keys to upset | Syracusefan.com

keys to upset

jgeorge322

Living Legend
-contain delvin cook
-pressure Everett golson/prevent him from extending plays

i really think we can be competitive Saturday. kind of wish ga tech didn't upset last week, as fsu will be out for blood. however, i think we have a shot. what do you guys think?

So, stop a potent run game and get pressure on the QB - two things we haven't done well in the last three games. Not sure I think this will be that competitive, but I'm not giving up hope.

Seriously, hopefully FSU is over looking us and on to Clemson. That with the early start and perhaps they will come out flat. Need to keep this game close

texascpa said:
So, stop a potent run game and get pressure on the QB - two things we haven't done well in the last three games. Not sure I think this will be that competitive, but I'm not giving up hope.

We've gotten decent pressure and have created fumbles in three games in a row that we haven't recovered.

Thought we got pretty good pressure Saturday. This FSU team is not close to the team that buried us two years ago. Not an upset scenario down there coming off the Tech loss.

most everyone thought we'd lose to LSU by 45+. I think we'll keep it close, going to be a tough road game though

We've gotten decent pressure and have created fumbles in three games in a row that we haven't recovered.
Agree Cusian - we've been incredibly unlucky lately on so many levels - including unlucky bounces. Time for some breaks.

Cook really looks like the hamstring injury is getting worse, rather then better. They need him healthy against Clemson, and a week off might do the trick. Plus why take the chance he gets hurt worse in a game they feel they will win with ease.

Cook really looks like the hamstring injury is getting worse, rather then better. They need him healthy against Clemson, and a week off might do the trick. Plus why take the chance he gets hurt worse in a game they feel they will win with ease.
Normally I think you'd be right, but the Noles just lost to a GT team they should have beat. They still hope to make the playoff if they run the table. Plus the game is being televised on ABC.

I'm concerned our freshman starters have never been in an environment like FSU in front of 70,000+ fans. The might need another growth spurt.

But this is interesting because we've shown we can compete against strong teams.

- pressure Golston into his 22 TO self from last season.
- gang tackle their RB's like we did some of the time vs Fournette.
- get off he field on 3rd down

- put together two halves of offensive football
- run with Fredericks up the gut
- play action to Ish and Estime over the top

just like pitt, i'm going to hope they run the ball to dalvin cook. he might go for 200 yards. but i think it gives us a better chance to win than trying to contain their WR

florida state doesn't have that many tackles for loss so maybe we keep dungey upright. no wasted plays. run to runners, throw to receivers

- pressure Golston into his 22 TO self from last season.
- gang tackle their RB's like we did some of the time vs Fournette.
- get off he field on 3rd down

- put together two halves of offensive football
- run with Fredericks up the gut
- play action to Ish and Estime over the top

Concerned about Golson, as some here might remember his performance against us last season (32/39 for 362 yards, 4 TD's 2 INT's and a stretch of 25 straight completions). He did have those two picks and a costly fluke fumble in the red zone, so he can get rattled. The D is really going to have its hands full though.

Concerned about Golson, as some here might remember his performance against us last season (32/39 for 362 yards, 4 TD's 2 INT's and a stretch of 25 straight completions). He did have those two picks and a costly fluke fumble in the red zone, so he can get rattled. The D is really going to have its hands full though.
golson gets a lot of flak. he's a very good QB. he's just not great.

Millhouse said:
golson gets a lot of flak. he's a very good QB. he's just not great.

That's a good way to describe their passing attack this year. I don't know that our passing D will be able to handle him. Need pressure.

i think golson got us on some play action bombs. im concerned about that. however, we have not gotten beat over the top too much this year. the play against usf hurt bad, and wake got us, but do not feel like we've been giving up too many long ones.