Lack of Shooting Around the Country | Syracusefan.com

Lack of Shooting Around the Country

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
This, more than anything, is a huge deal. There are just not many teams that have two-three options from three-point range that are consistent.

I have watched a lot of college basketball this year and the lack of shooting ability by even the elite teams is staggering. When certain teams are hot (Michigan) they're very good - but when they aren't, they aren't very good.

This bodes well for us, in my opinion. If we can rebound out of our zone (and I think Southerland will be a key here), we can win six straight in March/April - I have no doubt.

SU certainly has been bad this season, but better the last handful of games. There are no Austin Rivers or GMacs on this team, so the key is being squared up and set before you attempt the 3pt. This is why CJ has been so much better this season (18% higher on more shot attempts). The rest of the team should learn from CJ. Most of the misses from MCW, JS, BT, and TC are because they are moving when they are shoot the ball.

Miami and Michigan have shot the ball well when I have watched them.

Southerland has to draw focus from the opposing defense even when he isn't shooting well. They simply can't afford to leave him open because he has the potential to heat up a la the second half yesterday when he drilled a couple of threes in a row. That stretches the defense and opens lanes for the guards / CJ to drive.

WITH Southerland, I think we're an OK three point shooting team [even if teams overplay JS to try to scheme him out of the game]. Triche--his recent 0-10 from trifecta notwithstanding--is a reasonable complimentary shooter. Ditto MCW and CJ. Cooney can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn unfortunately, but the fact remains that we have some of the raw materials needed [percentages notwithstanding] to be a dangerous team from three.

Hoping that Triche / MCW in particular continue to get better statistically from three over this last third of the season. If they do, that will go a long way toward facilitating a postseason run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom