Kentucky | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Really tired of hearing how incredible it is that they win any games at all with such a young roster. I watch their games in passing, the announcers mention the teams average age, % of minutes/points by freshmen, etc. approximately every 2.5 minutes. They have top 5 players at every position, and All-Americans that sit the bench. Count it up: six 5-stars and two 4-stars. Announcer just said, "I don't know how they can be expected to come into this environment and win."

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.10.58 PM.png

The production meetings must be something else.
Producer:

Hey, Kentucky sucks. We know they should get to the Final Four every year, but once again, they're not going. The brass says we can't say anything negative about Cal, we might not get access, so whose got some positives we can use today.

From around the table
He wears nice suits
He goes into the home of kids in bad neighborhoods.
His team is really young.
He never eats Italian without his wife.
No proof he gives the kids strippers.

Producer:

Wait. Go back to the young team thing. I like that. I mean, I love the Louisville stuff, but Pitino might come back to coach, and we want him to like still like us.

Table:
Can we still bash Boeheim.

Producer:

All day long. Viewers and the brass love that.

My only problem with youth, inexperience being an excuse for Kentucky is that it exactly what Calipari wants. He recruits one and dones, it's his claim to fame and he sells the talent over experience to his players, to fans etc. So he should be judged by the results just like JB is judged by the success of his zone.

Been saying it for years, Cal's got it absolutely made. It's pretty ingenious, actually. If he's winning, he's given more credit than others for doing it with such a young, inexperienced team. If he's losing, those factors become excuses. We're starting to hear Coach K being judged by the same standards. I love that whenever Cal's teams start losing, he publicly shames them in the media for not "listening to him" &/or "buying in"....I'm sorry, isn't that basically your entire job?

Knox was a beast last night and the reason UK won. WVA is kind of an enigma in how they play so well, then so bad. Three times recently they blew large double digit leads, twice at home under 9 minutes to play in the game, last night, and a week or so earlier against Kansas. The other large double digit second half blown loss was against Texas Tech...a bad trend of theirs.

On an aside, I again was watching QG a lot when he was in the game and again I came away not very impressed. When he had the ball in his hands, he never penetrated, nor show any indication whatsoever that he could take his defender off the dribble. Just a lot of side to side passing, etc., reminded me of Kaleb Joseph a lot, except QG is 5'10" tops. I'm not convinced, at least from what I've seen to date, that he would have been that savior type pg we all have been hoping for since Ennis.

Been saying it for years, Cal's got it absolutely made. It's pretty ingenious, actually. If he's winning, he's given more credit than others for doing it with such a young, inexperienced team. If he's losing, those factors become excuses. We're starting to hear Coach K being judged by the same standards. I love that whenever Cal's teams start losing, he publicly shames them in the media for not "listening to him" &/or "buying in"...I'm sorry, isn't that basically your entire job?

No doubt! Just like Saban and Coach K do...however, they also had the multiple championships to show for it.

No doubt! Just like Saban and Coach K do...however, they also had the multiple championships to show for it.
I meant that Cal, & now K, have it made with the built-in excuse of fielding a team of 1-&-dones. They're praised more for winning while their losses are explained away by the pundits. Saban doesn't fit that description because you get kids for 3 years in CFB.

Knox was a beast last night and the reason UK won. WVA is kind of an enigma in how they play so well, then so bad. Three times recently they blew large double digit leads, twice at home under 9 minutes to play in the game, last night, and a week or so earlier against Kansas. The other large double digit second half blown loss was against Texas Tech...a bad trend of theirs.

On an aside, I again was watching QG a lot when he was in the game and again I came away not very impressed. When he had the ball in his hands, he never penetrated, nor show any indication whatsoever that he could take his defender off the dribble. Just a lot of side to side passing, etc., reminded me of Kaleb Joseph a lot, except QG is 5'10" tops. I'm not convinced, at least from what I've seen to date, that he would have been that savior type pg we all have been hoping for since Ennis.

WVA lost this game. They did not capitalize on turnovers in the first half and could not maintain the press. They should have been up 25 at half time.

i just wish the ncaa would loosen up a bit and allow coaches like K and CAL to whip out the big wad and pay kids during games for performance.

wad.jpg

Last edited:
Where Kentucky can get dangerous is if they have 3 or 4 players stick around and bring in a recruiting class as well like 2015. That 2015 team was great, but even then great never guarantees a title.

And that 2012 team had the upper class role players (or was it 2010?)

Last edited:
This.
I’ve watched QG several times this year and each time have come away thoroughly unimpressed.
This isn’t some game-changer PG who was gonna come here and lead from day one. I’m sorry, i see nothing special w/ him. And certainly not worthy of walking away from numerous other available options. Mind boggling why the staff thought differently.

Double whammy on the coaches for being all in on a guy that sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom