Last year, Grant got PT due to a player being out... | Syracusefan.com

Last year, Grant got PT due to a player being out...

RF2044

Living Legend
Around midseason last year, Jerami Grant got force fed minutes when James Southerland missed a few games due to an academic issue. He had some ups-and-downs, but also flashed some high quality play--and while he was largely relegated to the bench upon Dirty's return, the infusion of minutes helped kick start Grant's development.

This year, will Keita's injury result in a similar opportunity for Tyler Roberson? With Keita out indefinitely [not saying long or short--just an unknown period of time], Roberson is the only other "big" on the team. He's obviously more of a 4 than a center, but he had a reputation for being a ferocious rebounder in high school. Will he show something and rise to the occasion, like Jerami did last year?

Will be interesting to watch.

Around midseason last year, Jerami Grant got force fed minutes when James Southerland missed a few games due to an academic issue. He had some ups-and-downs, but also flashed some high quality play--and while he was largely relegated to the bench upon Dirty's return, the infusion of minutes helped kick start Grant's development.

This year, will Keita's injury result in a similar opportunity for Tyler Roberson? With Keita out indefinitely [not saying long or short--just an unknown period of time], Roberson is the only other "big" on the team. He's obviously more of a 4 than a center, but he had a reputation for being a ferocious rebounder in high school. Will he show something and rise to the occasion, like Jerami did last year?

Will be interesting to watch.
It's interesting that JAB has been feeding him a few extra minutes lately to see his level of readiness.

We were replacing a wing with a wing last year. This isn't the same situation. I think Roberson will be fine, but he's not a 5 and neither is Grant; and that's the main issue here.

We were replacing a wing with a wing last year. This isn't the same situation. I think Roberson will be fine, but he's not a 5 and neither is Grant; and that's the main issue here.

Yes and no--I'll disagree that it was a wing for a wing, as Grant was much more of a PF last season. But I didn't say it was the same situation. Nor that Roberson is a center [in fact, I explicitly pointed that out in my OP]. But Roberson--whether you consider him a tweener or a PF--is the closest thing we have to a big left on the bench. So he's going to have to help make up some of Keita's minutes, whether that's spelling Grant or playing alongside him when Grant shifts to the middle.

We simply have to get some production out of Roberson. The opportunity is there. It remains to be seen whether Roberson will make the most of the opportunity, like Grant did last year.

Roberson will be in the game whenever Grant is at the 5. Need his rebounding and length to help clog passing lanes. The less the ball makes it to the low post with JG at center, the better. JB will have the wings sag in and dare Pitt to shoot from the outside during these times. Keita's injury may be a blessing in disguise(as long as he's not lost for the season). Roberson needed minutes incase something like this were to happen in the big dance. Better to be prepared for anything than to throw someone out there with little to zero experience, like DaShonte Reily had to do.

It's inevitable that Roberson gets more minutes, and they are needed. But based on one half last game, seems like Silent G may be used semi-routinely at the 3 so Jeremi can slide to the 5 when Roc is out. JB trusts his core 7 players so it's more likely G plays front court more, although Roberson certainly gets a few more mid-half minutes each half. Let's hope this is only a 1 or 2 game dilemma.

unless Rak fouls out i see him getting 35 minutes + , it's just how Jimmy rolls

Roberson needs to get into Beast Mode...take the ball to the rim with authority. He has been settling for jumpers. I hope we have him operating closer to the basket when he gets in, so he can attack the basket.

He's more than capable of helping us, he just has to make it happen.

Roberson needs to get into Beast Mode...take the ball to the rim with authority. He has been settling for jumpers. I hope we have him operating closer to the basket when he gets in, so he can attack the basket.

He's more than capable of helping us, he just has to make it happen.

grant_g_roberson_tyler.jpg%3Fw%3D450

Release the Beast!

unless Rak fouls out i see him getting 35 minutes + , it's just how Jimmy rolls

Okay, so how many minutes do really see Rak getting then? :)

If he gets 35, I'll be ecstatic.

Okay, so how many minutes do really see Rak getting then? :)

If he gets 35, I'll be ecstatic.

That's a very idealistic number. Unfortunately, Rak is prone to picking up cheap/stupid fouls. Against a physical team like pitt, this may be an issue. I'd put the real number at 25-30 min.

Last edited:
That's a very idealistc number. Unfortunately, Rak is prone to picking up cheap/stupid fouls. Against a physical team like pitt, this may be an issue. I'd put the real number at 25-30 min.

Yes, that was my point - I guess I should have been more direct instead of attempting to be humorous. :)

I think you're spot on with your estimate - anything more would be a blessing.

That's a very idealistic number. Unfortunately, Rak is prone to picking up cheap/stupid fouls. Against a physical team like pitt, this may be an issue. I'd put the real number at 25-30 min.
If Rak has to sit, the team has to look at it as an opportunity. We are a very quick team with JG at the 5, and we can take advantage of that.

Gbinije at SF and Grant at Center is also a lineup I think we will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom