Lets Think About This | Syracusefan.com

Lets Think About This

OrangeBlood

Starter
Everyone seems to be in agreement that we have roughly 20 spots available this year. As it stands right now it breaks down like this:
Solid (14)
Wilson
Cooper
Winfield
Provo (seems like it)
Burton
Miller
Hayes
Williams
Trejo
Johnson
Kirkland
Hodge
Arciniega
Kelly

Soft (3)
Edwards
Brown
Carter

So we roughly have 17 commits today. Let's say that we keep the three "soft" guys. We only have around 3 scholarships left.

What I would like to see--
Kimble- I think we take a QB in this class, if not him someone else. I think he is the best available, would prefer to get him. Will be tough to beat NIU.

Smith- Lock down NYC. His speed would be an absolute weapon that we don't have currently.

Moore- We have a need at OT. We has very good offers and would be an excellent late in game pick-up. Going to be tough to beat OU.

If we have more schollies than we think or one of the "soft" guys go elsewhere,
Singleton- We need a playmaker at safety, he could start right away. solid offers.

Thomas (S)- Not sure if I trust his offer list, he would be a nice pick-up. If we can only take one, I am not sure which I take. Thomas v. Singleton is tough.

Spearman- If we can pull him away from Illinois, he would be our best LB recruit. Maybe make Carter spendable? (Unlikely however)

Other options:
Porter (QB)
Cramer (QB)
Stanback (RB)
Scissum (ATH)
Briggs (OL)
Hunter (OL)
Poet Thomas (OL/DL)

If I had to guess what actually happens, we keep Edwards and Brown. Carter goes to RU. We get Smith, Porter, Singleton, Briggs. Not a great finish.. but solid. too late in the game for some.

Who would you all like to see? What do you guys think is most likely?

If I have to pick 3 I'm taking spearman, Moore and singleton. If coley visits ill take him in my top 3.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that we have roughly 20 spots available this year. As it stands right now it breaks down like this:
Solid (14)
Wilson
Cooper
Winfield
Provo (seems like it)
Burton
Miller
Hayes
Williams
Trejo
Johnson
Kirkland
Hodge
Arciniega
Kelly

Soft (3)
Edwards
Brown
Carter

So we roughly have 17 commits today. Let's say that we keep the three "soft" guys. We only have around 3 scholarships left.

Kimble- I think we take a QB in this class, if not him someone else. I think he is the best available, would prefer to get him. Will be tough to beat NIU.

NC State is our big threat with Kimble.

Smith- Lock down NYC. His speed would be an absolute weapon that we don't have currently.

Moore- We have a need at OT. We has very good offers and would be an excellent late in game pick-up. Going to be tough to beat OU.

Singleton- We need a playmaker at safety, he could start right away. solid offers.

Thomas (S)- Not sure if I trust his offer list, he would be a nice pick-up. If we can only take one, I am not sure which I take. Thomas v. Singleton is tough.

Spearman- If we can pull him away from Illinois, he would be our best LB recruit. Maybe make Carter spendable? (Unlikely however)

Other options:
Porter (QB)
Cramer (QB)
Stanback (RB)
Scissum (ATH)
Briggs (OL)
Hunter (OL)
Poet Thomas (OL/DL)

If I had to guess what actually happens, we keep Edwards and Brown. Carter goes to RU. We get Smith, Porter, Singleton, Briggs. Not a great finish.. but solid. too late in the game for some.

I would love to see us grab Thomas, Hunter, Moore and Spearman ... I think if Coley decides to come onboard (extremely unlikely) you have to make room for him.

The only thing I am sure about is that the staff averted disaster with this class - a remarkable feat in such as short period of time. Anything they add form here among the late offers is a real plus.

Solid (14)
Wilson
Cooper
Winfield
Provo (seems like it)
Burton
Miller
Hayes
Williams
Trejo
Johnson
Kirkland
Hodge
Arciniega
Kelly

Soft (3)
Edwards
Brown
Carter

Other options:
Porter (QB)
Cramer (QB)
Stanback (RB)
Scissum (ATH)
Briggs (OL)
Hunter (OL)
Poet Thomas (OL/DL)

As I said in another post - if Edwards, Brown or Carter bail, so be it. I don't want kids here who do not want to be here and all three appear to have found an excuse to attract more attention to themselves. Biggest thing that may ever happen for them so let them enjoy it - but no tears if they don't show. Suspect Brown is gone since he's from FLA and is now hearing from programs like TN - may be down but are still sexy and closer to home.

Moore - tough get but always good to have the last visit.

Thomas - you don't trust his list because of things you read out here? The kid posted something about being named to the top 40 DBs in the country - easy to check out although I am not going to waste my time looking into it. If true - he is a no brainer based on measureables.

I am not a social media expert - but some things I have read (in addition to no commit today) seem to indicate that SU may be too far from home for Singleton. Nothing you can do to change that perception.

Seems clear to me the staff wants another QB so I suspect they'll get one whether some out here like it or not.

Scissum seems like a given if he has grades.

Jaylen Hunter would be nice if he is still interested.

I'll say it for the 5th time today - in this staff I trust (more than posters watching 5 minute videos showing the best 50 plays of a 1,000 play season).

I think we get Simeon Thomas, Laray, Jaylen Hunter, Spearman, and a QB not named Kimble

My top 5 (aside from the 3 softs) = Laray Smith / Simeon Thomas / Duron Singleton / Conner Cramer / Reggie Spearman

I think it would be great to get that 2nd QB of this class, and it does seem that Kimble will belong to the Wolfpack. I dig Cramer's game film and it's a plus that he was playing against a high level of competition.

Reason for a top 5: I have a feeling (not knowledge) that there are more than 20 scholarships available this year. I wonder if Barrett is on scholarship, but it seems they should have him walk on for his return to the team and not use a scholarship. Someone else had previously mentioned the status of Myles Davis, wondering if his injury is football career-ending and thus that would free up a football scholarship.

My top 5 (aside from the 3 softs) = Laray Smith / Simeon Thomas / Duron Singleton / Conner Cramer / Reggie Spearman

I think it would be great to get that 2nd QB of this class, and it does seem that Kimble will belong to the Wolfpack. I dig Cramer's game film and it's a plus that he was playing against a high level of competition.

Reason for a top 5: I have a feeling (not knowledge) that there are more than 20 scholarships available this year. I wonder if Barrett is on scholarship, but it seems they should have him walk on for his return to the team and not use a scholarship. Someone else had previously mentioned the status of Myles Davis, wondering if his injury is football career-ending and thus that would free up a football scholarship.
I learned some twitter lessons today. From what I could tell it appeared that Singleton had to fly from CA to Las Vegas to Newark to Syracuse. I don't care how great the visit - that had to have left a negative impression on the kid. No one's fault and no knock on the staff, program or opportunity - the reality of Syracuse being off the grid. Sometimes people need to take things like this into consideration.

I think we get Simeon Thomas, Laray, Jaylen Hunter, Spearman, and a QB not named Kimble

I'll say we lose Carter and Edwards.

But gain Laray, Jaylen Hunter, Scissum, Simeon Thomas, Todd Porter and Duron Singleton.

I learned some twitter lessons today. From what I could tell it appeared that Singleton had to fly from CA to Las Vegas to Newark to Syracuse. I don't care how great the visit - that had to have left a negative impression on the kid. No one's fault and no knock on the staff, program or opportunity - the reality of Syracuse being off the grid. Sometimes people need to take things like this into consideration.
duron.jpg

Maybe, maybe not.

I wouldn't look at 20 as anywhere close to the number of kids signed since we're probably taking a flyer on at least a couple academic issues and we may have a kid or two leave due to coaching turnover. I wouldn't be shocked to see 23-24 "signed" with a couple going JUCO/prep and a couple displacing some transfers? I honestly feel the fishes/loaves exercise is basically impossible these days.

I wouldn't look at 20 as anywhere close to the number of kids signed since we're probably taking a flyer on at least a couple academic issues and we may have a kid or two leave due to coaching turnover. I wouldn't be shocked to see 23-24 "signed" with a couple going JUCO/prep and a couple displacing some transfers? I honestly feel the fishes/loaves exercise is basically impossible these days.

Totally agree with this... Max and Rene are probably a couple that are on thin ice... But gave the staff an excusee not to renew their scholarshis

You have to rember that Cali is just where he went to JUCO. He is originally from "Looosiana".

I wouldn't look at 20 as anywhere close to the number of kids signed since we're probably taking a flyer on at least a couple academic issues and we may have a kid or two leave due to coaching turnover. I wouldn't be shocked to see 23-24 "signed" with a couple going JUCO/prep and a couple displacing some transfers? I honestly feel the fishes/loaves
exercise is basically impossible these days.

Agree 100%. Plus, there's bound to be a player or two who flunk out in the spring, one or two that decide to move on because they don't connect with Shafer as the head coach, one or two who transfer in search of more PT, etc.

Happens every year.

Are these numbers taking into account those who will count towards last years numbers? I believe there are at least 3 that will count in that regard.

Simeon Thomas . Porter . Laray. Jaylen hunter
Go with Hard Committs, have a level headed talk with the three soft committs, with an understanding that if we have to move on to a solid committ with your offer, that is what we are going to do. (We need to avoid the 11th hour thing if we can) My three would be...

Thomas
Kimble
Moore

I think we may lose some "soft" guys, but adding Porter, Smith and Hunter to replace any ZA decommits. This is crazy how it is turning out. The one real committ I thought we had coming into the New Year was ZA, and he is the only defect so far. Then DM leaves and pulls virtually evrey staff person. Shaf gets the quick TO and we have faith in ya. Then he does nothing but impress all of us with his choices of staff, pulls and holds together a shaky recruiting class (at least so far) and his crazy mad dog recruitor goes McRibbing like nobody's business. Time to sit back and watch the "Express" again boys. How can you not be optimistic at this point!

With Gus Edwards out, that leaves another spot open. I don't think we automatically take a RB now. It is best player available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom