King's Court | Syracusefan.com

King's Court

AirForceOrange

Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-best-homecourt-advantages-college-basketball

STARTING FIVE

183.gif

Each week, I'll pick the top five players -- and three reserves -- to play for a high-profile coach. Disagree with my selections? Let me hear about it.

Syracuse's All-Jim Boeheim team

Starters
PG: Pearl Washington -- The master of "shake and bake" was a first-round pick in 1986
SG: Gerry McNamara -- Swished six 3-pointers in the first half of the 2003 title game
SF: Carmelo Anthony -- Help give Boeheim his only NCAA title in 2003; NBA All-Star
PF: Derrick Coleman -- First team All-American in 1990; had jersey retired in 2006
C: Roosevelt Bouie -- Four-year starter and one of Boeheim's first recruits; went 100-18

Bench
PG: Sherman Douglas -- "The General" set the all-time NCAA assists record in 1989
SG: Lawrence Moten -- Syracuse's all-time leading scorer with 2,334 career points
PF: John Wallace -- Second-team All-American led Cuse to the 1996 NCAA title game

PREDICTION TIME

Louisville 70, vs. Syracuse 59: The Orange were far from dominant in Big East road wins against South Florida (55-44) and Providence (72-66). So I don't expect them to beat the nation's No. 1 team at the KFC Yum! Center -- especially without James Southerland.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-best-homecourt-advantages-college-basketball

STARTING FIVE

183.gif

Each week, I'll pick the top five players -- and three reserves -- to play for a high-profile coach. Disagree with my selections? Let me hear about it.

Starters
PG: Pearl Washington -- The master of "shake and bake" was a first-round pick in 1986
SG: Gerry McNamara -- Swished six 3-pointers in the first half of the 2003 title game
SF: Carmelo Anthony -- Help give Boeheim his only NCAA title in 2003; NBA All-Star
PF: Derrick Coleman -- First team All-American in 1990; had jersey retired in 2006
C: Roosevelt Bouie -- Four-year starter and one of Boeheim's first recruits; went 100-18

Bench
PG: Sherman Douglas -- "The General" set the all-time NCAA assists record in 1989
SG: Lawrence Moten -- Syracuse's all-time leading scorer with 2,334 career points
PF: John Wallace -- Second-team All-American led Cuse to the 1996 NCAA title game

PREDICTION TIME

Louisville 70, vs. Syracuse 59: The Orange were far from dominant in Big East road wins against South Florida (55-44) and Providence (72-66). So I don't expect them to beat the nation's No. 1 team at the KFC Yum! Center -- especially without James Southerland.
Boeheim gets 1 vote in best xs os coach discussion? I mean buzz Williams got 5 votes...

Pg -Sherm
2g - Moten
Sf - Melo
Pf - Coleman
C - Thomas

Bench
F - Wallace
F -Owens
C - Seikaly
G - Autry
G - Hart

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pg -Sherm
2g - Moten
Sf - Melo
Pf - Coleman
C - Thomas

Bench
F - Wallace
F -Owens
C - Seikaly
G - Autry
G - Hart

Sherm
Bing
Melo
DC
Bouie

PG- The General
SG - Moten
SF - Melo
PF - DC
C - Rony

Tough to leave Pearl or Billy Owens out of the starting lineup. But Pearl was a PG at SU and Sherm was better. Could play Billy at shooting guard but that killed him in the NBA when coaches tried to slot him in there. Agree with JDub as the last of the 3 bench selections. Tough to leave Gmac off as the best clutch shooter during JB's career. And the list could go on. Let's Go Orange!

Bing played with JB but not for JB.

Ah didnt see the JB connection thing.

Carry on!

Bouie BTW was 5x the player that Thomas was.

Ah didnt see the JB connection thing.

Carry on!

Bouie BTW was 5x the player that Thomas was.
That may be true but Etan is my personal favorite Orangeman.

Pg -Sherm
2g - Moten
Sf - Melo
Pf - Coleman
C - Thomas

Bench
F - Wallace
F -Owens
C - Seikaly
G - Autry
G - Hart

No Pearl in a ten-man list?

Etan is one of my all-time favorites, but I'd write the ESPN guy's starting frontcourt in stone. Room for a little argument in the bench and among the guards, though it'd be really difficult to argue that McNamara should be placed above any four (or six) of them.

Rosie
Coleman
Anthony
Moten
Sherm

Seikaly
Wallace
Owens
Addison (if we're not allowed to call him a guard, where he played sometimes, I'd be happy with Autry)
Pearl

No Pearl in a ten-man list?

Etan is one of my all-time favorites, but I'd write the ESPN guy's starting frontcourt in stone. Room for a little argument in the bench and among the guards, though it'd be really difficult to argue that McNamara should be placed above any four (or six) of them.

Rosie
Coleman
Anthony
Moten
Sherm

Seikaly
Wallace
Owens
Addison (if we're not allowed to call him a guard, where he played sometimes, I'd be happy with Autry)
Pearl
Yeah. Pearl belongs. I whiffed on that.

Yeah. Pearl belongs. I whiffed on that.

Thought that might be an oversight - out of all the Syracuse "legends" who get knocked for one reason or another, I've never met anyone who's not crazy about Pearl.

PG Sherm all time leader in assists, only PG to lead the team beyond the Sweet 16 twice
SG Moten all time leading scorer
SF Melo nothing more needs to be said
PF DC all time leading rebounder, also one of the few to make it past S16 two times
C Seikaly all time leading scorer among centers and top 15 all time all positions; 2nd all time leading rebounder

I think you have to put Moten in, but he sticks out here because of his lack of post season success - the team missed the tourney his sophomore year due to NCAA sanctions, and suffered very tough overtime losses every other year (especially the final game of his career, the infamous "time out" game vs. Arkansas)

The reserves are very tough, especially if we follow King's model and only go 8 deep. Pearl is a lock, I think. Then you have to choose from among three more great Syracuse forwards for the last two spots - Wallace and Owens have gotten a lot of love in this thread, but no mention yet for Hakim Warrick. Hak is one of only three men to get 2000 points and 1000 boards in his career, a consensus first team All American pick, two time first team all Big East, and Big East player of the year.

Owens would have been another in the 2000/1000 club had he stayed and was arguably the most talented forward that JB ever had. But I am going to go with Wallace and Hak as my final two picks, the tie breaker being Final Four participation.

PG Sherm all time leader in assists, only PG to lead the team beyond the Sweet 16 twice
SG Moten all time leading scorer
SF Melo nothing more needs to be said
PF DC all time leading rebounder, also one of the few to make it past S16 two times
C Seikaly all time leading scorer among centers and top 15 all time all positions; 2nd all time leading rebounder

I think you have to put Moten in, but he sticks out here because of his lack of post season success - the team missed the tourney his sophomore year due to NCAA sanctions, and suffered very tough overtime losses every other year (especially the final game of his career, the infamous "time out" game vs. Arkansas)

The reserves are very tough, especially if we follow King's model and only go 8 deep. Pearl is a lock, I think. Then you have to choose from among three more great Syracuse forwards for the last two spots - Wallace and Owens have gotten a lot of love in this thread, but no mention yet for Hakim Warrick. Hak is one of only three men to get 2000 points and 1000 boards in his career, a consensus first team All American pick, two time first team all Big East, and Big East player of the year.

Owens would have been another in the 2000/1000 club had he stayed and was arguably the most talented forward that JB ever had. But I am going to go with Wallace and Hak as my final two picks, the tie breaker being Final Four participation.

A better way to do this is just to pick the 5 best players regardless of position. IMO they would be

Pearl
Sherm
Melo
DC
Owens

STARTING FIVE

183.gif

Starters

Bench

PREDICTION TIME

Billy Owens is, I think, greatly underappreciated by many SU fans. He was a great scorer, a great rebounder, a fine defensive player and one of the best passing forwards we have ever had. If he played his senior year, he would have finished 2nd or 1st all time in scoring at Syracuse, 2nd in rebounds and around 8th in assists (in 3 years he ended up 12th, 9th and 14th respectively in these categories).

PG: Douglas
SG: Moten
SF: Anthony
PF: Owens
C: Coleman

PG: Washington
F: Wallace
C: Seikaly