LaMelo Ball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LaMelo Ball

What we were saying back in September 2018.

Not many of us (or none of us) were saying anything overly positive about the kid, but there was one hot take that was so bad, it stuck in my memory over 2 years later. A quick search for "Lavar" and I was able to find the thread relatively easily.

One poster said "I have been around basketball my whole life and played at a high level NAIA school that is now division II NCAA and have coached varsity high school ball. I can confidently say that neither of the younger two BALL boys could have even been stars on my college team. If Popa thinks they are NBA material he is friggin high."

My response was "The youngest is pretty talented but played in a trash basketball system that won't work at next level. He will have to adjust back to a regular game. But to say that there is no way he would be good in the NAIA, is over the top. You went full Gottlieb. You know your stuff but you let your biases say something a little too extreme"

Their response was " I’ve watched his films. He would not be the best player on many D III teams."
It wasn't me.

E69A5AA9-E4E9-4839-9CD4-E44A17986041.jpeg

It does seem that Lavar Ball has taken a bit more of a backseat now then he did when Lonzo was starting out -- or perhaps less people care about Lavar now.

But assuming Lavar is less prominent now, it will probably help Lamelo's Career.

Not many of us (or none of us) were saying anything overly positive about the kid, but there was one hot take that was so bad, it stuck in my memory over 2 years later. A quick search for "Lavar" and I was able to find the thread relatively easily.

One poster said "I have been around basketball my whole life and played at a high level NAIA school that is now division II NCAA and have coached varsity high school ball. I can confidently say that neither of the younger two BALL boys could have even been stars on my college team. If Popa thinks they are NBA material he is friggin high."

My response was "The youngest is pretty talented but played in a trash basketball system that won't work at next level. He will have to adjust back to a regular game. But to say that there is no way he would be good in the NAIA, is over the top. You went full Gottlieb. You know your stuff but you let your biases say something a little too extreme"

Their response was " I’ve watched his films. He would not be the best player on many D III teams."
Had to go look up that person. No idea who that is.

That was me.

Nothing like pulling up posts from 3 years ago and saying SEE SEE, you were wrong!

I love the people who do that as much as the half decade old H0T Takes. And the best part is that it’s been dug up more than once.

Last edited:
Nothing like pulling up posts from 3 years ago and saying SEE SEE, you were wrong!

I love the people who do that as much as the half decade old H0T Takes. And the best part is that it’s been dug up more than once.

You know what I love. People who call out people for calling out people.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom