Kudos to this team tonight... | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to this team tonight...

Deano

All American
Lose your best player and other guys stepped and came away with a W. Frank was HUGE (cannot believe I'm saying that) and also Oshae B too. Matty Moyer had the best game of his year so far. Hopefully TB is okay and will be ready Monday for Maryland cause we are sure as hell going to need him. Let's hope the centers can stay out of foul trouble, although 3 of PC fouls were BS. Geno still a little rusty just got to be patient with him. MD played okay tonight for the time given, but JB went with MM more tonight as he was having a really good game. Proud of the boys and let's knock off Maryland Monday night.

Kodos! Great win!
image.jpg

Frank's defense before the half was terrible. I want badly for him to have a great year but that sequence allowing Toledo to score multiple buckets before half was bad optics.

SO happy to see MM have a good game! I am so glad that Boeheim kept him in after he got those 3 points, because he was set to come out. Coach was rewarded because Moyer did well and his confidence has to be soaring. This could not have come at a better time for Matt, as the previous thread will attest. This year we need every player on this team to function at the top of their game, and Matt produced tonight.

Oshae had such a good game! I sat next to a “kid” (Andrew) who is like a son to me. He’s first year Fordham law. He loves SU sports and is very sports smart. He hasn’t had a chance to watch the team all year, and he was blown away by our defense. At the very beginning of the game, he criticized Oshae and I told him, “Just you wait! He is good.” And solely because I said that, Oshae was fabulous.

I don’t know what happened to Chewy. I will leave that to brighter minds. I am wondering if he was so pumped by his last game, that he became over eager and made mistakes.

I wonder if Battle’s injury wasn’t in part due to his trying to get his game going. I think he was frustrated and did something stupid. The injury looked bad. Hopefully, just muscle and not some fracture in his spine. (Yes, I’m a nervous soul about these things.) That fall was almost Wes Johnson and Kris Joseph worthy. :(

So much fun to sit next to Andrew again! He was with me at the first Duke game because my daughter had made plans to go to a concert long before she knew the schedule. She is a silly girl. Andrew literally was holding me up by the end of the game. He is good luck for our team!

Go Cuse!

This team has far exceeded my expectations and I'm delighted to say it.

They've negotiated this first chapter of the season -- one of many chapters -- about as well as could have been expected.

Random takeaways over five games:

The importance of chemistry. How improved defense can make up for a less-proficient offense, especially when that defense creates offense.

Frank Howard! Oshae! Slimvak!

Well, we knew what we had in Battle. Let's hope he's OK.

Next chapter unfolds over the next few weeks. We'll see.