Leaky D & give WF/Manning Credit | Syracusefan.com

Leaky D & give WF/Manning Credit

SU94

Starter
Wake has 34 points with 14 minutes left in the game. They scored 39 points from there on out (yes, aided a bit by FTs, as we trailed late). Prorated, that's 111.4 points per 40 minutes.

Bottom line, we did not get enough stops down the stretch.

yep and how many of those were on 3s? They were straight money down the stretch

Last night we looked a step slow all night - though it may have been the funky camera angle fooling me. That said - it also looked like the first time we were totally spent at the end which was surprising as the pace was not fast. Mentioned in other threads but a 6 man rotation is not going to survive the ACC.

Last night we looked a step slow all night - though it may have been the funky camera angle fooling me. That said - it also looked like the first time we were totally spent at the end which was surprising as the pace was not fast. Mentioned in other threads but a 6 man rotation is not going to survive the ACC.
I hear your (and many folk's) point about fatigue, specifically for Battle and Howard. But I just cannot give it much credence. I mean, before last night, SU had played 5 games in the previous 24 days. That's nothing. As if Battle/Howard somehow had 4 minutes of rest in the Buffalo or Eastern Michigan game, would it have served us last night? To me, that is nonsensical. I can understand managing fatigue during the Big East Tourney (hey, we've never won an ACCT game) or for a sport like baseball, where they play 29-30 days a month (NBA too ... longer games, much more frequent). But college hoops? I just think JAB is actually providing a tactical advantage when he plays Battle and Howard 40 minutes, while the other squad's "limit" their top players to 34-36 minutes. And all of that is before factoring in the timeouts, traditional timeouts, foul shots, halftime, replay reviews, etc.

I hear your (and many folk's) point about fatigue, specifically for Battle and Howard. But I just cannot give it much credence. I mean, before last night, SU had played 5 games in the previous 24 days. That's nothing. As if Battle/Howard somehow had 4 minutes of rest in the Buffalo or Eastern Michigan game, would it have served us last night? To me, that is nonsensical. I can understand managing fatigue during the Big East Tourney (hey, we've never won an ACCT game) or for a sport like baseball, where they play 29-30 days a month (NBA too ... longer games, much more frequent). But college hoops? I just think JAB is actually providing a tactical advantage when he plays Battle and Howard 40 minutes, while the other squad's "limit" their top players to 34-36 minutes. And all of that is before factoring in the timeouts, traditional timeouts, foul shots, halftime, replay reviews, etc.
I hear you as well, I don't necessarily think it's always physical but a combination of physical and mental fatigue that shows up later in games on defensive close outs, FT's, shot selection, etc. Can be argued both ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom