Latest Bracketology | Syracusefan.com

Latest Bracketology

My latest bracketology:

None of it matters, you have to beat 6 good teams in a row to be able to call yourself "Champions". The End. (But it would be nice to be in the East).

I know Bracketology is a crapshoot at this point, but I would sign up for this in a second. What a cherry draw for us. Niagara - NC State - New Mexico - Indiana... i would be very confident in that draw (assuming seeds held form).

Cue everyone saying they want no part of Illinois in the 2nd game.

Boy look at those 7/10 games. I can honestly see every 2 seed's fan base panicking with those teams that are potentially waiting for them in round 2. No easy wins this year.

Zeller could very easily drop 25 on us, assuming we got the Elite 8.

See this is why I can't take Joe Lunardi seriously. Bless him for making his gimmick of being an expert "bracketologist" but Duke is not a #1 seed. The committee would evaluate them as they have performed without Ryan Kelly and of their 5 best wins all of them have come before Christmas (Kentucky, Ohio State, Minnesota, VCU, Louisville(without Dieng) with Kelly. Duke is a good team, but they aren't a 1 seed right now.

See this is why I can't take Joe Lunardi seriously. Bless him for making his gimmick of being an expert "bracketologist" but Duke is not a #1 seed. The committee would evaluate them as they have performed without Ryan Kelly and of their 5 best wins all of them have come before Christmas (Kentucky, Ohio State, Minnesota, VCU, Louisville(without Dieng) with Kelly. Duke is a good team, but they aren't a 1 seed right now.

You'd think at some point this would catch up to them but Lunardi doesn't seem to be there yet. They're going to need to get Kelly back and he's going to need to play well.

Then again, it's Duke. They will get every break from the committee possible.

I usually disagree with Lunardi as well but as of right now who do you put in over them? Gonzaga is the only team and they are being held back by a weak conference schedule.

I mean who would you put in that spot? Michigan St? Syracuse? Gonzaga? Michigan?

When you look at the other teams, compare their resumes and study it they actually probably do still belong in that top spot. I dont think they will stay there but I have no problem with them being there given every other teams resumes.

not much difference between a 2 seed and a 12 seed anymore. SU needs to match up against soft, finesse defenses and hope Triche makes his first shot.

I usually disagree with Lunardi as well but as of right now who do you put in over them? Gonzaga is the only team and they are being held back by a weak conference schedule.

I mean who would you put in that spot? Michigan St? Syracuse? Gonzaga? Michigan?

When you look at the other teams, compare their resumes and study it they actually probably do still belong in that top spot. I dont think they will stay there but I have no problem with them being there given every other teams resumes.
Duke is 3 games in 2nd place in the RPI ranked 5th best conference. They have 0 quality wins on another team's home court. There 5 best wins are before Christmas with a player who has been out 6 weeks and can't be expected back. If Kelly was healthy MAYBE you could make the argument they are a 1 seed, but I would put Indiana, Miami, Florida, and Michigan State. EDIT: Michigan State has 1 MORE loss and is tied for 1st place in RPI ranked 1st conference. They played @Miami a lot tougher than Duke did. They are healthy and have a played a decent non-conference schedule. My point is objectively NOBODY can say Duke's resume and situation without Kelly justifies them being a 1 seed.

I'd put Michigan State over Duke. Duke is 7-3 since they lost Kelly, and 2 of those wins include a 1 point win @BC and a 5 point win @Wake. Their road games since Kelly went out have been lose by 8 at NC State, 27 @ Miami, 5 point win @ Wake, 19 point win @FSU, 1 point win @BC, loss @ Maryland. Michigan State has wins at Wisconsin and Iowa (seriously, Iowa is a pretty good team!). They've beaten Kansas, Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan as well.

If Duke had Kelly, I would agree that on a resume basis, they are a top 4 team. But I need to knock them down at least a peg since he's not back and they haven't exactly been worldbeaters without him.

Duke is 3 games in 2nd place in the RPI ranked 5th best conference. They have 0 quality wins on another team's home court. There 5 best wins are before Christmas with a player who has been out 6 weeks and can't be expected back. If Kelly was healthy MAYBE you could make the argument they are a 1 seed, but I would put Indiana, Miami, Florida, and Michigan State. Michigan State has 1 fewer loss and is tied for 1st place in RPI ranked 1st conference. They played @Miami a lot tougher than Duke did. They are healthy and have a played a decent non-conference schedule. My point is objectively NOBODY can say Duke's resume and situation without Kelly justifies them being a 1 seed.

Well you passed the test ;)

Michigan State is the only team IMO that would "deserve" a #1 seed over Duke. If they beat Indiana tonight you can bet your paycheck that they will jump Duke for the 4th #1 seed. If they dont then they will not and Duke will be still on the 1 line.

I hear what you are saying but when you look at the other teams (aside from Sparty) there isnt one that "deserves" the spot over Duke as of right now. Not saying that wont change by selection Sunday.

Well you passed the test ;)

Michigan State is the only team IMO that would "deserve" a #1 seed over Duke. If they beat Indiana tonight you can bet your paycheck that they will jump Duke for the 4th #1 seed. If they dont then they will not and Duke will be still on the 1 line.

I hear what you are saying but when you look at the other teams (aside from Sparty) there isnt one that "deserves" the spot over Duke as of right now. Not saying that wont change by selection Sunday.

It's kind of tough to compare, because without Kelly you are basically comparing a 10 game sample to 25 games for other teams, which gives them a chance to pile up more good wins, but like I said, Duke is 7-3 and has barely beaten 2 not very good teams on the road. I get that they shouldn't lose all credit for their pre Kelly work, but they look like a different team without him, and that team isn't all that impressive.

But sure, if MSU wins tonight, Duke will get bumped down.

It's kind of tough to compare, because without Kelly you are basically comparing a 10 game sample to 25 games for other teams, which gives them a chance to pile up more good wins, but like I said, Duke is 7-3 and has barely beaten 2 not very good teams on the road. I get that they shouldn't lose all credit for their pre Kelly work, but they look like a different team without him, and that team isn't all that impressive.

But sure, if MSU wins tonight, Duke will get bumped down.

Had Michigan or Kansas (or hell us for that matter) not lost a few games in a row there Duke would be no where near the one line. I completely agree with the Kelly argument and I think that will be factored in if there is a coin flip between a team or two. The bottom line is that other teams havent done what they are supposed to do which is win games to grab that one line spot.

I think this will all be a noot point as I think Duke will get picked off at least twice before the ACC tourney.

I don't think it's realistic for Joey Brackets to be putting up alternate brackets. You simply assume Kelly is coming back unless he's been officially declared out. This isn't meant to be life and death, but rather a time-wasting fun exercise.

In reality, the only way the ACC ends up with 2 #1 is if Miami and Duke run the table with Duke winning in Cameron, and both teams reaching the ACC title game. Even that may not be enough.

In the end, the #1 line can not support two teams from the fifth best conference. Miami and/or Duke is guaranteed a loss with their head to head on March 2nd as well as the ACC tourney. I would expect one spot to go to Miami or Duke, based on the next head to head and the tourney. The open spot is going to go to the Big 10 who finishes strong (MSU or Michigan). If there is multiple losses by those teams, i can see Gonzaga getting in there since they will likely run the table.

The only thing I will bet my life on is that the Big 10 has at least one #1 seed.

* Everything else I bet cusetown's life on.

if youre THREE games out of 1st place in your conference you are not a 1 seed, end of story. mich st, florida, id even go with gonzaga over duke.

I don't think it's realistic for Joey Brackets to be putting up alternate brackets. You simply assume Kelly is coming back unless he's been officially declared out. This isn't meant to be life and death, but rather a time-wasting fun exercise.

In reality, the only way the ACC ends up with 2 #1 is if Miami and Duke run the table with Duke winning in Cameron, and both teams reaching the ACC title game. Even that may not be enough.

Well, he always says he does the brackets as if today is Selection Sunday. If today was Selection Sunday and we had no word on Kelly coming back, Duke can't be a 1.

why assume kelly is coming back? hes out indefinitely.

I doubt they will put Indiana and Butler in the same region. First the committee tries to avoid rematches of regular season games and second it would be very unfair to Indiana as the overall top seed to get Butler and their local fan base in Indy. I'm not concerned with these Bracketology pairings at this point but we need to avoid getting placed with IU in Indy that would be awful one of the worst matchups possible for us.

I know Santa Clara is not a tourney level team (KP #78 is not bad) -- basically St. John level,

But Zags are makin a statement up 70-28.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom