Let's talk about that 19-2 run to open the 2nd half | Syracusefan.com

Let's talk about that 19-2 run to open the 2nd half

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
No question that we made half time adjustments to open up the court a little more in the second half (Boeheim bashers must be so depressed today) but amazingly the shots that were falling in the first half stopped falling in the second half for Virginia. We all know the last four minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the 2nd half are very crucial to the flow of the game. I'm not sure we have ever come out on a run like that from halftime to take control of a game and not give up the lead afterwards.

Battle had a three, a couple baskets by TT, White a couple of threes, Lydon shooting the three from Elizaville. Virginia had a couple missed layups, some turnovers and some missed threes. We also had some turnovers and missed foul shots as well. We gave them an opportunity and they couldn't capitalize. 22 to 34 at the half became 41 to 36 eight and a half minutes later. Virginia had a few opportunities after that but basically they were toast.

NCAA Play by Play - Virginia v Syracuse :: WRALSportsFan.com

What is crazy is how similar some of the numbers of the last 2 games against Virginia. Second half runs of 19-2 this year; and 21-2 last year. Leading scorers, this year 23 by White and Battle; and last year 23 by Richardson.

Our boy London looked like he was suffering from PTSD about midway through the second half. I thought they were done for when I saw that but he was really the only one who kept them in it late with some big shots.

I was surprised and a bit worried when Bennett sat Perrentes from about the 9 minute mark and us up 6 points till around 5:40 in the game and us only up 3. We couldn't take advantage of his absence and extend our lead. Was concerned what a rested Perrentes with over 3 minute of instructions from the Va staff would do. It didn't seem to matter thankfully and our lead though threatened never disappeared.

yep the look on his face and Bennett's face after Lydon drained the three was priceless:
"oh sh__ I can't believe this is happening to us again"
Lydon plays a major role in opening up the offense.
Even if he comes outside and does nothing they still have to come out and guard him because he can hit the 3.
And that opens up the middle for Battle and Gillon and maybe even White to drive.

That three Battle hit to start the 2nd half was critical. It was a terrible possession for us and he bailed us out big time. If we don't score there, and they go up 14, it's a different game.

And that double crossover, drive the lane pull up jumper was Flat Out Filthy. Best move I've seen in a loooooooooong time.

No question that we made half time adjustments to open up the court a little more in the second half (Boeheim bashers must be so depressed today) but amazingly the shots that were falling in the first half stopped falling in the second half for Virginia. We all know the last four minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the 2nd half are very crucial to the flow of the game. I'm not sure we have ever come out on a run like that from halftime to take control of a game and not give up the lead afterwards.

Battle had a three, a couple baskets by TT, White a couple of threes, Lydon shooting the three from Elizaville. Virginia had a couple missed layups, some turnovers and some missed threes. We also had some turnovers and missed foul shots as well. We gave them an opportunity and they couldn't capitalize. 22 to 34 at the half became 41 to 36 eight and a half minutes later. Virginia had a few opportunities after that but basically they were toast.

NCAA Play by Play - Virginia v Syracuse :: WRALSportsFan.com

Yep, nice summary. When we stalled briefly at 34-30 I thought the game was over - nice run by us but we'd wasted a couple too many possessions and Virginia couldn't possibly sit on 34 for 6 minutes without regaining control of the game. Reminded me of our slim halftime lead against Ohio State in 2012 when Sullinger spent several minutes on the bench; to win, we'd have needed to build a bigger lead with that advantage.

Same deal yesterday, only we continued to consistently score and get timely shots. One huge advantage (possibly unprecedented for Syracuse) this season: we've got great free throw shooters who can carry us through dry spells and extend leads at the end of games.

That three Battle hit to start the 2nd half was critical. It was a terrible possession for us and he bailed us out big time. If we don't score there, and they go up 14, it's a different game.

And that double crossover, drive the lane pull up jumper was Flat Out Filthy. Best move I've seen in a loooooooooong time.
Yup, Battle had three big baskets in the 2nd half with under five on the clock. We really have four very good offensive performers.

Yup, Battle had three big baskets in the 2nd half with under five on the clock. We really have four very good offensive performers.
Yep and it's nice that we don't have to rely on 1 guy like last year with G. AW3 is going to do what he does and then 1 of Battle/Lydon/Gillon seem to step up. Lydon had 6pts yesterday and we still scored 66 vs. UVA.
It's nice to have several legit scoring threats - seems like we haven't had that in a while

Yep, nice summary. When we stalled briefly at 34-30 I thought the game was over - nice run by us but we'd wasted a couple too many possessions and Virginia couldn't possibly sit on 34 for 6 minutes without regaining control of the game. Reminded me of our slim halftime lead against Ohio State in 2012 when Sullinger spent several minutes on the bench; to win, we'd have needed to build a bigger lead with that advantage.

Same deal yesterday, only we continued to consistently score and get timely shots. One huge advantage (possibly unprecedented for Syracuse) this season: we've got great free throw shooters who can carry us through dry spells and extend leads at the end of games.

I felt like it had been forever since I saw one of our guys drive in the lane and get fouls.

cavaliers seemed to be passing a lot out top and trying to probe inside but nothing was there.
other teams have simply launched and gambled on offensive boards in those situations.
virginia tossed around out top and took at least 2 thirty second calls. that's good D.

Our boy London looked like he was suffering from PTSD about midway through the second half. I thought they were done for when I saw that but he was really the only one who kept them in it late with some big shots.
No doubt about the PTSD look. I wish someone would capture a snippet of the "Not this again" look on his face while walking back to the bench after Lydon's shot from Elizaville. He wasn't mugging and sniffing his stankfingers like last year, but the memory of that from last year was enough to prevent me from feeling sorry for the dude. Though I admit he's a baller.

London Bridge has fallen down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom