Like it or not Kentucky's way is the new blueprint for college basketball | Syracusefan.com

Like it or not Kentucky's way is the new blueprint for college basketball

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
ff-02.jpg

Player first, one and done, gather as many top 10 players as is possible, round it off with top 25 players, grab top transfers. Win right now, wave goodbye, wash, rinse and repeat. Adapt, compete or be left behind as also rans. Watch what happens on April 11th.

ff-02.jpg

Player first, one and done, gather as many top 10 players as is possible, round it off with top 25 players, grab top transfers. Win right now, wave goodbye, wash, rinse and repeat. Adapt, compete or be left behind as also rans. Watch what happens on April 11th.

It wont last long and a team would be foolish to try and follow that model. Takes too much of only going after the kids who already have the leeches hanging onto them and someone will go down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It's only a blueprint if it can be followed by multiple teams each year. And that is not possible. If a team tried to copy UK this year but did not get Anthony Davis would it have been a national championship contender. Nope. Only one team can get Anthony Davis.

At the end of the day, if your going the one and done route as a program, you still need that super elite prospect to put you over the top. And there are only one or two of those players each year - so its not really a blueprint that can be followed by multiple teams.

The best thing to happen would be if some program tried to do the exact same thing as UK with one and done prospects... dilute that talent base so that while both teams would be good (neither would be the best). Other programs can continue with the mix of short and long term players. Our 2010 team was not based on MC'D's and alot of our 2012 team was solid recruits that were fit for the system.

It wont last long and a team would be foolish to try and follow that model. Takes too much of only going after the kids who already have the leeches hanging onto them and someone will go down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

People forget it took Cal three classes of one and done's to get the right players to make the run AND he had the path cleared to the title thanks to injuries and upsets. He has to get kids that play well together, compliment each other's game, and have temperable egos. This was a special team. He isn't going to be able to do this every year. I thought the John Wall/DeMarcus Cousins team, on paper, had a better shot to win the whole thing at the beginning of that season. Talent isn't everything.

I'm not buying the model Kentucky is selling (in terms of longevity). Anthony Davis is a player that changed the dynamic of the game - regardless of whether he scored or not. I think Davis had more to do with Kentucky's success this year than Calipari or his ability to recruit top talent. The chances of that success being replicated consistently is low IMO. If Cal wants to do it, more power to him.

I wouldn't call it the new blueprint but it certainly is working for Kentucky. In 3 Calipari years they've gone 13-2 in the NCAA tournament - that's very impressive.

Trying to duplicate that success at, say, 10 other schools would be impossible because there aren't enough great high school players to go around nor are there enough Elite Eights, Final Fours, and National Championships available for 11 schools to have anything approaching Kentucky's NCAA record the last 3 years. With that said I would say maybe one or two other schools could try it but it'd be difficult to accomplish.

Personally, I have no problem with one-year players. If it wasn't for one of them SU wouldn't have won the championship in 2003 and probably wouldn't have made the Elite Eight either.