if that is the case at the end of season when are freshman are no longer freshman.
We will see.

General, I know they’ve played the worst schedule of all time but the Hoyas have some good players, especially up front. Govan is one of the best bigs in the country. Just saying.

Great stuff as usual.

Honestly, we should beat GTown by double figures. Period. As we should UCant.

I heard the game but did not see it. SU is a tall team and KU plays a lot of guards. Why did we not post them up, especially OB, to generate offense?

They would have helped off as we weren't hitting well from outside. But OB never really tried, and probably should have. Plus, with our bigs, no way they need to be guarded outside the lane at this point.

Agree with most of your player assessments except Washington's defense and asking Dolezaj to score. Washington looked a little slow to me on rotations and there were also a few plays where he didn't extend out enough on Graham and was a spectator watching him take and make LOOOONG 3-pointers. And Dolezaj... yeah, you could ask for him to be more aggressive on offense, but he was so physically overmatched out there that even if he did score, it wouldn't have been with the efficiency needed to make a positive impact on the game.

Individual performances:

Good stuff. I thought another crucial play, and I believe looking at the PBP it happened with 9:37 left in the 2nd half, when Graham threw up a prayer and Tyus got called for a phantom three shot foul and the lead went from 9 to 12. I knew at that point that it was over and we had no shot no matter what we did.

Battle didn't look hobbled at all and moved around better than anyone in orange. Is this speculation an excuse for a poor shooting game or is he really not practicing?
Most of the shots that Battle took in the first half were short which told me he wasn't getting the lift he needed because his back still wasn't right.

Most of the shots that Battle took in the first half were short which told me he wasn't getting the lift he needed because his back still wasn't right.

So he got better for the Maryland game but got worse for Kansas.

It couldn't have been that he just had a bad game?

So he got better for the Maryland game but got worse for Kansas.

It couldn't have been that he just had a bad game?
Second half he pushed through it and got 22 for the game. Just saying he looked a little tight in the first half.

battle was holding his back all game, so he is far from feeling great..

11 days with just the colgate game before gtown is great for him

Could be good for Sidibe too. Tendinitis can be problematic.

Felt like the refs ruined the first half of play. I recorded the second half but had no desire to watch it because the first half was so chopped up. No flow to the game, not enjoyable to watch.

Regarding the Georgetown game. SU was better than Georgetown last year and the year before in my opinion and lost both games. GU usually beats the crap out of us on the boards and they know how to beat the zone. We may win but I doubt it will be easy.

my son had races this weekend & i missed the game in real time, finally watched it tonight.

i was very disappointed. we should have shown better than we did. our advantage was going inside but instead we settled for jumpers. tyus and oshae are at their best slashing to the basket, not taking a combined 19(!) three pointers. while we did the usual great job on the offensive glass, we weren't aggressive with our advantage there, either. oshae & marek came into the game with a combined 17 offensive rebound put backs for baskets. they left the game with the same number. i understand that they got gun shy with the early charge calls, but that is no reason to throw away your advantage and resort to the weakest part of your game.

that being said, there was a lot to be encouraged about. frank answered the question of whether he would be able to perform vs top flight, p5 guards. he didn't flinch against the great jayhawk guards, and if his teammates could make shots he would have had another double double. he made 2 nice interior passes that were near certain assists and probably another half dozen for open threes that just didn't go down.

the defense was solid but clearly still some holes that need to be cleaned up. the response to the foul line entry was much better than vs. maryland and, considering the opponent, the 3 pt defense was adequate. but even though few future opponents will have the athleticism of kansas, they need to better recognize the lob play

the rebounding continues to amaze. as i've noted before, su is usually a good offensive rebounding team, but the defensive rebounding is unusually good for a zone team. kansas managed only 7 offensive rebounds on 28 missed shots - 25%. by way of comparison, the orange got 15 of 38 missed shots, nearly 40%

i'm still high on this team; i think by the time conference play rolls around we'll prove to be one of the top 5-6 teams. but i'm disappointed. it's pretty clear that we'd have had to have a perfect game to have won on saturday, but the issue should have been closer than it was.

maybe we'll get them again in march

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom