Kudos to Spanarkel | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to Spanarkel

VaBeachOrFan

2nd String
Over the years I've grown so tired of color commentators belaboring "ways to beat The Zone" ad nauseam, making Syracuse appear to be the perennial villain. Imagine my relief when Jim Spanarkel spent quality time showing how JB's Zone is not your standard 2-3, and how it morphs from play to play to fit the circumstances. The only other color man to laud JB's work like that was Bobby Knight in his color days. Good on them both.:):)-VBOF

I have to say, he was mostly unbearable during the first 4, like he had a huge ASU axe to grind for some reason. Maybe his nephew plays at ASU or something. It was real bad.

But the last 2 games he has been great. Unbiased, and good insights. Would recommend, and would watch those games again :)

Over the years I've grown so tired of color commentators belaboring "ways to beat The Zone" ad nauseam, making Syracuse appear to be the perennial villain. Imagine my relief when Jim Spanarkel spent quality time showing how JB's Zone is not your standard 2-3, and how it morphs from play to play to fit the circumstances. The only other color man to laud JB's work like that was Bobby Knight in his color days. Good on them both.:):)-VBOF

Jay Bilas

Do you recall how often Knight brought up the “shot fake” as the only way to defeat any and all defenses

Do you recall how often Knight brought up the “shot fake” as the only way to defeat any and all defenses

He did it to us in 87 with the Daryl Thomas low post shot fake right before you know who's shot.

Good to know Bobby Knight made a cogent point while doing color commentary.
Because otherwise he was THE most ill-prepared and uninformative color guy ever...or at least the worst color guy shorter than John Thompson.
If one of Knight's players was as unprepared for a game as Knight was for TV the player would be kicked off the team.
Knight was hired for his name and that's all he gave viewers.

And, yes, Spanarkel is very good.
Not flashy, no hollering.
Just simple, straightforward, useful analysis.

I’m sorry but, Spanarkel is a dope and as far as I’m concerned he can go to OttointheGrotto’s big party down below.

Good to know Bobby Knight made a cogent point while doing color commentary.
Because otherwise he was THE most ill-prepared and uninformative color guy ever...or at least the worst color guy shorter than John Thompson.
If one of Knight's players was as unprepared for a game as Knight was for TV the player would be kicked off the team.
Knight was hired for his name and that's all he gave viewers.

And, yes, Spanarkel is very good.
Not flashy, no hollering.
Just simple, straightforward, useful analysis.

I thought Bobby Knight was good at first, even when he winged it. His age got too him very quickly those last few years.

I thought Bobby Knight was good at first, even when he winged it. His age got too him very quickly those last few years.
Yes, need to distinguish the early Bobby Knight color, which was quite informative, from the later Knight fade to black.-VBOF

He did it to us in 87 with the Daryl Thomas low post shot fake right before you know who's shot.
and with 27 uncalled moving screens (I counted them).

eh he was ok yesterday but it's still amateur hour w him for the most part - I do like Eagle as a PbP guy tho