Lesson from last night’s game | Syracusefan.com

Lesson from last night’s game

raf4488

Starter
Virginia is really, really good. That performance beats anybody in the country by double digits.

I don’t understand posters who are using this game to complain about the state of the program. We got outclassed by the best team in the country playing well above even their high standards. If we landed a couple more 5 stars, played man the entire game, had Hopkins as our coach, ran Chris Paul out there as our point guard, etc. - none of that would’ve made any difference in the outcome last night.

We’ve played 31 games. We know what this team is - a solid NCAA team, not elite, not terrible. The 6th or 7th best team in this league. It’s not some revelation that frank howard is not the answer at point guard after game 31, or that we need more production from the center position. We have the entire offseason to discuss where this program is going and if JB can bring us back to where we should be.

The best thing to do is to forget about last night and look towards Clemson. There are opportunities left, and a lot to play for. I’m excited to see how this team closes out the season.

Virginia is really, really good. That performance beats anybody in the country by double digits.

I don’t understand posters who are using this game to complain about the state of the program. We got outclassed by the best team in the country playing well above even their high standards. If we landed a couple more 5 stars, played man the entire game, had Hopkins as our coach, ran Chris Paul out there as our point guard, etc. - none of that would’ve made any difference in the outcome last night.

We’ve played 31 games. We know what this team is - a solid NCAA team, not elite, not terrible. The 6th or 7th best team in this league. It’s not some revelation that frank howard is not the answer at point guard after game 31, or that we need more production from the center position. We have the entire offseason to discuss where this program is going and if JB can bring us back to where we should be.

The best thing to do is to forget about last night and look towards Clemson. There are opportunities left, and a lot to play for. I’m excited to see how this team closes out the season.
excellent post.

Chewy was a big reason we led at the half, Cs were the least of our problems. They were taking shots other teams don't even consider, and this team doesn't know how to run them off of an imaginary line 10 feet beyond the arc. They did look like the Warriors last night. Thank you, next

I don't think this is at all about just "last night" and being "outclassed" by arguably the best team in our conference, etc. But rather more about the 5 year non-stop flight we've been on in being nothing more than a mediocre, middling, as you allude, 6th, 7th, or 8th place team in the ACC. And, when we get crushed by the top teams in our conference, especially at home, it just further solidifies our current existence (new normal) of what we are in this league.

It's somewhat tough to swallow coming from a place/stature we maintained in the Big East, routinely playing for conference championships, etc., not to mention us being ranked 5th nationally in all time wins for a program (when including the 101 vacated). Moreover, I think what also adds to the frustration, is that based upon our current recruiting level, style of play, a coach seemingly 3 years from retirement, etc., it does not appear that our plight is changing anytime soon.

the state of the program posts is not just about last nite. its 5 years in a row of being a middle of the pack bubble team. and it doesnt look like thats gonna change anytime soon.

but last nite was a good example of how far we've fallen. when we were in the big east and had a huge game at the dome, i always felt like we were gonna win. now its the opposite. a couple weeks ago i posted that we aint beating duke unc or uva so we better beat louisville and wake to get to 10 wins. with 2 of those games at home they shouldnt be automatic losses, but we're not on the same level anymore as the top teams

the state of the program posts is not just about last nite. its 5 years in a row of being a middle of the pack bubble team. and it doesnt look like thats gonna change anytime soon.

but last nite was a good example of how far we've fallen. when we were in the big east and had a huge game at the dome, i always felt like we were gonna win. now its the opposite. a couple weeks ago i posted that we aint beating duke unc or uva so we better beat louisville and wake to get to 10 wins. with 2 of those games at home they shouldnt be automatic losses, but we're not on the same level anymore as the top teams

But, but 25-0 counts for something doesn't it? And, the Final Four in 2016? Who cares we were a 'last 4 in' 10 seed that year and that that 4 game run wasn't really any different than our Sweet 16, 3 game run last year as literally the 'last team in' as an 11 seed. JB saying we were a wide open corner jumper miss by ASU's best shooter in last year's play in game from being bounced right then and there, and what you are during the season is more of a reflection of your team than some 3 or 4 game snipit in March is just hogwash, right? Just as when he said this is the same team that lost 14 games last season. I know...those darn sanctions!

I don't understand posters who don't understand how things work.
This game was symbolic of more than one game. "The State of the Program" becomes an issue more when we lose, because—then the warts face the hard light of day. When we win, even if it's despite warts, it's like that filter they used to film Elizabeth Taylor. Some people like to believe that's the truth. But, look at the league records, please. Maybe you're happy with that.

I really hope the staff isn't 'just forgetting about' humiliations, losses, negatives, trends. You should be able to learn from these types of experiences, not just in the micro sense, but toward the macro.

Yeah, Virginia is "really, really good." But, they're not that good. The point, for many of us, is that it ought to be us that is "really, really good," and we've been trending for an appreciable, not-small-sample-size, period of time into really, really mediocre.

This game was symbolic of more than one game. "The State of the Program" becomes an issue more when we lose, because—then the warts face the hard light of day. When we win, even if it's despite warts, it's like that filter they used to film Elizabeth Taylor. Some people like to believe that's the truth. But, look at the league records, please. Maybe you're happy with that.

I really hope the staff isn't 'just forgetting about' humiliations, losses, negatives, trends. You should be able to learn from these types of experiences, not just in the micro sense, but toward the macro.

Yeah, Virginia is "really, really good." But, they're not that good. The point, for many of us, is that it ought to be us that is "really, really good," and we've been trending for an appreciable, not-small-sample-size, period of time into really, really mediocre.
If only we had a younger coach with great energy who could recruit and understood our culture ready to go. Sigh.

Uva is really good but they aren't the 96 Kentucky Wildcats or 92 duke team. We shouldn't be losing by 26 at home.

Remarkable that I was the first to like your post.

Very well said.

We’ve become David trying to land an occasional stone on the noggins of the goliaths.

Forgetting or simply not knowing that we were once one of the goliaths who tromped as we pleased in the David field.

Last night just reiterated how far this program has fallen. We aren’t a top program. We aren’t a top 25 program. We are a middle of the pack ACC program and the results bear that out.

Until the philosophy, recruiting and in-game coaching improves, the program isn’t getting back to being a ranked contender. It’s as simple as that. It stinks where the team has sunk to, but it’s worse knowing it’s not improving any time soon. It’s one thing if you have you have an off year but then a great year or two. We just are so mediocre with nothing on the horizon. That’s what really hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom