Last play for SU | Syracusefan.com

Last play for SU

SBU72

All Conference
Last night I thought coming out of their time out to run their last offensive play the line up should have been G, Cooney, Roberson, CM and Xmas. I think this really combines their best offensive lineup AND rebounding. Having Joseph/Peterson in at guard and G as point forward wasn't the best. Comments.

i have said this in multiple threads. that is out best lineup, IMO. and its not close...

All I know is out of a timeout we ended up with G taking a step back, falling back, hand in his face jumper with his foot on the line.

There is not a worse shot in the game than that.

What about an open Ron Patterson 3?

But seriously, that shot killed me.

Defense or not Patterson shouldn't see the court. At least Kaleb is capable of hitting some shots.

NovaOrange said:
Shouldn't see the court? I think the young man should play more.

He may be the worst offense guard I've seen that actually plays in a long long time. The only guy who I can say may be as bad as a shooter as him may be Louie McCrosky, and right now statistically Patterson makes Louie look like JJ Reddick.

He may be the worst offense guard I've seen that actually plays in a long long time. The only guy who I can say may be as bad as a shooter as him may be Louie McCrosky, and right now statistically Patterson makes Louie look like JJ Reddick.
It doesn't mean give up on him, he has the tools. He will be a much better player come March. I think this team /and the younger players will be peaking come tournament time.

NovaOrange said:
It doesn't mean give up on him, he has the tools. He will be a much better player come March. I think this team /and the younger players will be peaking come tournament time.

What tools say he is a good shooter? Because he hit a few in a game that didn't count and hit a few against Cornell? I'm not even being sarcastic but I'm willing to bet with the amount of opportunities he's has from outside in his career here that Rak could probably have a higher percentage from the outside.

He HAS to improve with his shooting because quite honestly it can't be any worse. And there is nothing wrong with benching a guy because he's shooting 25%. No, not from three but all field goals. TWENTY FIVE PERCENT and below 20 from three. I'm sorry, but if that isn't a call for the bench I don't know what is.

two3zone said:
What tools say he is a good shooter? Because he hit a few in a game that didn't count and hit a few against Cornell? I'm not even being sarcastic but I'm willing to bet with the amount of opportunities he's has from outside in his career here that Rak could probably have a higher percentage from the outside. He HAS to improve with his shooting because quite honestly it can't be any worse. And there is nothing wrong with benching a guy because he's shooting 25%. No, not from three but all field goals. TWENTY FIVE PERCENT and below 20 from three. I'm sorry, but if that isn't a call for the bench I don't know what is.
he air balled a shot just outside the lane! Think about that...

He will be fine give him a few more games. I think people throw in the towel way to early on young men in the program on these boards

NovaOrange said:
He will be fine give him a few more games. I think people throw in the towel way to early on young men in the program on these boards

He's taken 80 shots at 30% for his career, he's taken 52 threes at 21%. How long do you give him?

Patterson makes feeds that KJ only dreams about. It's a glimmer of smart basketball, something that is rare with this team so far this season.

Granted I can probably shoot better than he has ...so far.

Give him time.

Lets talk about the last 2 plays, both off of timeouts.

We get a step back fadeaway long 2 pointer by gbinije and we get just an ugly, awful lean in jumper by Rak where he luckily got fouled on.

Were those 2 of the worst possessions you can ever remember off of a JB timeout? I remember back in the day when a possession off of a timeout almost always gave us an easy look.

And also... as great as Rak is... his game is not that diverse. He can hit an occasional 15 footer and he is unstoppable on the low block. But his face to the basket game is still terrible. He is a huge liability if he gets the ball 6-7 feet outside of the basket.

I keep reading this thread title as "LET'S play for SU" and I keep saying, "Okay, I'm in! Let's do this thing!"

Patterson makes feeds that KJ only dreams about. It's a glimmer of smart basketball, something that is rare with this team so far this season.

Granted I can probably shoot better than he has ...so far.

Give him time.
I disagree. Joseph had a few very nice dimes last night. The change of pace on the break in the first half. And, the set-up of Rak for the 17-footer to end the first half.

As for Patterson--I keep hoping that one of his shots is actually going in, but I think his trips to the free throw line vs VT may have exposed him. Those shots just did not look good. I am very close to concluding he is just a very bad shooter.

And also... as great as Rak is... his game is not that diverse. He can hit an occasional 15 footer and he is unstoppable on the low block. But his face to the basket game is still terrible. He is a huge liability if he gets the ball 6-7 feet outside of the basket.
agreed he needs to catch the ball closer to the basket if he could consistently hit that 15 footer he would be a top 20 pick. I think the potential is there for him to add that to his game and also improve his face up game.

Lets talk about the last 2 plays, both off of timeouts.

We get a step back fadeaway long 2 pointer by gbinije and we get just an ugly, awful lean in jumper by Rak where he luckily got fouled on.

Were those 2 of the worst possessions you can ever remember off of a JB timeout? I remember back in the day when a possession off of a timeout almost always gave us an easy look.

The Ball was suppose to go to Trevor. Mike made the decision to throw it to Roc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom