Kind of Curious -JB and Recruiting.. | Syracusefan.com

Kind of Curious -JB and Recruiting..

sdorange

Walk On
I wonder how JB and co. are handling the successor question while visiting recruits? If the presumption is he's done after Buddy, just curious on what the response is. Although, I'm sure most of these kids think their gone in 1-2 years to the league

Hes probably saying he will coach a year or two after Buddy leaves. Not an issue for a couple more years.

I think we will have a late flurry of big time recruits who expect to be 1 and dones on JBs last teams around the time Buddy is a senior.

JB looks good I think hes in as good shape as hes been in the last decade hes not aging from what we can see I'm not worried about him being up to the job for the next 5-6 years. My dad is going to be 72 soon and has had health issues but looks better right now than he has in 7-8 years. I think once Buddy has been off the team for a year or two he will know its time.

I am a little worried about JB influencing the search for is replacement. For one to get someone good we likely have to pay them more than we pay JB. I go outside the program and just give the keys to the best coaches in the SEC, AAC, and NBE if Hop says no. If Jay Wright says no offer the job to Penny. If Penny says no offer it to Ed Cooley. Don't get cute don't look for the next big thing we are a better job than any program in those leagues other than UK. If you end up with Bruce Pearl thats fine he can win here.

I wonder how JB and co. are handling the successor question while visiting recruits? If the presumption is he's done after Buddy, just curious on what the response is. Although, I'm sure most of these kids think their gone in 1-2 years to the league

How does K handle that?
How about Leonard Hamilton?
Larrañaga?

JB is hardly the only coach in the ACC who isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

Why is this supposedly an exclusively JB/Syracuse issue?
Why is it an issue at all?

Answer: it isn’t.

Same as k millions of other coaches have left for other jobs and. Jb is still there shouldn't be a factor.

How does K handle that?
Larrañaga?

If I could interject, I'd say it wouldn't be had SU not come out publicly after the sanctions and say JB will coach for 3 more years. That's what ultimately brought all the attention to that matter, so a lot of it was SU's own doing. JB is several years older than K and the others you've mentioned, but again, I think the larger reason is due to the national attention the whole 3 year thing drew and that Hop would replace him. I don't think there is any or has been this type of chatter with the others, and no such "line in the sand" for lack of a better word in that regard when it comes to them.

How does K handle that?
Larrañaga?

I was simply asking a question about the team I am a fan of since early 70's. I don't care about K or Larranaga, I don't care about the Hopkins saga prior, hell I don't care about scumbug opposing coaches using it to negatively recruit about it. I was simply curious how this is addressed in recruits living rooms when/if asked.
Geesh, no wonder the most solid posters rarely, if ever post here anymore.

How does K handle that?
Larrañaga?

K is in a different world. A comparison with him is moot.
Hamilton and Larranaga aren't signing 5-star kids who have better options, and i don't think either of them did an okey-doke with a retirement date. I think that long-time, planned handover of the keys to Hopkins is the only reason why this age thing is an issue. If i were a recruit or parent of a recruit, I would be aware of that, or would have been made aware of that by opposing recruiters. It's not a matter of fact, it's about the sowing of a bit of doubt, and that doubt is one of the items on a recruit's checklist of factors. I would think, anyway.

I would think that’s going to become a bigger question each year that goes by.

Seems like there are only a couple of ways to address

1. Ignore it and hope it doesn’t impact recruiting too badly.
2. Appoint a successor; another coach in waiting.
3. Have JB retire after this year or next.
4. Sign JB to a long term extension and then have him retire earlier than the end of the extended term.

4. Sign JB to a long term extension and then have him retire earlier than the end of the extended term.
1. Eewww. I hope we don't do that.
2. Eewww. I wonder if the AD has got a realistic shortlist of candidates that don't include our own bench. Wouldn't a HCIW have to be from our own staff? Couldn't have such a deal with an outsider unless maybe he didn't come from currently coaching a college program, right?
3. No comment! But, i really can't see him leaving Buddy.
4. As much as i dislike deception, this would be in the best interests of the program, no? Wouldn't even have to have him actually sign anything. Coaches signing contracts is never a public thing. A press release that says he's under contract until 202x is the tool to beat the 'uncertainty,' and then JB just retires whenever. Eeewww.

It is good that JB isn't 'showing his age' on the sidelines. I'm almost of the mind that our 'bubble rep' and not being a fixture in the top 25 for so long is more important than JB being 70+.

What do all these schools who are 2 bad seasons away from firing their coach, or 2 great seasons away from their coach leaving for somewhere better , tell their recruits?

There’s no real stability beyond the next season or two at almost every school. Syracuse and Boeheim have been an enormous anomaly in that regard.

if he can't get most victories dammit he can certainly get oldest !

link: Oldest College Basketball Coaches in Division 1 Men's Basketball

home visits will soon be limited to those with ramp access.

Last edited:
Hes probably saying he will coach a year or two after Buddy leaves. Not an issue for a couple more years.

I think we will have a late flurry of big time recruits who expect to be 1 and dones on JBs last teams around the time Buddy is a senior.

JB looks good I think hes in as good shape as hes been in the last decade hes not aging from what we can see I'm not worried about him being up to the job for the next 5-6 years. My dad is going to be 72 soon and has had health issues but looks better right now than he has in 7-8 years. I think once Buddy has been off the team for a year or two he will know its time.

I am a little worried about JB influencing the search for is replacement. For one to get someone good we likely have to pay them more than we pay JB. I go outside the program and just give the keys to the best coaches in the SEC, AAC, and NBE if Hop says no. If Jay Wright says no offer the job to Penny. If Penny says no offer it to Ed Cooley. Don't get cute don't look for the next big thing we are a better job than any program in those leagues other than UK. If you end up with Bruce Pearl thats fine he can win here.
We can't get one and dones now. We won't be able to get them in 2 or 3 years.

What do all these schools who are 2 bad seasons away from firing their coach, or 2 great seasons away from their coach leaving for somewhere better , tell their recruits?

There’s no real stability beyond the next season or two at almost every school. Syracuse and Boeheim have been an enormous anomaly in that regard.

That is true, but no one takes the scholarship expecting the coach to be fired or leave for Greener pastures.

The difference with JB is that if you believe the negative recruiting he will 100% be gone after 2022.

This time is different then our first trip down this road where the school initially established a firm end of the road for him, but hedged it by having Hop on deck to take over. Many of our recruits had great relationships with Hop and would have been happy to stay and play for him. While we may also have lost recruits who wanted to play for JB, not Hop, the school was willing to take that risk.

This time there hasn’t been an announcement, but the smart money all thinks that Buddy’s graduation will also mark JBs retirement. Guys in the high school class of 2018 would be unaffected. Guys in 2019 who don’t expect to stay a full four years, also unaffected. Four year players would have to decide if it bothers them knowing they are likely (if they believe the smart money) to have a different and unknown coach for their senior year. Each passing year the breakpoint moves earlier in a recruits career.

Not all recruits will be swayed, but I’m sure some are.

Last edited:
We can't get one and dones now. We won't be able to get them in 2 or 3 years.

Might have something to do with freshmen not expecting our underclassmen who play 40 mins a night to leave early like this entire board does. We've got them before and we will get them again. Especially considering how our fanbase likes to push guys out the door. If Jalen played a little better in November he'd get the usual NBA lottery crap even though he'll be a DNP most nights rest of the way.

Might have something to do with freshmen not expecting our underclassmen who play 40 mins a night to leave early like this entire board does. We've got them before and we will get them again. Especially considering how our fanbase likes to push guys out the door. If Jalen played a little better in November he'd get the usual NBA lottery crap even though he'll be a DNP most nights rest of the way.
lol Carey would get the NBA lottery crap? From who? No one and done isn't going to come here because of the guys in front of him on this roster.

lol Carey would get the NBA lottery crap? From who? No one and done isn't going to come here because of the guys in front of him on this roster.

Yeah who knows I don't see a lot of 2/3 minutes after Elijah/Tyus/Oshae.

Not sure why people place so much importance on Coach being here for Buddy's senior year. Life doesn't always work out like that.

As far as recruiting goes, it doesn't matter what we middle-aged schlubs think, or Boeheim himself thinks; the perspective of the recruits themselves is what matters.

it's a legit concern. oldest coach out there. not just will he be around but how much energy does he invest .

How does K handle that?
Larrañaga?

JB
is hardly the only coach in the ACC who isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

It's a legitimate question.

Which of these things is not like the other?

Three have never publicly announced a "retire before" date. One did.

If I were a recruit's parent, I'd be asking the question.

There is probably more certainty that Jimmy will stay as long as Buddy is here than there is with any other coach over the next three years.

This is a total non-issue for right now.

It's a legitimate question.

Which of these things is not like the other?

Three have never publicly announced a "retire before" date. One did.

If I were a recruit's parent, I'd be asking the question.

That date came, and went.

Just like the Mayan Apocalypse - are recruits families discussing that?
It's just as relevant.
:rolleyes:

Recruit's parent - "Coach Boeheim, do you have any plans to retire any time soon?"
JB - "No. I don't."
/ fin.

Feel free to cut and paste this for future reference.

Based on how other high profile coaches handled the situation:
1. Publicly keep saying I have lots of energy and motivation. I expect to do this for a long time.
2. When you want to step down, you do it suddenly with no tip off it's coming. That way there is minimal affect on recruiting. Especially if an on staff assistant is promoted.

The worst thing you can do to recruiting is announce a future end date in advance.

meet and greet with the coach

tumblr_mtvalxb3a41rcoly3o1_500.gif

ok i'm sure age in no way influences young players. i remember when i was 18. plastics !