Leigh Montville gets it | Syracusefan.com

Leigh Montville gets it

Makes perfect sense for baseketball. But 1975 isn't walking back through the door. And frankly, as much as I enjoy the Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and UConn history and rivalries, we are also stuck playing Marquette, DePaul, Cinci, Louisvile and S. Florida every year, not exactly regional or historical ri-vals.

And now we're stuck playing Wake Forest, NC State, Va. Tech, Miami, Virginia and others.

Sorry, it sucks.

And now we're stuck playing Wake Forest, NC State, Va. Tech, Miami, Virginia and others.

Sorry, it sucks.
actually, the only 2 in there that 'suck' historically, are miami and vpi.

and miami is having a pretty good year.

I'm not convinced proximity really matters anymore. This article is basically an article about how much better things used to be. Pick any topic in the world and you can find thousands of articles about how much better things used to be. Things change, we all adapt.

Georgetown has traditionally been our biggest rival. They're in Washington, DC. Not exactly right next door, or even next door to next door. We hate them because they were great when we were really good. And we had great games with them. Well guess what, Duke and UNC will be great too, and we'll have great games with them.

So we're not playing PC, SH, and UConn anymore. Honestly, playing PC and SH stopped being fun about 10 years ago. The ACC is full of teams that are as much fun to line up against as those teams.

Yeah sure its not gonna be the same but if I may be blasphemous for a moment - If UConn is brought to the ACC then it really does make things a whole lot better.

We'd have Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh and Connecticut all in the same conference again. Those rivalries wouldn't even miss a beat.

Toss in Notre Dame (which by the way has been in the Big East for 18 years) and Miami (came into the BE in '91 and stayed for 13 years) and its really not a bad place for fans of all those schools in terms of rivalries.

Montville may be whining but the best thing that's happened to Boston College since 2005 is Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame coming over to the dark side. As much as I love to hate UConn, it just makes sense for them to come as well.

I'm not sure if it is BC or the ACC as a whole that doesn't want UConn, but it just makes so much sense to include them. Basketball, football, location, rivalries.

Bring in the Huskies.

I agree with him. BC has lousy attendance because there is no hype surrounding their games. It would help if they were playing Uconn, St Johns, etc.

However, it would also help if they had a game or two that people are proud to say they were at... it builds hype. Like I can always say... you remember that Gerry MacNamara run for Syracuse during the BET in 2006? That was INSANE, so happy I got to be in the garden. You don't have to be a Syracuse or Kentucky to pack the house every night. Just have an exciting product.

I agree with him. BC has lousy attendance because there is no hype surrounding their games. It would help if they were playing Uconn, St Johns, etc.

However, it would also help if they had a game or two that people are proud to say they were at... it builds hype. Like I can always say... you remember that Gerry MacNamara run for Syracuse during the BET in 2006? That was INSANE, so happy I got to be in the garden. You don't have to be a Syracuse or Kentucky to pack the house every night. Just have an exciting product.
I feel like Conte Forum was always a mausoleum.

The biggest problem they have is that BC basketball is, always has been, and always will be, a joke. If BC were as successful as SU or UConn or Pitt, they'd be playing their home games at the Boston Garden in front of big crowds.

Nobody cared about the Patriots in Boston until they became great. Now they're as big as the Red Sox.

People like winners. BC has never been, and will never be a winner in college bball.

BC had a number of very good years in basketball. How easily we forget.

I feel like Conte Forum was always a mausoleum.

The biggest problem they have is that BC basketball is, always has been, and always will be, a joke. If BC were as successful as SU or UConn or Pitt, they'd be playing their home games at the Boston Garden in front of big crowds.

Nobody cared about the Patriots in Boston until they became great. Now they're as big as the Red Sox.

People like winners. BC has never been, and will never be a winner in college bball.

Coupla things - BC hoops was not always a joke. They won 2 Big East Tournaments and either won or shared 5 regular season championships. Once Syracuse, Notre Dame and Pitt start coming to Boston and re-establishing those rivalries, fans will get juiced and those games will attract larger crowds and be played at the Gahden. Think about it - its going to be one of the few games in the northeast that the NYC and Boston Syracuse fans can easily travel to. I know I'll be there.

As I said, this is the best thing to happen to Boston College since they left. Adding UConn would only make it better for them.

BC had a number of very good years in basketball. How easily we forget.
Dudley was the POY and they had a few good years with that group. Boston is the biggest front runner town outside of LA.

Proximity does matter IMO, Georgetown might be one of our biggest rivals yes but it's also The NYC metro area buzzing at tourney time and all the great battles at MSG! When a fan base can travel to a game by car in less than a day it makes a difference!

I'm not convinced proximity really matters anymore. This article is basically an article about how much better things used to be. Pick any topic in the world and you can find thousands of articles about how much better things used to be. Things change, we all adapt.

Georgetown has traditionally been our biggest rival. They're in Washington, DC. Not exactly right next door, or even next door to next door. We hate them because they were great when we were really good. And we had great games with them. Well guess what, Duke and UNC will be great too, and we'll have great games with them.

So we're not playing PC, SH, and UConn anymore. Honestly, playing PC and SH stopped being fun about 10 years ago. The ACC is full of teams that are as much fun to line up against as those teams.

Disagree. I think proximity does matter.

My doctor is a Georgetown grad.

My next door neighbor has a UConn flag out front.

A friend is a BC grad (nice to have them back).

Some PC grads gave me a hard time while I was skiing in Vermont last winter.

I don't know any Wake Forest, Va. Tech or NC State fans. I know many Rutgers fans.

I went to the PC and SH games on the road this year. They were a lot of fun. There were a ton of SU fans there. I ran into friends.

Granted the old Big East was better than the current Big East. But the current BE is still better than what the ACC will be.

Carry on.

I agree! For all those who hate UConn, you hate them because they are a rival! Who will our rival be?

In the immediate future the 'new' rival will be Pittsburgh and Boston College. Notre Dame to a lesser degree. The animosity towards Louisville will probably really start to gain momentum and one of either Duke or UNC will get interesting fast.

I'll vote UNC because I think Duke fans think they are above it all. UNC peeps probably realize that a program like Syracuse should be feared/respected and I think they'll approach it as such.

Of course its all going to depend on the types of games that are played. close, tense, physical, controversial. Whichever teams give the Orange those kinds of games are the teams we're going to gravitate towards hating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom