Let's let the dough rise | Syracusefan.com

Let's let the dough rise

VaBeachOrFan

2nd String
It takes time to develop young players and fill the holes left by the loss of Dion, KJ and Scoop. So far, SUBB isn't doing too badly. Consider:

1. After MCW got ahead of himself and tried to do too much (drive and finish poorly; take ill-advised threes; brick FTs; and try to be the GoToGuy when he wasn't playing well), he's improved steadily, with Providence being his best effort to play within his considerable talents.
2. After everyone from JB on down got on Rak's case for being too passive, he came out yesterday and met that challenge.
3. After everyone lamented our poor FT shooting, players turned it around yesterday.
4. After the yearly "Triche needs to step up" cries were uttered, Brandon finally has shown what everyone thinks he's capable of in the RU and USF games.
5. We know Dirty can go off at any time, as he did against Arkansas.
6. Fair shined against SD, and has been the closest thing SU has had to a consistent player so far.

So does anyone really think this team isn't coming together? SU has the requisite talent of a top ten team, but the team has to mesh, and it won't have the personality of last year's team, it just won't. The players have to find their own chemistry on the court, and I think they're doing that, bit by bit. Now we're just talking about the parts working more consistently to make the whole a better product. Not bad for January, I'd say.-VBOF

It takes time to develop young players and fill the holes left by the loss of Dion, KJ and Scoop. So far, SUBB isn't doing too badly. Consider:

1. After MCW got ahead of himself and tried to do too much (drive and finish poorly; take ill-advised threes; brick FTs; and try to be the GoToGuy when he wasn't playing well), he's improved steadily, with Providence being his best effort to play within his considerable talents.
2. After everyone from JB on down got on Rak's case for being too passive, he came out yesterday and met that challenge.
3. After everyone lamented our poor FT shooting, players turned it around yesterday.
4. After the yearly "Triche needs to step up" cries were uttered, Brandon finally has shown what everyone thinks he's capable of in the RU and USF games.
5. We know Dirty can go off at any time, as he did against Arkansas.
6. Fair shined against SD, and has been the closest thing SU has had to a consistent player so far.

So does anyone really think this team isn't coming together? SU has the requisite talent of a top ten team, but the team has to mesh, and it won't have the personality of last year's team, it just won't. The players have to find their own chemistry on the court, and I think they're doing that, bit by bit. Now we're just talking about the parts working more consistently to make the whole a better product. Not bad for January, I'd say.-VBOF

And early January at that!

Well said.

Completely agree. In the chat a few games back I said we werent going anywhere with Keita playing the majority of post minutes. Keita is a nice bench player, but thats it. DC2 is a mess right now but Keita isnt able to duplicate the type of performence Rak had last night. Rak has a very high ceiling.

Raks game last night was a positive step. Also no turnovers for MCW. That was also impressive.

James continues to be the key to this team offensively. There will be games where he is on and that will certainly open up the floor. Then you had games like last night where he couldnt throw it in the ocean and we survived because guys like CJ and Rak stepped up. (mostly CJ). We also went 17-18 from the foul line which was nice to see.

Here is to it continuing.

we have no one that can't be left open, until he proves its "his night." That's what this team lacks, someone who scares the other team into accounting for them. So far, the best defense against us seems to be to let our "star" drive to the basket, unchallenged, so he can miss lay-ups. We are not reall very good, and unless Cooney finds his stroke, we will suffer this year.

Raks game last night was a positive step. Also no turnovers for MCW. That was also impressive.

James continues to be the key to this team offensively. There will be games where he is on and that will certainly open up the floor. Then you had games like last night where he couldnt throw it in the ocean and we survived because guys like CJ and Rak stepped up. (mostly CJ). We also went 17-18 from the foul line which was nice to see.

"No turnovers for MCW...?" What about the one trying to break the press at the end? Was that credited to someone else?

James is definately the key. If he struggles, we struggle and have to try and win a dogfight. If hes average, we probably win by 8-10 points and lead most the way. If hes on, we blow the other team out. This goes for pretty much any team we face sans a Duke/Michigan/Louisville team.

"No turnovers for MCW...?" What about the one trying to break the press at the end? Was that credited to someone else?

Ah gotcha. Forgot about that one. Well no turnovers for 39 minutes then!

James is definately the key. If he struggles, we struggle and have to try and win a dogfight. If hes average, we probably win by 8-10 points and lead most the way. If hes on, we blow the other team out. This goes for pretty much any team we face sans a Duke/Michigan/Louisville team.

I don't know about Duke without Kelly. I think that drops them down a notch.

we have no one that can't be left open, until he proves its "his night." That's what this team lacks, someone who scares the other team into accounting for them. So far, the best defense against us seems to be to let our "star" drive to the basket, unchallenged, so he can miss lay-ups. We are not reall very good, and unless Cooney finds his stroke, we will suffer this year.

Do you really believe our success this year lies in the hands of Cooney? If so, we are done.

The reality is, having him earn some minutes is one of those things that would truly help the squad, in just cutting the minutes down as much as possible for our two guards.

I don't know about Duke without Kelly. I think that drops them down a notch.

Damaging loss. Senior big man who can shoot, rebound and run the floor. That will certainly hurt them. Especially if Plumlee gets into foul trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom