kickoff coverage team players | Syracusefan.com

kickoff coverage team players

kcsu

Living Legend
Looking at the roster these are the players outside of Norton who i think will comprise the Kickoff coverage team. There seem to be plenty of guys who can run and tackle along with a few bruisers to bust the wedge. I tried to limit key players to younger guys and kept them at a minimum as i feel we have enough talent to allow key players to sit this one out especially if Norton can add 10-15 yards to the distance from last year.

Wedge busters: Beaulieu, Piasecki, Cleveland, Cutler, Burke
Coverage players: Eskridge, Ford, Mungwa, Jarret, Joe Nassib, Tobias, Chris Williamson, Zack McCarrel, Aliyu

You could also add some guys like Morgan and a few of the other frosh to the mix as well. All in all i believe we have enough talent to field a solid coverage team again Norton is the key.

Norton will not out-kick RK by 10-15 yards. I think we can safely surmise if Norton makes the Kick-off Team he'll be there to let RK rest his leg. Let's wait until he makes campus and see how he kicks under pressure in college. I'm wishing him good luck.

Where have you been the last few seasons rip...they banned the wedge blocking schemes of the past.

You need to start moving forward,son.Speed is what we need,not alex karras mongo

Looking at the roster these are the players outside of Norton who i think will comprise the Kickoff coverage team. There seem to be plenty of guys who can run and tackle along with a few bruisers to bust the wedge. I tried to limit key players to younger guys and kept them at a minimum as i feel we have enough talent to allow key players to sit this one out especially if Norton can add 10-15 yards to the distance from last year.

Coverage players: Eskridge, Ford, Mungwa, Jarret, Joe Nassib, Tobias, Chris Williamson, Zack McCarrel, Aliyu

You could also add some guys like Morgan and a few of the other frosh to the mix as well. All in all i believe we have enough talent to field a solid coverage team again Norton is the key.

Norton will not out-kick RK by 10-15 yards. I think we can safely surmise if Norton makes the Kick-off Team he'll be there to let RK rest his leg. Let's wait until he makes campus and see how he kicks under pressure in college. I'm wishing him good luck.
Actually if you look at the kids film he will out kick RK by a minimum of 10 yards. Rick does not have a great long leg. He is accurate from about 45 in but kicking off is not his strong suit as he is actually pretty weak at it. Norton has a cannon compared to RK

Actually he has a very good leg...you realize RK was directional kicking all last season? When you do that you lose 5-10 yards off your distance. We were directional kicking to try to mitigate some of the liabilities we had on STs coverage. Let's see how camp goes before anointing an unproven kicker the job.

The link below shows the stats from the BE last year.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/leader/823/player/split01/category29/sort01.html

Actually if you look at the kids film he will out kick RK by a minimum of 10 yards. Rick does not have a great long leg. He is accurate from about 45 in but kicking off is not his strong suit as he is actually pretty weak at it. Norton has a cannon compared to RK

I think Norton does Ko's but only so that RK doesn't have to. Only a few BE kickers last year had to. But if people expect to see what they saw on the high light film, they could be disappointed with the unfair expectations. It is a high light film. After that he was in an all star game or some competition (forget which) and he didn't fair very well at all. I don't think he will outkick RK at all but he will likely get the job and focus on that alone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I hope the staff puts the best possible athletes on this unit. The only player on your list I agree with (other than maybe Norton) is Eskridge. Coker was one of our best special teams players last season. He has to be on this team. The others I want are Lynch, Spruill, Shamarko Thomas, Wilkes, Anderson, Lyn, Virgille and Diabate (another of our best special teams players last year).

I would prefer guys like Kobena, Reddish and Anene to the slow footed walk ons you name. It is great we have them on the team, I respect and appreciate their contributions, but we can't be messing around. Special teams are serious business. We should treat them as such.

I hope the staff puts the best possible athletes on this unit. The only player on your list I agree with (other than maybe Norton) is Eskridge. Coker was one of our best special teams players last season. He has to be on this team. The others I want are Lynch, Spruill, Shamarko Thomas, Wilkes, Anderson, Lyn, Virgille and Diabate (another of our best special teams players last year).

I would prefer guys like Kobena, Reddish and Anene to the slow footed walk ons you name. It is great we have them on the team, I respect and appreciate their contributions, but we can't be messing around. Special teams are serious business. We should treat them as such.
I dont agree Tom as we are not deep enough to risk some of these guys to injury. Spruill no way as we have nothing behind him same with Lyn who should be our top cover guy, Thomas, Lynch, and Anderson. I agree with Coker Virgille and Dietab possibly Wilkes

I dont agree Tom as we are not deep enough to risk some of these guys to injury. Spruill no way as we have nothing behind him same with Lyn who should be our top cover guy, Thomas, Lynch, and Anderson. I agree with Coker Virgille and Dietab possibly Wilkes

I disagree. I think the secondary is now deep enough. The Linebackers are a bit of a mystery, but I think there's enough back there to support their use on special teams.

While this isn't kick off duty, I would like to see offensive linemen blocking on XPs instead of DEs. I don't understand why Chandler, Ball, and Welsh were all blocking on the offensive side last year.

Lyn is our best cover guy, Spruill cant be replaced, Thomas is the QB of the D. The rest of the guys i guess im ok with still i have to think we are better off burning a RS or two rather than risk injury to every down players until we have a little more depth. This years schedule is brutal. You have to assume that we are going to lose a player or two in critical positions. No sense in risking an already thin roster on Specials. If Texas A&M can make it work with walk ons we should be able to do so with second and third teamers sprinkled with a few vets and frosh. Coaching needs to step up more than the players.

I think Norton does Ko's but only so that RK doesn't have to. Only a few BE kickers last year had to. But if people expect to see what they saw on the high light film, they could be disappointed with the unfair expectations. It is a high light film. After that he ia latest in an all star game or some competition (forget which) and he didn't fair very well at all. I don't think he will outkick RK at all but he will likely get the job and focus on that alone.

He was more inconsistent than anything else at the all-star game. He had one kick that went about five yards out of the back of the endzone, one that was into the middle of the endzone, one at the 10, and one at the 15.

He was more inconsistent than anything else at the all-star game. He had one kick that went about five yards out of the back of the endzone, one that was into the middle of the endzone, one at the 10, and one at the 15.

That was it. Where did they kick from BTW? That highlight film looks great but it is only his best ones.

the last 2 you mentioned came after he found out sandusky was in the neighborhood

That was it. Where did they kick from BTW? That highlight film looks great but it is only his best ones.

I can't remember where they were kicking from, but two of the kicks were absolute blasts.

Lyn is our best cover guy, Spruill cant be replaced, Thomas is the QB of the D. The rest of the guys i guess im ok with still i have to think we are better off burning a RS or two rather than risk injury to every down players until we have a little more depth. This years schedule is brutal. You have to assume that we are going to lose a player or two in critical positions. No sense in risking an already thin roster on Specials. If Texas A&M can make it work with walk ons we should be able to do so with second and third teamers sprinkled with a few vets and frosh. Coaching needs to step up more than the players.
We tried with walk ons and it was a miserable failure. Special teams are far more important than you think. Trying to comparing walk ons at Texas A&M, a public school based in a state with a tremendous amount of talent, and a tradition of supporting walk ons that is second to none, to walk ons at Syracuse, a private school with prohibitive costs for tuition and little incentive, history, tradition or local talent, is just a bad idea.

Play the starters and the second team level athletes. The best we have. We don't have the talent in our defensive and offensive units to spot every team we play 10 points a game due to bad special teams play (which we did last season). As others have explained, rules have been changed that make it less likely a player will get hurt playing special teams (like Sharpe did as a frosh).

Play to win. If a player gets hurt doing it, it is a risk that is worth taking. IMHO, we can't have a winning season and go to a bowl playing 6 or 7 walk ons on our coverage units (or return units for that matter). At this point, the program is finally close to normal depth again. Let's use it and win some games.