Kinda OT: ESPN pulls Vitale from UNC-Duke game | Syracusefan.com

Kinda OT: ESPN pulls Vitale from UNC-Duke game

It IS sad! He helped publicize that intense rivalry to the "world" (i.e., small cohort of college basketball fanatics). At some point, things end, like Jay Leno and Dave Letterman. I probably feel this more compassionately because I, too, am looking at the end of my career, something I have loved doing. It's hard being put out to pasture, even if you do it to your own self! And I am thinking Dickie V didn't volunteer to stop calling the Duke/Carolina game.

Vitale has been getting mostly B level/C level games this year.
He seems to be getting the B+ and B level games. I don't think they have given him C level games like they have done to Bobby Knight (ouch).

He seems to be getting the B+ and B level games. I don't think they have given him C level games like they have done to Bobby Knight (ouch).
I don't know... Kentucky/South Carolina on Saturday is pretty rough given the slate ESPN had.

Dick Vitale is a voice from a bygone era.
His schtick generally doesn't work any more.
He may well be under contract...and is being phased out.

If indeed they pulled him (without it being his initiative), this is incredibly sad.

He's been broadcasting those games for nearly 40 years. Initially, it was his great enthusiasm (more than anything else) that made that game... and the ACC ... and college basketball ... into what they are today.

If they arbitrarily pulled him from it, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves. Why could they not let him do it one last time?

Last edited:
I love to make fun of Dickie V.

But its because I love Dickie V.

When the sanctions came down, I made a comment that JB has done more of the city of Syracuse and the university than anyone in the history of both.

I can't say it with such conviction for Dickie V about doing the most in history, but the man has done incredible things for cancer (including for children) and the game of college basketball in almost the same context as what I said about JB.

To my knowledge he hasn't done anything to lose this gig. He should still be calling it.

If indeed they pulled him (without it being his initiative), this is incredibly sad.

He's been broadcasting those games for nearly 40 years. Initially, it was his great enthusiasm (more than anything else) that made that game... and the ACC ... and college basketball ... into what it is today.

If they arbitrarily pulled him from it, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves. Why could they not let him do it one last time?

Concur. 100%.

Unless he removed himself - shame on them.

Ditto what everyone else has said. The guy is a legend. Someone we all grew up with no matter our age. I will always tell the story of meeting he and his wife at a restaurant in South Beach. We ended up having a 20 minute conversation. Three days later I received a package in the mail which included a personalized autograph copy of his book, a personalized autographed photo for my nephew and a bunch of other stuff. He is 100% class. Hopefully it's not his health. That would be a shame.

Concur. 100%.

Unless he removed himself - shame on them.
Based on his tweet in he article I linked above, I don't think he removed himself.
upload_2015-2-16_17-34-30.png

Vitale is no longer the A team color commentator so this was obviously coming down the pipe.
Vitals has been calling A-/B+ games this year. He called Duke-Louisville, Louisville-UVA, Louisville-UNC x2, South Carolina v. Kentucky x2, Maryland v. Michigan State.
ESPN could have made UNC-Duke a 3 man booth like they have the last few years but they decided not too.

I am more mad ESPN pulled Musberger from good college football games. Dick Vitale was a class act when I had the honor of dining over breakfast with him but he isn't the same commentator as he was a decade ago. He is still getting great games just not the A games which are the good hands of Jay Bilas.

Vitale is no longer the A team color commentator so this was obviously coming down the pipe.
Vitals has been calling A-/B+ games this year. He called Duke-Louisville, Louisville-UVA, Louisville-UNC x2, South Carolina v. Kentucky x2, Maryland v. Michigan State.
ESPN could have made UNC-Duke a 3 man booth like they have the last few years but they decided not too.

I am more mad ESPN pulled Musberger from good college football games. Dick Vitale was a class act when I had the honor of dining over breakfast with him but he isn't the same commentator as he was a decade ago. He is still getting great games just not the A games which are the good hands of Jay Bilas.

No need to embarrass and pull him like they did though. Classless. He didn't become a worse commentator in the past week. Shouldn't have scheduled him if they weren't following through. Have some respect, basic common decency - don't pull him 2 days before the broadcast.

No need to embarrass and pull him like they did though. Classless. He didn't become a worse commentator in the past week. Shouldn't have scheduled him if they weren't following through. Have some respect, basic common decency - don't pull him 2 days before the broadcast.
I don't believe he was pulled 2 days before. The ESPN PR sent out a press release last week Vitale was calling SU-Louisville and now he is calling UT-UK game.

Wonder why the remaining media and Vitale himself seems surprised then? Something's weird.

As much as Dickie V could bug me when he called a game, he still brought his undying love and passion... I'd have liked to have seen him do this game and maybe say a fond farewell at the end of it... He did bring many accolades to the ACC with his grossly over the top love for both UNC and Duke, but I suppose I'm also a bit jaded because I care not for either of those two rivals... Alas, Dick Vitale did many great things to help bring awareness to cancer, and I do hope he might get one last hoorah with a Duke/UNC call...

I've grown to appreciate Dickie V, and while o totally get why people wouldn't like him, it doesn't make sense that they'd pull him now. He hasn't gotten appreciably "worse" than he has been for years now. Strange timing.

It will be really weird watching a Duke/UNC game without having Dukie V do the broadcast.

Ditto what everyone else has said. The guy is a legend. Someone we all grew up with no matter our age. I will always tell the story of meeting he and his wife at a restaurant in South Beach. We ended up having a 20 minute conversation. Three days later I received a package in the mail which included a personalized autograph copy of his book, a personalized autographed photo for my nephew and a bunch of other stuff. He is 100% class. Hopefully it's not his health. That would be a shame.
Dick Vitale is one of the nicest, classiest guys in TV sports.
But television has no standards.
Despicable (and even incompetent) people get hired.
And nice guys get phased or tossed out.
It's all about the $$$ and the whims of the people making the calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom