LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

LB Geoff Cantin-Arku: Drafted by CFL Montreal Alouettes

So when a ton of the girls basketball team transferred out that didn’t cause JW to start digging into why?

Come on, if you lose 15 kids in one year the coach is likely doing something that the kids don’t like or isn’t very well accepted. Especially when it starts to be kids that are getting playing time. For example GCA.

I’m not saying that’s the situation right now with the football team, but it’s certainly something that needs to be monitored.
I won't argue that it's something to take a look at and losing GCA definitely hurts. But let's consider the others on the list. Seems like they have valid reasons other than a big culture problem, but you never know.

Taj Harris - Not exactly the offense that he was recruited for, so this one makes sense to me.
Tommy DeVito - Got beat out by Shrader and doesn't want to be a backup in what time he has left
Ben Labrosse- apparently doesn't want to play football anywhere, not just at SU
Cody Shear - had an injury plagued career at multiple stops
Latarie Kinsler- recovering from injury and far from home.
Landon Morris - didn't like the offense
Dillon Markiewicz - probably didn't see much prospect for playing time behind Shrader
running back Jarveon Howard - stuck behind Tucker.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines of the presser early this week, something went unexpectedly wrong during the Louisville game with player personnel. Can't figure out why it looked like they didn't come to play.

DB appears to be a person of character development, morals, and respect and teaches that in spite of the outcomes. He didn't like something that happened Saturday, more than just the loss.

It's like when the employee of 2-years speaks up to the CEO at the Town Hall meeting of a multi-million dollar company and thinks he knows how to run things better. After the discussion, he either falls back in line, or comes to realize the company may not be the place for him.

I sense the feeling is the team is bigger than any one individual. So if you don't like the answer from the CEO, you grab your bat and ball and find somewhere else to play.

Last edited:
I won't argue that it's something to take a look at and losing GCA definitely hurts. But let's consider the others on the list. Seems like they have valid reasons other than a big culture problem, but you never know.

Taj Harris - Not exactly the offense that he was recruited for, so this one makes sense to me.
Tommy DeVito - Got beat out by Shrader and doesn't want to be a backup in what time he has left
edge rusher Latarie Kinsler- recovering from injury and far from home.
tight end Landon Morris - didn't like the offense
quarterback Dillon Markiewicz - probably didn't see much prospect for playing time behind Shrader
Great post. This is the first one that is puzzling. All the rest of these didn’t bother me and thought they made sense. This just has peculiar timing.

It seems unfair that teams can only replace 7 players that enter the transfer portal. What happens if we lose 15 players?

Untrue.

We have 25 scholarships to give out.

After we use up all 25, we can gain an additional 7 scholarships for players who enter the portal AFTER signing day in December, up to 32.

Right now we can only use 19 scholarships before we hit the 85 cap.

We've got a ways to go before we need to hit the panic button.

makes no sense with 2 to 3 games left

I'm wondering if he knew he was going to do it anyway, and it's to get a jump on (portal) recruiting season.

When you see Taj and others posting their offers on twitter, you probably don't want to be the last man standing.

Just a guess though.

There is absolutely no evidence that There is something unethical in the football program. To imply without any evidence is something you should stay away from. If a player comes out and claims Dino was Wringing him by the face mask then that’s different.
I think you're reading his comment wrong. Look at the context. Someone asked what should be done if 15 kids transfer. He responded with there is something wrong and fire your coach. I don't think he was saying there is specifically something wrong with SU and that Dino needs to be fired. It was a generic hypothetical.

RelievedFrenchImago-size_restricted.gif

Yesterday’s practice was to be “extremely interesting” and then this happens the very next day? It’s plausible the two are related. If so, I’m on Dino’s side with this one.

I said awhile back that I heard from a good source that Dino has lost the locker room, I said i cant promise it but do not be surprised, I got mocked heavily for it, and I can say this there is a rumor from same source another one that might be coming.

Coaches don't quit their teams and leave in the middle of the season. They get fired, yes, but they don't just get up and leave because they don't like their situation. I get the desire to level the playing field, but these are immature teenagers and should not be trusted with this much freedom. Let them transfer after the season. But there needs to be some checks and balances before the whole thing blows up in its face.
Again, I think the new transfer portal rule should make them go back and review the 4 game eligibility rule. IMO, the rule should be that if you leave at the end of the season, fine, you don’t have to sit out a year. But if you transfer mid season, you have to sit out. You have denied your current team availability of your services and there should be a penalty for that. And if you okay less than 4 games, you can retain that year of eligibility IF YOU STAY at your current school.

Dillon Markiewicz - probably didn't see much prospect for playing time behind Shrader

Oh I agree….my whole response was to the what happens if 15 people transfer out of your program.

I guess what I’m saying is, if it’s 15 guys like Cantin-Arku you have a problem the coach should be fired.

I will say, Taj should be thrown into the same category as Cantin-Arku.

The rest on the list are ones that make absolute sense that they were leaving

Texas Tech’s new coach left his position at Baylor last week and they play each other next Saturday. Lol

Let the kids do whatever they want. Even if it’s not the right decision most of the time they’ll learn from their mistake and if they don’t oh well. The sport is fine

But the fact we lead the country in in-season portal entries, especially after years of no-depth excuses, seems super weird.

This transfer portal is going to ruin what is left of this program. Wait until the starters enter and wind up at programs with recent success. These kids not only want to start, they want to be with programs that are successful and fully invested in football.
Where specifically has SU failed to invest in football in the last four years?

Yesterday’s practice was to be “extremely interesting” and then this happens the very next day? It’s plausible the two are related. If so, I’m on Dino’s side with this one.
What if its because someone wasn't going to SHOW UP? Pretty interesting to find out who will step up to contribute, if someone just bailed that would have still been able to contribute.

I said awhile back that I heard from a good source that Dino has lost the locker room, I said i cant promise it but do not be surprised, I got mocked heavily for it, and I can say this there is a rumor from same source another one that might be coming.
What position does the other one play?

Looking at the portal last evening, of the 5 who entered since 8/1, only Taj has found a new home.
I think there are going to be a lot of kids in the portal without a chair when the music stops.

And I think (hope) that the first few years of the portal might be tough for programs like SU but after a few years a pattern will emerge to a lot of players. Leaving and jumping to the portal doesn’t guarantee playing at a new school AND more importantly might not guarantee at a scholarship with free education at all.

While I hate losing Arku and it impacts end of season depth I am pretty damn sure we picked up a few LBs last class that are pretty damn good. We grabbed a really good one out of Michigan and another from Georgia or South Carolina I think. Again look at who has actually left and by the way in 2 more weeks every program will have 10 plus guys hitting the portal. I don't want to knock our players who left but if in essence a whole 2 of the 15 departures were good, why are we worried besides roster management/balance? Which can be replenished with grad transfers and portal players also.

There is always going to be some degree of discontent and grumbling if the team is losing. You actually had said there were rumblings, whatever that means.

One or two players leaving does not mean the locker room has been lost. Playing the next two games like they did against Louisville, then you have a case.

I’m worried that Dino will lose this locker room if they lose a couple more games in a row, you already hear rumblings about it now.

Looking at the portal last evening, of the 5 who entered since 8/1, only Taj has found a new home.
I think there are going to be a lot of kids in the portal without a chair when the music stops.
Mora at UConn is gonna grab like twenty kids from portal

Schiano last year grabbed 13, probably will grab another ten this year

MSU grabbed a ton last year too

Taj/Tommy/Markiewicz - didn't fit in the new offense
Morris - didn't like that TE's aren't pass game featured here
Shear - who cares, late portal add who wasn't even pegged on the 2 deep
Howard - wants to be a starter somewhere
Labrosse - done with football apparently, looks a bit like the Jon Murphy situation

Agree GCA hurts and Kinsler as well, IF he can get healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him play much wherever he goes.

While I hate losing Arku and it impacts end of season depth I am pretty damn sure we picked up a few LBs last class that are pretty damn good. We grabbed a really good one out of Michigan and another from Georgia or South Carolina I think. Again look at who has actually left and by the way in 2 more weeks every program will have 10 plus guys hitting the portal. I don't want to knock our players who left but if in essence a whole 2 of the 15 departures were good, why are we worried besides roster management/balance? Which can be replenished with grad transfers and portal players also.
I think will be fine at LBer, we have 3 returning starters next year, all of which have 2 or more years of eligibility, plus Matthew and Roon from last class and Mason in the current class. Probably wouldn't hurt to pick one up from JUCO or the Portal but Lber is similar to RB in that it is one of the easier positions to find immediate depth help.