Let's Talk Iona Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Let's Talk Iona Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
They start 4 guards. They have a veteran team that was picked to win their league (they have won it twice in a row)

Men's basketball: Coaches pick Iona to finish first, McGill second-team All-MAAC

Story on their two star players, both trying to re-establish themselves on the court.

Men's basketball: Iona counting on more from Much, Casimir to match preseason hype

And they lost to SUNY Albany in their season opener, getting outrebounded 47-27.

UAlbany men's basketball tops Iona in opener

I would think we match-up well with them. We aren't a great rebounding team but should dominate the boards tomorrow. Probably not a game where we will press much. It will be interesting to see how patient we are on offense. I hope we take the time to get good shots in the paint and get them in foul trouble early.

They lost to UAlbany - we had better win pretty easy. Rebuild year or not - we need to re-establish that we dominate non P5 schools.

It was a close game, decided by 2 points and a disputed call.

Last edited:
haven't seen them play in a couple of years, but here's what i can tell from the stats:
they didn't shoot the ball well vs albany, but they should be a very good shooting team this year. last year, they were 14th in the nation in 3 pt pct at 39.7. they bring back three sharpshooters - much shot .385 on 148 three point attempts, crawford hit .448 on 125 attempts and casimir shot .427 on 96 tries. to those three they add transfer roland griffin who hit .393 for illinois state two years ago. even returning point guard mcgill is not a great shooter but did hit on nearly 34% of his attempts last year.

to those four they add two grad transfers. zach lewis hit only 29% from three for umass last year, but he's a career 33% shooter who,as a freshman at canisius, knocked down 39% of his 162 triple tries.

the other grad transfer is going to be a good early test for our bigs. tk edogi is their big man who went for 17 and 9 on 8/10 shooting vs albany. he's a transfer from tulsa in the aac, where he didn't set the world on fire but he did hit 62% of his shots, all from the interior. he's a good ft shooter, too. at least he gives iona a semblance of a true interior game, which none of our opponents have presented so far.

they're going to take ALOT of threes. Casimir can really really light it up if he gets hot. he's a redshirt junior, sophomore year lost to injury and last year he lost a lot of time to the same injury. He had three surgeries, two hip and one sports hernia, However, his freshman year he shot the ball extremely well. Dropped 40 on Delaware St on 8-9 threes his freshman year. has scored over 20 many times. Edogi is going to be really physical against our weaker team because he's a very big 6'8. McGill is one of the most underrated lead guards in the country. last year he averaged around 10 and 5 but he's more than capable of going out and dropping a cool 20. Albany isn't a bad team either. their backcourt can straight up score and if it wasn't for Vermont being in their conference then they would be the favorite.

Iona plays a fast paced open court, up and down game. It won't be half court. Our wings should do well in that type of game and it plays to Frank's strength instead of his half court weaknesses.

Edogi is listed at 6'8 220 on the Iona roster. He was listed at 6'8 227 on the Tulsa roster in 2015 so it looks like he has lost some weight. We will probably try and get him in foul trouble attacking him with our slashers.

I am sure it isn't, but it would be great if his name was pronounced ee-dog-gie.

TK Edogi

This game should be a good early season test for this team. It needs to play good D and get out on the 3pt shooters especially in the corners. Chukwu has REALLY struggled to get out there so far this year. If Iona gets a hot hand this team could be trouble. Our half court offense needs to produce and we need to take advantage of the mismatches. OB and Moyer should have 3+ inches on their guys, they need to beat their man and show some low post game to affectively exploit Iona's weakness'.

A poor man's S Carolina. This is the first game that will tell us something about our team.

i see they are also a poor rebounding team on both sides of the court - last year as well as last game. that obviates what is otherwise su's main defensive weakness.

They start 4 guards. They have a veteran team that was picked to win their league (they have won it twice in a row)

Men's basketball: Coaches pick Iona to finish first, McGill second-team All-MAAC

Story on their two star players, both trying to re-establish themselves on the court.

Men's basketball: Iona counting on more from Much, Casimir to match preseason hype

And they lost to SUNY Albany in their season opener, getting outrebounded 47-27.

UAlbany men's basketball tops Iona in opener

I would think we match-up well with them. We aren't a great rebounding team but should dominate the boards tomorrow. Probably not a game where we will press much. It will be interesting to see how patient we are on offense. I hope we take the time to get good shots in the paint and get them in foul trouble early.
If you think we're not gonna be a good rebounding team?????
That's the most shocking thing I've ever read from you ever!