Kentucky recruits if Cal goes to the NBA | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky recruits if Cal goes to the NBA

2-3zone

2nd String
Lyles, Ulis, Booker and Towns

Will the school let them go or hold them to their LOI?

Bigger question is, who will become unhappy from riding the pine next season at UK if the Harrison twins, Dakari and Poythress don't make the jump to the league.

I know we offered Towns and he is from nearby NJ, would SU have a chance with him if this happened? (I know cal is 97% staying at UK)

I don't think anyone would decommit. UK would hire another high profile coach. Shaka would finally leave VCU.

All good questions. Chad Ford has a chat this afternoon. He usually has good intel. I don't think Dakari is that good. I still think both Harrisons and Poythress are good players and will probably bolt. All three will be decent NBA players., imo. Poythress would be a STUD on 99% of other teams in college. Beast down low and even more athletic this year this since he trimmed down a little.

I think the Harrisons will stay if one of them is a projected to be a late first round pick. I think they want to go into the league together. Both have the potential and opportunity to raise their draft stock quite a bit if they were to stay. Poythress will be a good pro once he gets there, but I think he too wants to be a lottery pick.

I am more interested in who would get that job after Calipari. Donovan has declined it twice, Smart isn't proven enough IMO to satisfy UK fans, Kevin Ollie wouldn't leave UConn, what other young hot coaches would Kentucky target?

I think Brad Stevens with the Celtics is waiting for Indiana to eventually pop Tom Crean and he can go home to college basketball at the best job in his home state. Crean's season last year is why I think Stevens took the Celtics job as he wanted the Indiana job and declined other jobs to stay at Butler, but when Crean rebuilt Indiana last year he couldn't have thought they would go completely postseason less this season. Crean probably has 1 more bad season before Indiana would pop him.

Kentucky's next coach I think would come from Jay Wright, Mark Few, or Sean Miller.

Mark Few would be best served staying at Gonzaga...lest he get exposed for how overrrated he is.

I am more interested in who would get that job after Calipari. Donovan has declined it twice, Smart isn't proven enough IMO to satisfy UK fans, Kevin Ollie wouldn't leave UConn, what other young hot coaches would Kentucky target?

I think Brad Stevens with the Celtics is waiting for Indiana to eventually pop Tom Crean and he can go home to college basketball at the best job in his home state. Crean's season last year is why I think Stevens took the Celtics job as he wanted the Indiana job and declined other jobs to stay at Butler, but when Crean rebuilt Indiana last year he couldn't have thought they would go completely postseason less this season. Crean probably has 1 more bad season before Indiana would pop him.

Kentucky's next coach I think would come from Jay Wright, Mark Few, or Sean Miller.

It's gotta be somebody who can handle all of the outsiders' nonsense and distractions at UK. We think there is lots of second-guessing here or questioning of coaching, players, etc here?! On another level there with the fan base, boosters, media coverage 24/7 like vultures. I could see Sean Miller. Miller has proven he can handle and manage the egos of lots of freshman and young players playing as well.

Fred Hoilberg has a 20 million dollar buyout if he leaves Iowa State for another college job, but its only 2 million if he leaves for the NBA. I thought about him, but Iowa State protected themselves from other college teams coming in. He could go to the NBA though in the future.

Alsacs said:

Scott Drew would appear to possess the skills to be the next Kentucky coach. I wonder how he gets on with WWW?

Would Hoilberg get an interview?

Maybe sometime. Hoiberg hasn't proven yet that he can be a stud recruiter. I think he will be in due time and I love his coaching. I think his roster this season was a bunch of transfers, veteran players, and a nice freshman in Monte Morris.

Scott Drew would appear to possess the skills to be the next Kentucky coach. I wonder how he gets on with WWW?
yeah especially since Baylor is an adidas school

It's gotta be somebody who can handle all of the outsiders' nonsense and distractions at UK. We think there is lots of second-guessing here or questioning of coaching, players, etc here?! On another level there with the fan base, boosters, media coverage 24/7 like vultures. I could see Sean Miller. Miller has proven he can handle and manage the egos of lots of freshman and young players playing as well.
I was leaning towards Miller since he is an Western PA kid, and while Arizona is a top 10ish job he seems like Eastern guy. He was targeted to replace Gary Williams at Maryland, but saw rightfully that Arizona was a better job than Maryland.

I think Miller could do well at Kentucky since he can recruit, and the fanbase wouldn't hate the hire off the bat like they could with other guys.

Scott Drew would cause a meltdown on BBN boards. His teams are always talented, but meltdown in the tournament. They have made 2 Elite Eights, and another Sweet 16 appearance this year. When Dan Dakich was talking about Baylor during the Indiana-Syracuse game this year he said that team has the talent to get you fired. Meaning he was saying Drew can recruit, but is a really awful coach in managing his talent.

Maybe sometime. Hoiberg hasn't proven yet that he can be a stud recruiter. I think he will be in due time and I love his coaching. I think his roster this season was a bunch of transfers, veteran players, and a nice freshman in Monte Morris.

Hard to recruit studs to Ames Iowa over traditional powers.

I don't know if I would take the Lakers job. Cal is in a great spot in Kentucky. With his connections and protection, he'll always have a top-3 recruiting class. He may not win every year, but he'll win a lot. Elite 8, Final 4, Championship, Whiff, Title game ... even with the whiff, that's a helluva run.

The only thing that could push him to LAL would be some deep seated need to prove himself in the pros. I can't imagine he'd be paid much more than he is now and right now he doesn't have much competition.

I don't see Cal leaving, but Gregg Marshall would have to be near the top of the list.

Lyles, Ulis, Booker and Towns

Will the school let them go or hold them to their LOI?

Cal recruits do not sign LOI's. That's how Wall was able to skip Memphis and go straight to UK.

Mark Few would be best served staying at Gonzaga...lest he get exposed for how overrrated he is.

If he hasn't left by now he isn't leaving anytime soon. Few saw how the previous coach (Monson) took the fast money after the 1999 tourney run and got booted from Minnsota mid season in 2006/07.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom