Laray Smith Question | Syracusefan.com

Laray Smith Question

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
He was mentioned in the BTN piece on Indiana this week.

Apparently he will play this year and is expected to contribute.

Why did we lose him to IU?

what was the story?

Were we too stacked at RB?

Track, never wanted to come here and coaches left is my understanding but I could be wrong

The kid was holding out for a better offer from a track school. The coaches leaving certainly did not help the situation. IU was right place right time IMO.

What others have said. The track aspect of things coupled with the staff overhaul.

Is this a serious question? We lost him because our entire coaching staff bailed including the 4 most important. the head coach, the OC, the running backs coach and John anselmo.

In other news Augustus Edwards has been tearing up miami's preseason camp to.

Is this a serious question? We lost him because our entire coaching staff bailed including the 4 most important. the head coach, the OC, the running backs coach and John anselmo.

Yup pretty much spot on. Losing those two were a big blow then and its looming even larger now that we are struggling to nail down any of our top end RB recruits for this season. Having Edwards redshirting this year for us would have been great but at least we wont have to face him to often based on the ACC divisions. From a recruiting standpoint those two losses are still looming large.

Yup pretty much spot on. Losing those two were a big blow then and its looming even larger now that we are struggling to nail down any of our top end RB recruits for this season. Having Edwards redshirting this year for us would have been great but at least we wont have to face him to often based on the ACC divisions. From a recruiting standpoint those two losses are still looming large.

To plan for replacing Smith next year I'd do everything I could to redshirt AAM this year.

To plan for replacing Smith next year I'd do everything I could to redshirt AAM this year.

I don't think thats likely to happen, though it would be nice. I dont think Syracue isn't really going to have a Jerome Smith type back if he leaves next season, Moore is more of a change of pace type of back, I dont see him being able to handle starters carries over the course of a full season. We aren't really recruiting a bigger back this year either with our top two targets being Witter and the kid from CT who has proto typical size. With Domer and Ollison being out and Witter in a no mans land, I suspect SU will be looking to offer a few fringe guys who aren't necessarily B level recruits but also didnt crack there top targets.

That's why the lack of offer to Rouse may come back and hurt SU a little bit. Would he be an impact player, don't know but he would have a least been a decent player to help fill the gap, especially if they don't sign a running back in February.

Actually it was a serious question.

Laray went to Indiana University - with no serious NYC contacts on the coaching staff as far as I know.

And none of the former SU coaches were hired by Kevin Wilson.

So, yeah, I was wondering what the impetus was for Laray to go to IU.

That's why the lack of offer to Rouse may come back and hurt SU a little bit. Would he be an impact player, don't know but he would have a least been a decent player to help fill the gap, especially if they don't sign a running back in February.
Just read a report from Boston that Rouse has been impressive in preseason camp for the Eagles...

Actually it was a serious question.

Laray went to Indiana University - with no serious NYC contacts on the coaching staff as far as I know.

And none of the former SU coaches were hired by Kevin Wilson.

So, yeah, I was wondering what the impetus was for Laray to go to IU.

Well then he picked Indiana for the track. If SU staff didn't fall apart he'd be at Syracuse.

I dont believe the prior staff felt he projected as a Div 1 running back based on his build and the amount of mileage he had on him from his highschool days.

Just read a report from Boston that Rouse has been impressive in preseason camp for the Eagles...

This is where waiting for Edwards and Smith hurt us a little. I understand why but this kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder when he plays against SU much like what HCSS says about our guys.

Well then he picked Indiana for the track. If SU staff didn't fall apart he'd be at Syracuse.

See above, if the staff stayed together he would have went to Syacuse.

This is where waiting for Edwards and Smith hurt us a little. I understand why but this kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder when he plays against SU much like what HCSS says about our guys.

Nothing against Rouse personally but were not talking Mike Hart here, he only had 1 BCS/Div1 offer and that was BC. It wasnt a matter of waiting for Smith and Edwards, the new staff knew both were likely gone, they simply didnt recruit Rouse.

I dont believe the prior staff felt he projected as a Div 1 running back based on his build and the amount of mileage he had on him from his highschool days.

Possible, he did carry the ball too much imo, especially with games out of hand.

Nothing against Rouse personally but were not talking Mike Hart here, he only had 1 BCS/Div1 offer and that was BC. It wasnt a matter of waiting for Smith and Edwards, the new staff knew both were likely gone, they simply didnt recruit Rouse.

I wasn't thinking Hart but just a solid player to get some reps. Also no grade problems. I guess time will tell us if this was a good move or not.

I wasn't thinking Hart but just a solid player to get some reps. Also no grade problems. I guess time will tell us if this was a good move or not.

Honestly I think both staffs had there eyes on higher rated prospects, with Smith and Edwards in the fold that was certainly the case. When Shafer took over he probably wasnt overly concerned about the RB position so he didnt feel the need to make a late grab at Rouse. Ironically if Rouse was a SR this year, I think he may have had a much better chance of an SU offer especially if Witter commits to Buttgers.

Honestly I think both staffs had there eyes on higher rated prospects, with Smith and Edwards in the fold that was certainly the case. When Shafer took over he probably wasnt overly concerned about the RB position so he didnt feel the need to make a late grab at Rouse. Ironically if Rouse was a SR this year, I think he may have had a much better chance of an SU offer especially if Witter commits to Buttgers.

Yep, timing is a huge factor no doubt.

I think George Morris and macfarlane will be just fine next couple of season... Won't stress this years class

I think George Morris and macfarlane will be just fine next couple of season... Won't stress this years class

ya we are fine with them 2 until they both get injured. we need to bring in 1, hopefully 2 running backs. it would have been nice to have one on ice this year as well. If Smith leaves this year, which is likely, we are really going to be rolling the dice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom