Kind of OT But Not Completely | Syracusefan.com

Kind of OT But Not Completely

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
With all the talk of the strong ties between the Syracuse football team and the 10th Mountain Division, I happened across a documentary called The Last Ridge, that cover the exploits of the 10th in WWII, when they were deployed for the first time to the mountains of Italy. It focuses on a situation where the Germans held high ground on a 2000 foot cliff and had repulsed a number of attacks from the Allies before the 10th came and got the job done.

Nice story for fans of the 10th. It is being played on PBS stations throughout the country right now. If you click on the Where to watch blue button in the link, you should be able to find the next couple of times it will be shown in your area.

The Last Ridge

Go 10th! Go Cuse! War Damn Otto!

I will be interested to see that. My mom grew up in Mass and had a neighbor whose son was in the 10th and was KIA in Italy. My grandfather helped recruit him and he felt guilty about it for his entire life, despite of course the obvious need to confront the Nazis.

There was a book years ago about the 10th and the battle in Italy. Unit was formed as an answer to German ski troops and original cadre came from ski instructors and mountain climbers. Problem was where to find troops and eventually, believe it or not, a a unit of mule skinners from the southwest were transferred over. None had ever skied before and most had probably never even seen snow. Have been trying to find the book for some time and think it's out of print. Would appreciate it if anyone has any info.

I've been trying to find out where exactly "the ridge" was because I am absolutely in love with the Dolomites and Northern Italy (I was born in Vicenza)

As an aside, in the center of the town of Pecshiera del Garda, there is a monument to the Italian soldiers of "The Great War". Around the periphery on the bottom of the monument was a later addition to the monument. It was names and pictures of Nazi sympathizers and Facists with the Italian inscribed. "Queste persone sono morte per noi"

Man, nothing for the Denver area listed? And Colorado is where they started, What

Anyone watch Restrpo? I believe it came out about 2 years ago. It's about a unit stationed in Italy, and their deployment in afgan. If you ever wanted to know what soldiers went, and go through in that hole, this will give you an idea.

There was a book years ago about the 10th and the battle in Italy. Unit was formed as an answer to German ski troops and original cadre came from ski instructors and mountain climbers. Problem was where to find troops and eventually, believe it or not, a a unit of mule skinners from the southwest were transferred over. None had ever skied before and most had probably never even seen snow. Have been trying to find the book for some time and think it's out of print. Would appreciate it if anyone has any info.

Is this it? I suspect the book drove production of the documentary.

Link

Review

There are lots of books on the 10th. Some are listed below...

Link

The books here all also look like good reads.

Good luck...

Anyone watch Restrpo? I believe it came out about 2 years ago. It's about a unit stationed in Italy, and their deployment in afgan. If you ever wanted to know what soldiers went, and go through in that **** hole, this will give you an idea.
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. There's a reason it was up for an Emmy or whatever. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. There's a reason it was up for an Emmy or whatever. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.

I haven't seen it yet but my Army son ( 1 tour each in Iraq + Afghanistan, Sapper, Combat Engineer, Bronze Star) saw it and said he was very emotional watching it.

I believe Netflix has it. Atleast they did when I watched it.

Is this it? I suspect the book drove production of the documentary.

Link

Review

There are lots of books on the 10th. Some are listed below...

Link

The books here all also look like good reads.

Good luck...

No, the "Last Ridge was published 2008, but it's possible its appendix may list the earlier book. Thanks anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom