Karl Hess | Syracusefan.com

Karl Hess

It seems like the worst refs are always the ones who are the prima donnas, preening and acting like the fans came to see them make mistakes...

Agreed. And unfortunately for college basketball, there's a contingent of demonstrative refs who fit what you're describing who have never grasped that officials in general should be seen and not heard, and that the game should be about the players -- not them imposing their personality on the game.

The shirts they are selling are great too. Hess is a terrible ref and I think the aggressive stuff maybe it is that he is self aware and knows he screwed up or even that he sucks. I grew up yelling at Jim Burr and Tim Higgins, although it was through a television. They are so much worse than Hess it's not even funny.

It seems like the worst refs are always the ones who are the prima donnas, preening and acting like the fans came to see them make mistakes...
Agreed. And unfortunately for college basketball, there's a contingent of demonstrative refs who fit what you're describing who have never grasped that officials in general should be seen and not heard, and that the game should be about the players -- not them imposing their personality on the game.
Sounds a lot like TV Teddy. During the Bonaventure game he kept going over to the benches to argue more. None of the coaches called him over but he insisted on bickering. He was horrible for both teams as per usual. This is the exact type of personality that shouldn’t be a referee imo.

Is there a shortage of refs that this guy keeps getting work?

Is there a shortage of refs that this guy keeps getting work?

Unfortunately, refereeing -- similar to the coaching profession -- is more a "good ol' boys club" than people would like to admit.

Karl Hess is the new Jim Burr.

And I don't particularly like that Jamie Lucky guy either.

The shirts they are selling are great too. Hess is a terrible ref and I think the aggressive stuff maybe it is that he is self aware and knows he screwed up or even that he sucks. I grew up yelling at Jim Burr and Tim Higgins, although it was through a television. They are so much worse than Hess it's not even funny.

How about Dick 'Froggy' Papparo?
We as fans should not know or remember for 30 to 40 years the names of the refs.

How about Dick 'Froggy' Papparo?
We as fans should not know or remember for 30 to 40 years the names of the refs.
I was just thinking of him! Wasn't he from the Syracuse area and stopped doing SU games because he caught so much crap at home? There really have been some spectacularly bad refs over the years. I've always wondered if the good refs ever called them out in private? I kind of doubt it.

I was just thinking of him! Wasn't he from the Syracuse area and stopped doing SU games because he caught so much crap at home? There really have been some spectacularly bad refs over the years. I've always wondered if the good refs ever called them out in private? I kind of doubt it.

He was from the Syracuse area. I don't know why he stopped doing Syracuse games but I'm glad he did.
Apparently we weren't the only ones who hated him 1997 article on Froggy ``He usually sticks it to us,' said an incensed Winston Lawton of Estill, S.C. ``He acts like he's a celebrity, not just an official.'

Didn't the ACC ban Karl Hess after he had some big controversy with NC State games a few years ago?

Didn't the ACC ban Karl Hess after he had some big controversy with NC State games a few years ago?
According to the article cited above, he was terminated because of racist comments during a Wake Forest/Louisville game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom