Ken Harrelson out, Jason Benetti in | Syracusefan.com

Ken Harrelson out, Jason Benetti in

I think John Sterling could win most obnoxious announcer ever.
Not even close. Harrellson is in a league by himself. Opposing teams don't dislike Sterling. And at one time, Harrellson was a good broadcaster. Then he went to Chicago and just went off the rails.

Not even close. Harrellson is in a league by himself. Opposing teams don't dislike Sterling. And at one time, Harrellson was a good broadcaster. Then he went to Chicago and just went off the rails.

Totally agree about Harrelson. Used to watch the White Sox some on WGN and I couldn't last very long with him. There is being a homer, which most team announcers are to an extent, and then there is the league he is in.

I read his autobiography to see if he is really as arrogant as he appeared on tv. He most certainly is. It's been a long time since I've read it, but he seems to think he could have made it easily on the PGA Tour and I think a few other sports.

Last edited:
Totally agree about Harrelson. Used to watch the White Sox some on WGN and I couldn't last very long with him. There is being a homer, which most team announcers are to an extend, and then there is the league he is in.

I read his autobiography to see if he is really as arrogant as he appeared on tv. He most certainly is. It's been a long time since I've read it, but he seems to think he could have made it easily on the PGA Tour and I think a few other sports.
He also thought he could be a G.M. in baseball. And he was. And he was a disaster.

i find it funny how every time a long time 'legendary' announcer retires, the board jumps all over them and slams them.

this board is full of people who love sports, but must be miserable watching or listening to it when not there live. :noidea:

Oh Lord

I love Hawk.

He is the ultimate homer.
He gone, stretch you can put it on the board.

Glad he is getting a send off season.

He is a legend.

Cmon on the Hawk is great.
Give him a big moment and he is great.

My grandma hated him though when he was on the Red Sox. He replaced Tony C who was a legend and had his career taken from him. She claimed he blew a game for the Sox in the 67 WS.

Cmon on the Hawk is great.
Give him a big moment and he is great.

My grandma hated him though when he was on the Red Sox. He replaced Tony C who was a legend and had his career taken from him. She claimed he blew a game for the Sox in the 67 WS.
Hawk didn't blow a game in the world series. He just didn't so anything good. Same as his broadcasting.

i find it funny how every time a long time 'legendary' announcer retires, the board jumps all over them and slams them.

this board is full of people who love sports, but must be miserable watching or listening to it when not there live. :noidea:

Oh Lord

Well at least we can agree Phil Simms isn't legendary.

I know a lot of Yankee fans that hate Sterling.

Hopefully he will be forced out then
for what??

making radio broadcasts excellent with must listen sound bites and his professionalism on voiceovers on YES???

Sterling will never retire.
That job is his life. He cares too much.
hes also worked his way in as 'The Voice of the Yankees' for a few generations.

the man hasn't missed a Yankee game since he started in '89.

he does all the MC'ing of anything Yankee related, hes one of their most important employees...outside of the scouts and GM of course.

if you are a current or former Yankee being awarded something...do you want John Sterling or Jason Zillo presiding over the event??

listen, hes got his faults, but yeah...hes going nowhere.

hes also worked his way in as 'The Voice of the Yankees' for a few generations.

the man hasn't missed a Yankee game since he started in '89.

he does all the MC'ing of anything Yankee related, hes one of their most important employees...outside of the scouts and GM of course.

if you are a current or former Yankee being awarded something...do you want John Sterling or Jason Zillo presiding over the event??

listen, hes got his faults, but yeah...hes going nowhere.

No one is saying that he doesn't work hard or cares, he is annoying, I think he has a good voice, but he isn't funny.

No one is saying that he doesn't work hard or cares, he is annoying, I think he has a good voice, but he isn't funny.
Funny, is not what he's going for.

Memorable is,...and I'd say he's done it.

And valuable in today's hot take and soundbite era.

This thread tangent proves it.

He will be missed when gone...

Funny, is not what he's going for.

Memorable is,...and I'd say he's done it.

And valuable in today's hot take and soundbite era.

This thread tangent proves it.

He will be missed when gone...
I don't personally care for sports announcers that go out of their way to bring attention to themselves. I don't blame other fans for having fun and enjoying it though.

Sterling has amazing pipes. Until maybe five to seven years ago he generally did a good job of describing the action, save for the too frequent premature home run calls that result in balls caught on the warning track or foul balls (he never apologizes for these by the way).

Age has gotten the best of him now. I'm not sure if it is his eye-sight or just the brain working more slowly, but I can no longer count on Sterling to accurately describe the action on the field. Too often I am staring at my radio completely confused about what is happening. Sterling is seemingly as confused as I am. It is time for him to go.

Sterling has been a significant part of my life for 28 years, as I do far more listening to the Yankees than watching. It will be strange to hear someone else, but it is definitely time.