Class of 2021 - LB John O'connor (MA) PWO Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 LB John O'connor (MA) PWO Syracuse

Ozone!

Graphics Wizard
Let’s all give a shout-out to our newest PWO!

0348A51B-0D48-4385-86FD-5E3B7A8EAF64.jpeg

John, I hope you make the most of your opportunity with Cuse Football!

18F79F93-B4B2-48CA-B216-F2267D06DFCE.gif

Maybe he ends up at FB and earns a scholie like Adam Harris-Dear John, Good luck

Semi-serious question: Does SU have any non-preferred walk-ons or are all walk-ons prequalified PWOs)?
Is it once a "show-up" and audition" guy (a true walk-on) makes it, he's then entitled to everything a scholarship or PWO is? I imagine they'd qualify for training table, academic support, schedule rearrangement etc. Do we have any?

Edit
Found this:
Preferred Walk On (PWO) for College Football

Two common questions I get from players and parents are: ‘Coach, what does a preferred walk on mean? What does a regular walk on mean?’

Answer:
College Coaches only have so many athletic scholarships they can give for D1A and D1AA programs, that they are limited on how many they can offer to players. What also conflicts with this question is how many graduating seniors are leaving the program that were on scholarship, AND how many current walk on players will earn a scholarship after playing on the field. So, there is a lot that comes with the coaches decisions on who to give a scholly (scholarship).

Now to answer the question. What is a Preferred Walk On Player? I tell guys, basically the College Coaches want you just as much as a scholarship worthy guy, but they don’t have enough scholarships in their pocket to give you. You will be treated just like a scholarship guy…. you will be invited to fall camp (a month before students arrive) and you will get to compete. There are only 105 spots for Fall Camp, so if you get invited as a PREFERRED WALK ON (PWO) you are still valuable to these college coaches. Does that mean I will have to pay tuition and room/board? Typically, Yes. If a college coach offers you a PWO, that means they see high talent in you and expect you to compete for the job and potentially play as a true freshman. If you do play, and win the job, there is HIGH POTENTIAL that you will earn a scholarship starting second semester of your freshman year, or by the summer after your freshman year. Now, I would be re-missed if I didn’t tell you that I know guys that have had preferred walk on status till their junior season, played a little here and there, OR even played a bunch, then receive a full scholarship their senior season – so please keep that in mind. Will I get a locker? Will I get to eat with the scholarship players? Do I get to attend Study Tables? You will get a locker, pads, cleats, etc… You will only eat with the Scholarship players in certain situations (pre game meal, team gatherings, etc)… You will be put on a Study Table plan… You are treated just the same as a scholarship guy in those cases. If you get invited to camp in the 105, you will get these things.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom