Kieta | Syracusefan.com

Kieta

Has Kieta regressed since the begging of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

CU44SE

All Conference
Is it me or has Kieta regressed sense the beginning of the year. In the beginning of the year I thought he was our most effective center. Blocking shots, catching and finishing near the rim. I know it was weaker competition, but lately he has really played poorly. He isn't catching anything clean and is getting shoved out of the way on rebounds. We really need him to step up, I was also hoping for another strong performance from Christmas. Against Notre Dame he came out and set the tone early. That didn't happen in this game, but it may have been due to the foul trouble.

Not really sure why you picked this game to make a comment about it. I think this was one of his better in recent memories. Played hardnosed D, drew charges, had a nice dunk, couple layups, etc.

2 Things:

As Go Ham says Keita did have a pretty decent game yesterday and as the season has progressed we are facing much better and more physical teams and the inside play is being watched (refereed) by Big East officials. Is it any surprise Keita is having a tougher time getting and maintaining position.

With regard to Christmas. I thought he was having a decent start to his game before he was substituted out for the first time. JB substituted him out and he didn't get back in for quite a while and then it was like he wasn't even there from that point on, unless he was there to make a mistake.

Not really sure why you picked this game to make a comment about it. I think this was one of his better in recent memories. Played hardnosed D, drew charges, had a nice dunk, couple layups, etc.

I have to agree with you regarding the game yesterday, but the reality is that other than that effort, he has regressed.

I have to agree with you regarding the game yesterday, but the reality is that other than that effort, he has regressed.
If Keita can play like he did yesterday for the rest of the season, SU will have a more-than-serviceable center combination. Much better than say, Forth & McNeil in 2003.

I should have been more specific. like you, I thought yesterday was one of his best games in a while. With that said, 2 of his 4 buckets were due to goaltending (1 was definetly not going in, the other shot would have been close), he mishandled the ball 2 or 3 times down low and he was shoved out of the way for several rebounds. Like I said, I thought he was our most productive big in the beginning of the year, The stuff i mentioned wasn't happening earlier. I would say right now Rak is our most productive big man.

Lets just put it this way. We are BLESSED as a program to have a guy like Kieta who can give us 20-25 a game if needed.

He is who he is. Not great hands, commits silly fouls at times but he kid plays hard and gives this team a maximum effort every game he plays (unlike Rak who at times doesnt but is more talented).

I would take Forth/McNeil over Christmas/Keita.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

For defense, yes.

It's also much easier to have a very offensively limited center when you had a guy who is currently the best scorer in the NBA.

I'm more worried about Rak than BMK.
During the game Dakich mentioned that Coach Hop had been showing Rak movies like "Rocky", and documentaries on "Muhammad Ali", ANYTHING to try & light a fire in this kid.
We don't need much from him other than good D and rebounding, and at times he shows flashes of dominance.
I think all the new tats, the Fauxhawk, etc.- are attempts to get in the "tough guy" mindset, ie; looking tough = being tough.
I hope it gets him there, because at times when looking at his face he seems conflicted...like he'd rather be anywhere else than banging down low for rebounds.
Again, JMHO- and I hope it all finally clicks. :noidea:

thought the same thing

I would take Seikaly & Coleman over any of them!

i would take Shaq and Stanley Robinson

Actually... the best high school front court of all time was the Atlanta Celtics - Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Randolph Morris. I'll take them.

During the game Dakich mentioned that Coach Hop had been showing Rak movies like "Rocky", and documentaries on "Muhammad Ali", ANYTHING to try & light a fire in this kid.
We don't need much from him other than good D and rebounding, and at times he shows flashes of dominance.
I think all the new tats, the Fauxhawk, etc.- are attempts to get in the "tough guy" mindset, ie; looking tough = being tough.
I hope it gets him there, because at times when looking at his face he seems conflicted...like he'd rather be anywhere else than banging down low for rebounds.
'

I was really hoping that he was going to put together a second consecutive solid game after his impressive offensive outing against Notre Dame. Look, the bottom line is that he has to step up. With Coleman out, we're down an option in the pivot, so Rak has to produce more. He's also demonstrated that he's more comfortable playing in the pivot than at the 4, so this is a gift wrapped opportunity for him to get into a comfort zone and start producing.

He's capable of giving us solid production on both ends [I mean as a complimentary / clean up scorer, not a focal point]. He's got all the tools. And for this team to excel, we need to get some reasonable level of production from him. He's got to start bringing it every game--even if it is 6 and 6 or 7 and 7.

'

I was really hoping that he was going to put together a second consecutive solid game after his impressive offensive outing against Notre Dame. Look, the bottom line is that he has to step up. With Coleman out, we're down an option in the pivot, so Rak has to produce more. He's also demonstrated that he's more comfortable playing in the pivot than at the 4, so this is a gift wrapped opportunity for him to get into a comfort zone and start producing.

He's capable of giving us solid production on both ends [I mean as a complimentary / clean up scorer, not a focal point]. He's got all the tools. And for this team to excel, we need to get some reasonable level of production from him. He's got to start bringing it every game--even if it is 6 and 6 or 7 and 7.

This is largely why I was disappointed the JB subbed him out as early as he did yesterday. Game was going well, he was playing alright - nothing spectacular, but reasonably well. When he finally got back in he seemed to have lost any edge and committed two quick fouls.

Yeah. However, Rak is who he is. It is, apparently, not in his DNA, and, there isn't a movie out there, etc. that's going to light that fire within or unleash the wrath he just doesn't possess. Interesting comment about your observation and how he is seemingly conflicted...maybe, deep down, at his core, he is...and, really wants nothing to do with basketball...but it's his ticket to a free and excellent education. Reading Donna's piece in the PS a couple of week's back, I thought, imo, really shed some light...

Implying that BMK has regressed indicates that he's regressed from something.

IMO he reached his ceiling since he arrived here...a long, skinny, lanky big guy that doesn't have the strength to bang in the post, but can snatch some boards and block some shots here and there.

I for one think he's been remarkably consistent, albeit with a limited game.

Agree with your thoughts on Rak's play. The tats n hawks have nothing to do with being/looking tough. It's all about "swaggin". Old heads might not understand. :noidea:

Agree with your thoughts on Rak's play. The tats n hawks have nothing to do with being/looking tough. It's all about "swaggin". Old heads might not understand.:noidea:

get off my lawn.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom