Knock the zone, knock the out of bounds plays | Syracusefan.com

Knock the zone, knock the out of bounds plays

Cuse_NYC

Starter
The one constant over the years that really needs to change is the stall ball when leading. We seem to turn more like 7pt leads with a min or so to go, to holding on to dear life for a 1 pt win… or a loss, like yest. The Buddy iso for like 5 possessions in a row doesn’t get it done.

The one constant over the years that really needs to change is the stall ball when leading. We seem to turn more like 7pt leads with a min or so to go, to holding on to dear life for a 1 pt win… or a loss, like yest. The Buddy iso for like 5 possessions in a row doesn’t get it done.
We never stall balled yesterday.

Yeah we did. There were numerous possessions at the end where we cleared and went iso waiting for the clock to run down.
Read the play by play. We had a 10 point lead with 2:29 left. We never got into stall ball after that because Miami pressured. In the next 4 possessions we had 3 turnovers. Stall ball had nothing to do with those turnovers.

Stall ball tends to take large leads and render them small leads that hold up.. that’s pretty much been proven statistically.. this teams problem is it can’t dribble and can’t pass .. stall ball is about the 45th problem on the list

For inbounding. Is it just me or do our guys just stand around instead of shaking their defenders to get open? I watch Girard (and others) and scream at the TV "Move!"

For inbounding. Is it just me or do our guys just stand around instead of shaking their defenders to get open? I watch Girard (and others) and scream at the TV "Move!"
I yelled "somebody move!" at the TV multiple times in the last 90 seconds on Saturday, just as I did in many other games this season. This team did more standing around while the guy with the ball was in trouble than any team I've seen at the HIGH SCHOOL level.

Read the play by play. We had a 10 point lead with 2:29 left. We never got into stall ball after that because Miami pressured. In the next 4 possessions we had 3 turnovers. Stall ball had nothing to do with those turnovers.
I don't have to read the play by play. I watched the game and called it in real time. It was about 3 possessions before they pressed us.

I
The stall was not the reason we lost. period.
It contributed. We got horrible shots and went scoreless on 3 consseceutive possessions while also giving up quick scores. I agree that if we have adequate ball handling and inbounding it doesn't matter. But it can also be argued that if we run real offense and score, we're too far ahead for their press to matter.

I
It contributed. We got horrible shots and went scoreless on 3 consseceutive possessions while also giving up quick scores. I agree that if we have adequate ball handling and inbounding it doesn't matter. But it can also be argued that if we run real offense and score, we're too far ahead for their press to matter.
It doesn’t make much sense to me. At the under 4 timeout we were up 6 and with 2:29 to go we were up 10. We never got in the stall after that because we kept turning it over on 3 of the next 4 possessions. If we did then we win.

Last edited:
I don't have to read the play by play. I watched the game and called it in real time. It was about 3 possessions before they pressed us.
Exactly man. With u 100%

It doesn’t make much sense to me. At the under 4 timeout we were up 6 and with 2:29 to go we were up 10. We never got in the stall after that because we kept turning it over on 3 of the next 4 possessions. If we did then we win.
Ok, I had to look back at the play by play. I see your point. We didn't miss as many shots as I was remembering but I think it still hurt us. You can see that we were using 25-30 sec per possession at least as early as the 5 minute mark. I don't think we were full stall by then, but you can see that Miami was scoring quicker than us when they did score. We were certainly playing more iso and when you see how much time came off the clock on each possession, you know there was a lot of standing around. Anyone that has played basketball can attest to how difficult it is to go from standing around to playing with intensity/urgency. I think we saw that on the defensive end the last few minutes.

As I said earlier, it's not THE reason we lost. I think it contributed.

I would not have had a problem with running the clock a bit in possessions up 10 with a minute. As pointed out, when you can't get the ball past half court, it's hard to do that. The main problem I have though with the way we run the clock is that they wait until about 8 seconds left on the shot clock and then end up taking a half-assed prayer. It's been like this for a while. I'd wait for more like 15 seconds so a real offense can materialize.

This is incredible!

Thank god I missed my first second half of the season. I laughed seeing the play by play post game though. What a joke of a finish. Takes legit work to pull that off.

JB says in his PP's over and over "we can't handle inside presence " and "we can't handle pressure D". well it's a good thing we won't face either of those ever !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom